Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 5:24 PM

Colin_38off

Stiff Ski Setup

I asked for a stiff ski under the feet and got it.  Can make work on off side with fin adjustment, but ski is staying up (free) on ON side.  Have tried moving fin back, shallowing,and moving bindings forward.  tradeoffs everywhere!  Any other suggestions!

Last edited by Colin_38off (Thu, Jun 25, 2009 5:25 PM)

#2 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 10:59 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Stiff Ski Setup

Schnitz has written (some years ago) about the effects of softening the top edge of the ski - meaning changing the top edge from a sharp near-ninety-degree edge to something more beveled or rounded.

If I remember correctly a shaped top edge will cause the ski to ride deeper in the area of the modification.  No idea if this will help your problem, but I'd suggest you find his article and consider if it could be of use for your situation.  Remember that this mod is NOT reversible, so if you decide to try it take tiny little bites between test rides.
TW

#3 Fri, Jun 26, 2009 2:20 AM

KM
Foot Forward: Right

Colin,

What make, model, and size stiff ski do you have?

Last edited by KM (Fri, Jun 26, 2009 3:03 AM)

#4 Fri, Jul 3, 2009 1:50 PM

Colin_38off

prefer to stay away from ski type - looking for professional technical feedback on this advanced question.

#5 Sat, Jul 4, 2009 2:38 AM

KM

Did you try pivoting your rear boot a little more?  I have mine pivoted 9/16". 

I, too have a very stiff ski (Goode 9900SL Custom Flex), so this topic interests me.

#6 Sat, Jul 4, 2009 2:14 PM

ChrisRossi

I would be interested to know if you gained or lost tail rocker with the added stiffness.  If you have the same ski and it is a softer version, put them side by side on a granite counter top and see if there is a visual difference of tail height.

#7 Sat, Jul 4, 2009 2:15 PM

ChrisRossi

Why did you ask for a stiffer middle section of your ski?  What are you feeling while skiing on the stiffer ski?

#8 Fri, Jul 10, 2009 2:42 PM

Colin_38off

I felt the stock ski was too soft compared to what I was used too - tried 3 and validated all against flex machine (was 100% correct) so i went with stiff layup.  Got it and was not able to make it work on ON side.   Now i am tagged to get in between stock and Stiff layup.  Have ridden several ski models this year and they are much closer than the old days!  It appears flex is more importnat than ever!  In general, are most of the pros/shortline skiers ridding stock layups?

#9 Sat, Jul 11, 2009 1:58 AM

ChrisRossi

i would say yes

Board footer