Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 8:26 PM

Bubba

Taping blisters

First I'll say HI,.......I'm Bubba.....Dunno why ,but I am.
This'll be my first post.

You will find me to be rarely serious.
Nearly always politicaly incorrect.
Annoying....only on occasion I hope.

Here's my first Q,  and yes I did a search first.

Whats the best way to tape a blister that has torn off?
Hurts like bugger, and I don't want to blow off skiing tonight.
Oh, and i have to leave in a 1/2 hour.

Help.

cheerz
Bubba

#2 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 10:13 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Taping blisters

Tough it out... that's what every "Bubba" I've ever known would do.

TW

#3 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 10:37 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

Wear a pair of kevlar liners underneath your gloves.
This will help prevent the next set of blisters as well.

Good luck!

#4 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 1:37 AM

Bubba

Yep, tape +liners, all was good. I recall yonks ago an article in waterski mag
that detailed how to tape for blisters. I just kinda winged it from memory it worked
out ok.

Next time i'll chuck some glass shards in there to make Mr. Wayne proud -O-me.

cheerz
Bubba

#5 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 1:18 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34
Foot Forward: Right

Opinions on duct tape vs. athletic tape?

#6 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 3:04 PM

lagdawg

Blisters are normally caused by friction.  So the idea in taping to prevent blisters is really to try and reduce the amount of friction that occurs.   There are essentially two ways to eliminate friction one is to add in an extra layer that allows for movement without a lot of direct friction to the skin (tape or multiple layers of socks in boots etc) or eliminating any movement between different surfaces with a tight fit.  Most of the time taping or other measures to provide for reduced friction in most areas is easiest and most comfortable. 

I find that for pure blister protection duct tape is preferable to athletic tape because the surface provides for less friction than the surface of athletic tape.

#7 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 6:13 PM

minnescene

Hopefully you had kevlar at your fingertips in that half hour time span or Bubba gonna be hurting

#8 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 6:48 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Bubba, welcome to the forum.

For tape everyone's got their own style I guess but what i usually do is #1) try not to tear my hands up to the point I really need the tape. it's more fun w/o it. #2) when necessary, I use the duct tape / georilla tape is even better #3) I take one strip and start with my fingernail, go over the top of my finger, and lay it in on my finger w/my finger in a curved position. You're just trying to use the tape to allow the handle to slip over the sore spot, the tape isn't really going to help you grip any better. #4) so you've got the one strip from your finger down to your wrist, now wrap a small strip around your wrist to hold it in place. You can go around your finger w/ another strip if necessary but usually that will hold OK just by being around the top of your finger. #5) for all these taping suggestions, rip the duct/georilla tape into small strips, about a finger-width. No need to rip a wide piece of tape. #6) horizontal tape on your palm will bunch up w/ the handle so keep it running along the path the handle will slide in your hand.

Hope this helps, nothing like ski tips between bike rides! Back 2 the woods...

#9 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 9:41 PM

Rod S

Keep the calluses filed down so they don't build up and rip.  I use my wifes foot file... just don't tell her.

#10 Fri, Jul 31, 2009 12:45 AM

Zane
Foot Forward: Left

there is an article in the current issue of waterski that Carly Clifton wrote about how to tape your hands... even has pictures for the "smart" people like me. Thanks Carly....hope you guys are having fun in Utah.

#11 Fri, Jul 31, 2009 1:13 AM

BensonWdby

Couple tricks we learned at Ski Paradise for blisters - after the fact.
1.  Grind a freshly cut lime into the open blister...  Not sure if this is hazing  or has value but  I saw it done more than once.
2.  Superglue - several nice coats to hold things together.  Just paint it on ....  They use it during surgery
This was especially necessary if you were going to tape after the blisters opened up ..  I was lucky to not have to deal with the lime and super glue.

Preventative - My taping was pretty simple. I make something that looks like gymanstics palm protectors out of tape.   One full width from the base of the pointer and middle fingers, down the middle of the wristabout 2 inches past the bottom of the palm.   Then another one from the base of the remaining two fingers.  Then once around the wrist  to hold the two strips in place. 

In the water the tape adhering to the palm will realease but with this configuration it will not roll up inside your glove.  And since the tape is running the direction of the pull from the handle it stays put.  This allow shte gloves to slide against the tape instead of the hand.

Works for me ..
Dave

Here is an alternate method that Party Dave had developed:.  Took too long in my opinion and I did not trust the wrap around the top of the palm to not roll up ...
http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/~ben … e/P187.jpg

#12 Fri, Jul 31, 2009 5:18 PM

chrispenner

It seems like you where hooped going into it. I find it is always better to prevent then to try and fix after it has already happened. In this months issue of waterski mag there is a great little article on tapping and a great picture to help you understand it too. I have yet to try this method out but it looks good.

Cheers!

Board footer