Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Jun 26, 2009 2:28 AM

bajaj1027

replacing insert on rs-1

One of my inserts came out when i was taking my bindings off the other day, so i was wondering what the best way of remounting it to the ski was... i still have the insert just not sure what the best way to get it back in is... thanks in advance.

#2 Fri, Jun 26, 2009 2:55 AM

2gofaster

Re: replacing insert on rs-1

Go to the hardware store and get a 3/4" machine screw that fits the insert. I believe it's 6-32. Also get two nuts.  Put the nutson the machine screw, then thread it into the insert. Now, put a small drop of marine epoxy on the outside of the insert and thread it into the ski. You can then put a wrench on the outside of the nuts and turn the screw out with a screwdriver. Had to do one just the other day just like this.

Shane Hill

#3 Fri, Jun 26, 2009 3:00 AM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

what kind of ski?

#4 Fri, Jun 26, 2009 12:55 PM

2gofaster

Radar Senate C

Shane Hill

#5 Fri, Jun 26, 2009 5:01 PM

Thomas Wayne

2gofaster wrote:

Go to the hardware store and get a 3/4" machine screw that fits the insert. I believe it's 6-32. Also get two nuts.  Put the nutson the machine screw, then thread it into the insert. Now, put a small drop of marine epoxy on the outside of the insert and thread it into the ski. You can then put a wrench on the outside of the nuts and turn the screw out with a screwdriver. Had to do one just the other day just like this.

Excellent advice, but I would add one step.

Before re-installing the insert take a triangular file and cut a small vertical notch into the outside threads of the insert.  Now the epoxy has a "detent"  it can ooze into, and when it cures this will create a mechanical lock that prevents the insert from rotating.  Epoxy - even a high-grade marine type - has a hard time forming a permanent bond with metal, but the mechanical grip caused by the notch will make any subsequent bond failure irrelevant.

TW

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/INSERTMOD.jpg

#6 Mon, Jun 29, 2009 9:29 PM

owenjas
Foot Forward: Lefty

Has anyone else had inserts on RS1s/Rails coming out, someone at my club had all the inserts rip out the bottom of his rail boot, which I guess is built on the same base as the RS1?

#7 Mon, Jun 29, 2009 9:42 PM

2gofaster

We're talking inserts in skis, not boots. I've yet to see an RS1 or Rail boot have the inserts fail. My guess is that the screws were overtightened.

Shane Hill

#8 Sat, Jul 18, 2009 8:55 PM

bajaj1027

Thanks everyone used all your tips and everything went smoothly and have not had any problems since!

Board footer