Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Aug 1, 2009 1:02 AM

mmarra

2 handed gates to one handed gates

I'm looking for advice on learning how to make one handed turns.  I have been skiing for about 5 years and figure this is the next step.  I can't seem to find any articles/videos.  Thanks for any tips. Mike

#2 Sat, Aug 1, 2009 1:35 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: 2 handed gates to one handed gates

mmarra wrote:

I'm looking for advice on learning how to make one handed turns.  I have been skiing for about 5 years and figure this is the next step.  I can't seem to find any articles/videos.  Thanks for any tips. Mike

Not sure what the question is...  The topic title says: " 2 handed gates to 1 handed gates" but, the post asks for advice on 1 handed turns...

The 1 handed gate is a lot like the 2, 4, 6 ball turn except a lot slower with less counter rotation (as ski is not heading outbound) and obviously your Not laying out over the ball!

This is an "OLD SCHOOL" countering technique that will help to instill the counter rotation in someones technique. But, like a lot of things that "Need" to be implemented on the course, MUST be 1st practiced diligently AWAY from the wgt. & pressure of the course. While Free Skiing, develop a good rhythm, not Too aggressive, (just a little) then going into a turn, as you begin to reach or extend with one hand, simultaneously let your other hand/arm gracefully Swing Back at shoulder hgt. behind you. (it may look a bit odd but, keep the arm level and at or just below shoulder hgt.) As you continue doing this your timing will improve and your upper body will begin to Gently & Rhythmically follow suit. Once your upper body begins to Swing in unison, begin to "Over Exaggerate" the movement (this will engage your hips knees and ankles) and continue Skiing. You will begin to feel Fluid and very stable going through the turns. I like to incorporate this Technique every time in my warm up...

I think your "Swing Arm" is better suited somewhere near your back pocket. But, for trying to get the feel of this all the way from your grip to your ankles, you will do much better letting that arm counter rhythmically closer to shoulder hgt....

P.S. Forget the course and FREE-SKI, FREE-SKI, FREE-SKI!!!

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sun, Aug 2, 2009 1:18 AM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Tue, Aug 11, 2009 2:59 AM

sszost

Here is a link to MB and the one handed gate: http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=50124.
There are a bunch of other free / short instructional videos for different levels at: http://www.waterskimag.com/article/Inst … ion-Videos
Also, look at getting the West Coast slalom video with MB and TW. I have the video and must have watched it 50 times. The guys will go through turns and gates move by move. I think they did a great job: http://www.westcoastslalom.com/

#4 Thu, Aug 13, 2009 2:43 PM

RuralHack

Best solved on dry land. With a ski rope handle in your hand; walk around making one handed turns; first in private. Once you got it... Take it to the Mall. Promote Skiing Brother!!!

And always remember: Arc-it or Park-it!! Never ski flat

Last edited by RuralHack (Thu, Aug 13, 2009 2:45 PM)

Grew up at a ski school; started teaching old men like me at around 8 years old... I was a better teacher than my coach so I got to ski more if I taught them. wink

Board footer