Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 9:10 PM

skidream
Skis At: Madison, Still Farm
Foot Forward: Left

HELP! FM E Series Vs. Reflex

Hello All!

I'm driving myself crazy with trying to find a replacement for my GOODE power shell setup!! I ski a rear loop with the power shell in the front. I am having trouble with the boot coming off on my off side turn (2,4,6) at around 32 and 35 off! Know I am building a conscious about it and I try to be really soft on the ski when I need to be aggressive and get angle on my off side! Its playing havock on my skiing and I need to either go back to a HO Animal rubber boot or go with either FM or reflex!

I guess I just need some advice on which direction to go! Pro and cons of both.  Which is better quality? Which one is safer?

Thanks!

Warming up!!!

Ski Hard or Go Home!!

#2 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 9:46 PM

skidream

Re: HELP! FM E Series Vs. Reflex

BUMP for HELP!!!

Warming up!!!

Ski Hard or Go Home!!

#3 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 9:58 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

If you are running a rear toe loop the Reflex boot will offer the best release capabilities and well as set up options for your ski. Make sure if you go with the aluminum mounting plate not the fiberglass one and good luck with your decision!

#4 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 10:34 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching

I switched to the Reflex last season and I could not be more happy with it. I also ski a rear toe loop and every time the binding releases my rear foot also has come out.

Collin why do you not like the carbon or the Textalium plates? I have a Textallium.

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#5 Wed, Jul 1, 2009 2:11 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

Carbon would be fine but i have seen the toe loop on the Textalium plate rip out going through the wakes resulting in a nasty otf. I would want the metal just for personal peace of mind.

#6 Wed, Jul 1, 2009 3:05 AM

MattP

Okay thanks for the heads up. I have not heard of that happening yet.

-MattP

#7 Wed, Jul 1, 2009 4:57 AM

Boody38

I tried the E series and after about 8 weeks, went back to my FM Quattros.  They were ok, but was not skiing as well as my Quattros, and not as comfortable.  A lot of great skiers are on the Reflex and that may be my next choice, but no point in switching anytime soon.  I am really happy with my FMs quattros, been on them for 5 seasons.

Also curious about the new HO hardshell that is coming out at Nationals.  They may only be able to mount on a new HO ski.

#8 Wed, Jul 1, 2009 8:20 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

If you haven't made a decision yet, I've heard enough good about the
Radar that I would give it some strong consideration.

Also, I've seen the new insert pattern for HO. It is reminiscent of the Fogman configuration, so I would expect the HO offering to be double boot or nothing. I wouldn't be too worried about proprietary inserts though. I would hope they would figure out some way to offer universal mounting, but at the very worst you could pretend you were mounting to a Warp by mounting the HO release to an aluminum or G10 plate and then mounting the plate to the ski.

We'll see though. Kudos to HO for maintaining the Christmas morning silence.

#9 Wed, Jul 1, 2009 11:13 PM

skidream

I think I will give reflex a try!! Thanks guys!

Warming up!!!

Ski Hard or Go Home!!

#10 Mon, Jul 6, 2009 5:49 PM

sszost

Below on the forum page I started the Reflex vs. Fogman discussion that you may also find helpful to read if you haven't already. Since then I purchased the Reflex with the carbon plate and have been skiing it for a month now. So far I really like it. I went with the Reflex (with the carbon plate) because no matter what site I went to I never did see a negative post about the Reflex. I also ski a rear toe plate. I was at the tourney last week in MI and talked with Chris Parrish for awhile (he was great to talk with, very open) and he has been skiing the Reflex with a Whiley rear since last June. He said he really noticed a difference in his skiing after just a couple of sets, and he really likes it. When looking at the purchasing the Reflex, on another site someone said to go through Bennett's ski school. I priced it from Bennett's and through Remi, and Bennett's did give me a considerably better price. Here is the link to Bennett's pro shop: 3eventstore.com
Good luck.

Last edited by sszost (Tue, Jul 7, 2009 12:10 PM)

#11 Mon, Jul 6, 2009 8:41 PM

MattP

Bennets gave me a good price too on mine. I felt a diffrence in my skiing when i swiched (all good things).

-MattP

#12 Thu, Jul 9, 2009 9:17 PM

sszost

A link to a good report on the Reflex at H2Osmosis: http://h2osmosis.com/spip.php?page=gear_reports

#13 Sat, Jul 11, 2009 1:59 AM

ChrisRossi

I would go Reflex with the aluminum plate.

#14 Sat, Jul 11, 2009 3:56 AM

jphelan

Chris,

Can I ask why the aluminum vs. carbon?  I'm curious as I'm in the market for a new binding system and have been looking at Reflex with the carbon plate.

Jim

#15 Tue, Jul 14, 2009 11:28 AM

ChrisRossi

I just like to have the most secure mounting equipment possible and find the aluminum to be the best.

#16 Tue, Jul 14, 2009 9:49 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Just curious Chris. Have you ever locked down the ends of the sequence plate to purposely mess with the skis flex (or possibly before you guys worked out the floating plate)? Was there a noticeable change in performance, and what was that change?

Board footer