Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jul 22, 2009 1:21 AM

JSKIER

direction maintenance

Hi-
i've read all the posts that i can find on this question but i still am having a problem.  my problem comes (like Chris referred to in the latest article) going flat from wake to buoy.  you end up fast and loose lined.  not much can happen good from there.  i can counter all i want on a flat ski and it doesn't do much for me.  i try my best to stay open...square...leading with my C/M...(twist and resist as Ed J. says)  However, i still go flat.  Matt Rini has said you must "get your hips off the inside edge" of the ski right after the edge change.  Can someone explain how you can do this and keep going outbound?  i understand how this makes you not "flat"  but then i just end up coming way too far to the inside...do i need to keep my upper body moving out more?  Is this a symptom of just a greater problem? 

thanks
Jskier

#2 Wed, Jul 22, 2009 2:36 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: direction maintenance

Jskier,

I like to stay simple as possible. So, without going on about 1000 different aspects, examples and bla, bla, blaaaaaaaaaa! I would HIGHLY suggest spending a fair amount of time FREE-SKIING. Get away from the coarse and work on  Under Turning (as opposed to over turning) and good clean Pulls...

I'll bet if you do that outside of the coarse at your own rhythm you will find along with a good pull comes an almost automatic edge change by the pull of the boat as you begin to stand up tall off the 2nd wake.

Then, just manage the rope with a good straight arm reach and gentle counter while allowing (not forcing) the ski to start it's slow carve  towards the apex (imaginary ball) of the corner.... Carve, Pull, Repeat!

Key words: FREE-SKI, UNDER TURN, RHYTHM, GENTLE and SLOW CARVE...

P.S did I mention Free-skiing!?!? -ha,ha!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Thu, Jul 23, 2009 1:51 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

You are too loaded up from the buoy to the wakes.  Concentrate on getting your hips up at the finish of the turn and feeling the pull come from your waist and NOT from your upper back.  You should not feel like you are playing tug-of-war with the boat, but rather finding a leveraged position and leaning away from the boat.  The key to this is to not worry about getting tons of angle.  Worry more about getting into the position and learning to trust lean and not load.

#4 Thu, Jul 23, 2009 4:41 PM

2gofaster

Chris or Wade said it on here once.................

The ski will edge change at maximum load, whether it's 6 feet from the buoy you just left or 6 feet before the buoy you are heading for. If you load too early, it results in a loss of direction. If you load too late it results in slack at the hookup.

Shane Hill

#5 Thu, Jul 23, 2009 6:31 PM

JSKIER

Thanks guys...i'll give it a shot!  one follow-up question:...what is meant by "Concentrate on getting your hips up at the finish of the turn"...i have always thought i desired to get my hips square...leading...and off the inside edge of the ski at the finish...or does "up" refer to "forward" ..?

thanks!
Jskier

#6 Thu, Jul 23, 2009 6:58 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

JSKIER wrote:

Thanks guys...i'll give it a shot!  one follow-up question:...what is meant by "Concentrate on getting your hips up at the finish of the turn"...i have always thought i desired to get my hips square...leading...and off the inside edge of the ski at the finish...or does "up" refer to "forward" ..?

thanks!
Jskier

I'm sure someone else has a better example. But, I'd say if you "Thrust your Pelvic area  forward" (while flexing your Glutes) as far as possible... -this is "hips up". Now just nail the ski handle to your inside hip during the Pull, while squared up to the boat with your shoulders and head. 

If you have not been doing this, it will feel totally whack for a while... I can only work on things like this free-skiing until it becomes automatic....smile

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Thu, Jul 23, 2009 6:59 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Fri, Jul 24, 2009 4:24 PM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

i too suffered (still suffer when I get anxious to make a buoy) of pulling those arms in after a buoy (bicep row) which pulls me straight down course and overloads the line...

Wade had me work on relaxing my arms, so I try to think about shaking my arms off prior to my 55 pull out and keeping my elbows almost locked out out of the buoy...

i still have lots to work on after the wakes in regards to that initial counter edge change after the 2nd wake going out into the buoy...

anybody have a video of this in slow motion, pointing out these motions...might help those of us "visual" learners...

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#8 Fri, Jul 24, 2009 5:05 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34
Foot Forward: Right

BuoyChaser wrote:

i still have lots to work on after the wakes in regards to that initial counter edge change after the 2nd wake going out into the buoy...

anybody have a video of this in slow motion, pointing out these motions...might help those of us "visual" learners...

Check out the video of Marcus going 30 mph...

http://www.fifteenoff.com/showpost.aspx?postID=32

Deke

Board footer