Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jul 7, 2009 2:13 AM

Scruffdawg
Foot Forward: Righty

Splashed in the face as I cross the wake

I am a newbie to this website but just love it. Thanks. I need help to solve a problem when I am crossing the wakes. I am getting a small splash of water coming up off the tip of my ski when crossing the wakes from balls one to two and three to four and five to six. I am right foot fwd. Is this technique or ski set up related and how can I fix?

#2 Tue, Jul 7, 2009 11:46 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Splashed in the face as I cross the wake

Sounds Like it could be from the ski not being on a good edge while crossing the wakes on your off side.  Body position could be more upright and a bit too far foward on the ski...

Got any video?

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Tue, Jul 7, 2009 2:47 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Some more specifics like speed, ski size, and your size would be helpful.

However, given the information I would bet money that you flatten out the ski right behind the boat.
That's your not so confident side right now and it's hard to keep everything moving in that direction
without feeling like you're on the razors edge (and not in a good way). Focus on being balanced on the ski, feeling the pull of the boat equally through both arms, and hold that position through the second wake.

#4 Tue, Jul 7, 2009 8:24 PM

Scruffdawg
Foot Forward: Righty

Thanks for the positve feedback. I don't have any video footage but that is a great idea. I am skiing @ 34 mph on a 67" connelly concept. I am 5'7 and around the 175 pound. I definately know that uneasy feeling on my off side as I have had my share of falls OTF.

#5 Thu, Jul 16, 2009 12:41 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Scruffdawg --

If you're RFF and catching water off the tip on your cut from 1-2 and 3-4, I would imagine that H2oDawg has it right. This is likely from a hunched forward upper body and / or extremely bent arms. It's hard to trust that offside cut but if you can lean your head back / roll your shoulders back / puff out your chest / straighten your arms more and you can probably take your face out of the path of that spray gob. Don't be afraid to lean back, falls out the back always hurt less than ones OTF.

#6 Sun, Aug 2, 2009 5:45 AM

chrispenner

Yeah these guys are right, I was having the same problem I too am RFF, I had ruptured my left ear drum about 3 years ago on that side and final decide to quite being a sissy and charge hard, I still got splashed in the face until a guy told me to relax the arms and I immediately was in a stronger more relaxed body position and stopped getting splashed in the face (in other words, my shoulders where square, chest up center of mass going in the direction of travel, arms straight and low etc). Only time I get wet now is if I ease up to early and let me ski flatten out or get in a bad position. H2oDawg and Wade have the more descriptive answer but if you do what they are saying it will greatly improve your skiing and you will not fatigue as easily. Good luck.

Cheers!

Last edited by chrispenner (Sun, Aug 2, 2009 5:47 AM)

Board footer