Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jul 27, 2009 2:44 AM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge
Foot Forward: Left

Ski Tuning O'Brien Sixam, Radar Annex, up North in Cold Water

hi guys,

i just want to share with you some of my experience with ski tuning in cold clean water. I always tought i was doing things wrong with my skiing....and yes there is a lot to improve but i felt mt ski was finishing well the last half of the turn. I search the internet and found the excel sheet from FM site.

I was skiing on a o'brien sixam 1.1 67' (red and purple) on the recoomended  settings from this site. The ski was very good but always felt it could carry more speed trough the turn and finish better.

My lake is around 1 mile 1/2 of very clean water averaging this time of year 72-74. I set my fin to the recommendation from the FM program and my ski tip stayed down a lot more and i had better angle and width. I worked fine with the Sixam better than stock setting.

3 days ago with a new driver started me to fast handle slip and hit my sixam on the nose...splitting it ! duct tape it and finished my set. My best ski ever is broken and my wallet is empty...

Found a compromise in local shop and bought the best ski I could afford...end up with a 67' 2009 RADAR Annex. Cooming from the Sixam a top end machine i felt down a bit. But lets take it for a spin and we will see.

First ride out with the stock setting on FM site. I am not at all impress with the ski...not bad but sure a step down from my Sixam ( a ski i skied for 4 years with total trust). I have to admit i was not confident on the ski ( I also had a wicked fall the night before with my patch Sixam...they all told me it was the duct tape....we had a good laught with that one).

So next morning entered the numbers in FM excel shhet and adjust the Annex to those number. Same thing I did to my Sixam 3 weeks ago....not the same result. The Annex does not behave the same to fin adjustment than my Sixam.....I could not turn and the ski had a very grabby fell. I ended the set early affraid to take a big one .

I went to this site and looked at the proposed setting for the Annex and adjusted my ski to those specs...wich are a bit different than what my ski can with. Went out and hope to have a better set. Wow ! Chris you know those skis because it was a totally different animal....i never skied so smooth..i was earing the ski and fin whistle and i was carrying a lot of speed and angle....without much effort. I love my Annex now!

I need to change a bit my habits since this design want you to be very calm and not crank to much....does not impress the chick as much but on the water very efficacious.

OK what to take from this : Water texture and temp affect skis for sure but not all skis behave the same. If you have a sixam or an F1 ( 2 of my ski buddys are on those and are happy with the adjustment from the FM site excel program) the FM excel sheet works. For Radar skis Chris Rossi set up is working fantastic in my deep cold clean lake go figure. Do yourself a favor and start with Chris number and play from there. 

Radar skis rocks and the Annex is a very good ski, i bought it because I disn't have the money to buy the RS1 but i think this ski will help me acheived my goal this year.

PS.:Chris and Wade you did a good job with my friend Patrick this spring he bought a ski boat and is progressing well. He enjoyed the experience and coaching you gave him.

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

#2 Mon, Jul 27, 2009 1:35 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Ski Tuning O'Brien Sixam, Radar Annex, up North in Cold Water

Jerry,

I'm glad to hear that you've had some success setting your ski up. I have never used the FM excel sheet to dictate fin settings although I do appreciate what it is trying to do... it's a great idea. Maybe in a year or two we will have a similar predictive system incorporated into www.MySkiLog.com - the more background information you have saved, the better the system should be in the future, so log every set at www.myskilog.com

Maybe you and Patrick can come back this fall or next spring!

Keep rippin it!

#3 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 6:34 AM

Shark

bonjour - sorry to hear about the 1.1. Very hard to find used. I have a 1.1 I skied my best with it.  I also skied the MPD and the Annex. 

Two things - The annex you need to use Flex minus (-) 1 or -2 on the RS-1 tab, because it is a much softer ski. Heavier too due to the core. Also you are moving down 0.5" you'll be closer to "stock" settings which is what is listed on this site.  The annex is a great fit for your conditions, nice carving ski.

Knocks are the core doesn't have as much snap in the pull and it's heavy.  Also our CR Fins are a sweet upgrade to most skis if you are looking to put down tip.  Lucky Lowe even skis the CR pacific. He won the US Nationals on a Sixam and FM/CR fin. Great combo.

The Sixam can't be fixed?? Find a carbon fiber shop. We can also do repairs in the FM shop when things slow down (fall/winter)

Salut

Last edited by Shark (Wed, Jul 29, 2009 6:37 AM)

#4 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 1:12 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

I tried the FM spread sheet earlier this season. My first ride was a real eye opener! The ski was ('08 MPD) extremely fast, cast WIDE and turned on demand on both sides. I had heard people say to "carry the handle out to buoy line" but had never experienced that sensation. Now, the ski  explodes off the second wake and I'm real light on the handle. Since my first experience with this, our water temp. has increased by 12 degrees, so the ski lost that dynamic feeling. I tried the FM program again using the new water temp. and everything that I had felt before came back! I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but it sure has worked for me!  Thanks Paul!!!

#5 Thu, Aug 20, 2009 7:20 AM

suprasalad

Can you post a link to the FM xls sheet. I can't find it and just got my Annex and need to dial it in. Thx!

#6 Thu, Aug 20, 2009 12:43 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

#7 Thu, Aug 20, 2009 4:55 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right