Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Aug 10, 2009 8:10 PM

twinskier
Foot Forward: Right

34 vs 36 mph

Basically, I get into a course 2-3 times a summer for the past 5 years.  I have never competed.  I am pretty solid at 34mph, 28 off and usually do not have much trouble getting most of 32 off at 34mph.  PB of 1 at 35off at 34 mph.  Some locals convinced me to enter a tournament and I am apparently in the mens 2 class which requires 36 mph.  I did 36 mph free skiing this weekend, and it is VERY different for me.  I may get one chance to run a course before this comp and try it out at 36, but is there any basic advice that I can get to make this transition?

#2 Mon, Aug 10, 2009 10:14 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: 34 vs 36 mph

In a word, it's faster. Yea, that sounds obvious. If you go out and make the exact same movement that you're making at 34mph, but the boat is going 36 instead, 1) you're probably going to be too narrow on your gate. So just make sure to get a good enough gate to start the pass at the higher speed. See Keys to Slalom Gates. Other than that, the tempo will obviously be a little faster at the higher speed.

Regardless of the boat speed, it's very important to make the pass feel slow in your mind. Your gate has to feel slow. If you go out and your gate feels hot and you scream into 1, you're already starting the pass late. So take your time, get out there early & wide on your gate, and don't worry about killing it thru the gates, but just try to get a good rhythym with the boat started from the beginning. If you can run through 32 off @ 34, 28@36 should feel about the same.

If you would like some more personalized help, try Virtual Coaching

#3 Tue, Aug 11, 2009 6:46 PM

twinskier

Wade,
You actually coached me up here in WI last year, and you told me the same thing when I was running 34 and it worked.  I should probably just stop over analyzing these things and remember what you have previously told me.  Thanks again.

#4 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 12:21 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Peter - When I saw Eau Claire WI I thought it might be someone from Island Lake. Great to hear from you!

Write the things you're working on down in www.MySkiLog.com and you might find that you are able to progress better when you can remember what you've been working on. It works best if you can write down your thoughts as soon as possible. A paper journal works great too, but it won't have the search and analytic features that we've got planned for MySkiLog. And it's Free!

Keep us posted on your progress!

#5 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 2:27 PM

twinskier

The ski log is really helpful, thanks.  I am heading up to island lake next week to start working on this.  Thanks again, and great website.

#6 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 2:59 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Say hi to the gang up there for me!

Board footer