Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jul 20, 2009 12:54 PM

edwin191

How often to tighten the Rail?

I recently installed a Rail / RTP binding setup...love it!  I've skied it for 15 sets so far, how often does the plate need to be yanked to check the screws holding the Rail to the plate? I noticed some thread lock on the screws when installing it...just wondering how often the others make the check.

tnx!
edwin

#2 Mon, Jul 20, 2009 1:19 PM

lagdawg

Re: How often to tighten the Rail?

Edwin,

I would check it before every set.  Is the few seconds it takes to check or tighten screws on your bindings  really worth risk of injury?  I know someone who no longer is able to ski because he was riding a brand new ski that had the fin fall out because he didn't check it before he skied.  Besides even having something just a little bit loose can cause major issues with your skiing.   I have seen/heard many people who have been having major issues skiing where just a week or two before they were skiing great.  When they checked their equipment they found that something was loose, had moved, or was damaged.

Check your equipment every time out.  It just isn't worth the risk.

#3 Mon, Jul 20, 2009 1:24 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34
Foot Forward: Right

I haven't checked my RS-1's very often, but I would recommend checking the plate every set.  For some reason the screws want to loosen frequently on my ski.

Deke

#4 Mon, Jul 20, 2009 3:14 PM

edwin191

lagdawg wrote:

Edwin,

I would check it before every set.  Is the few seconds it takes to check or tighten screws on your bindings  really worth risk of injury?  I know someone who no longer is able to ski because he was riding a brand new ski that had the fin fall out because he didn't check it before he skied.  Besides even having something just a little bit loose can cause major issues with your skiing.   I have seen/heard many people who have been having major issues skiing where just a week or two before they were skiing great.  When they checked their equipment they found that something was loose, had moved, or was damaged.

Check your equipment every time out.  It just isn't worth the risk.

I'm not asking about the plate..got that one covered.   I'm asking about pulling the plate to check the mounting screws for the Rail binding screws which are under the plate...ie, just like your HO binding is screwed to it's mounting plate.

#5 Mon, Jul 20, 2009 3:33 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

More than likely you will have some sort of Loctite adhesive in with the screws holding your rails to the sequence plate. Check those every five to ten sets just to be safe and if you find them coming loose then remove, add more loctite, and put them back on. I second the other replies that the screws holding the plate to the ski should be checked every set as they have a tendency to move as the plate flexes.

#6 Mon, Jul 20, 2009 6:12 PM

2gofaster

I've been on RS1's which have the same insert arrangement. After the first five or six sets, those screws have remained tight without issue. I check them about once a month just to make sure. But so far, I've not had them loosening at all. I snug the screws holding the plate to the ski every set just to make sure.

Shane Hill

#7 Mon, Jul 20, 2009 9:12 PM

Andyb

I'm also on the rail and rtp, great boot. I check it probably every third week, the only time I have tighten it up was after my first 5 sets, other than that it has been fine.

#8 Tue, Jul 21, 2009 3:55 AM

edwin191

I went ahead and pulled the plate today.  The screws that attach the Rail to the plate only needed a slight nudge to get them snug again.  Based on what I say, I fully expect they'll only need a tightening a couple times a season.  Tnx for the replies...

Board footer