Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jul 2, 2009 6:30 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond
Foot Forward: Left

Help with 1@35 off

I really need some help with the 1 ball at 35 off... It seems so far away as I come up on it....  I try to get a slow gate but I feel like I am going straight to the 1 ball and then I try to turn it?

Any suggestions?

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#2 Thu, Jul 2, 2009 11:57 AM

2gofaster

Re: Help with 1@35 off

My bet is at a new harder pass you're letting the handle get away from your core, among other things. But if you keep that left arm in and the elbow pinned to your ribcage all the way from the edge change into the preturn, you'll find that the boat will keep pulling you outbound even when you think you're coasting. I would guess that in thinking you're narrow, you go ahead and release the handle early to try and get width and it does just the opposite.

Shane Hill

#3 Thu, Jul 2, 2009 2:36 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Sounds like to me that you are too slow in your glide.  Your turn in point is the moment in your glide where you match the boats speed.  If you miss this point, the boat will be pulling you through your turn in and you will be accelerating with insufficient ski direction.  Too straight at buoy 1.

Be fairly aggressive but progressive in your edge out for the gates.  Start looking for the matching point in your glide.  When you feel it, roll in.  It is very important to also listen to what Shane recommended once you have the ski rolled in.

#4 Fri, Jul 3, 2009 3:13 AM

H20SkiGirl

Thank you both for your help here...

I really like the way you said to pin down my left elbow and all the way through the wake/gate... One of the guys at the lake told me this week "It looks like you are standing straight up going into the 1 ball" and I could not think of what to do to fix this...  So if I pin down that elbow I am likly to change edges with plenty of time to rise, reach and counter~

Also excellent point form both of you on the glide and turn in.  I have felt that point before and it feels so good.  So I will make sure not to "under pull" out for the gate so I can feel that progressive pull through the wake/gate.... With my elbow pinned in!

I will think of this through the weekend as we are skiing 3 2 round tournaments in Sacramento. There are always some amazing skiers to watch as well~

Thank you for your help~

#5 Mon, Jul 6, 2009 1:13 AM

H20SkiGirl

Well all 6 rounds (3 tournaments) of skiing are done...  I never made it into 35, but then again I have never done that in a tournament... I came close today on my first round, getting 4.5 at 32...  I used both of your suggestions with every gate starting with my opener and on and it was VERY helpful...  I really tried to hold my left elbow back and through the white water. 

I did have Greg Badal in the boat when I almost ran 32 and he told me I need to get up on the boat a little more and then I will have a better turn in...  I did after that... That is what you guys had pointed out as well.

Thanks again guys!

Board footer