Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jun 24, 2009 2:21 PM

GarrettGroller
Foot Forward: Right

Better Off Side

My off side turn is better than my on side turn. It has felt more comfortable since the beginning of this season and I have just witnessed it on video for the first time.

Has anyone heard of this before? Any tips to improve my on side?

#2 Wed, Jun 24, 2009 5:56 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

Re: Better Off Side

Garrett Groller wrote:

My off side turn is better than my on side turn. It has felt more comfortable since the beginning of this season and I have just witnessed it on video for the first time.

Post the video?

#3 Wed, Jun 24, 2009 8:33 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Oh yes. It can happen.

One way to improve your onside: bring the same level of concentration and precision to each direction.

Right foot forward, I come into one. Okay, I kept a nice light line through the gate, I'm keeping control of the handle, I start to counter, meet up with the handle on the other side of the buoy, feel the pull of the boat evenly through both arms, and now I've got gobs of angle with a surprisingly light line. I'm nice and wide coming into two. Two is easy, I don't need to think about two. I just go. Just do it: there's no time like the present to start planning my turn around three. I probably sit back a little. I don't carry as much speed, I reach back for the handle just a little bit to much, and I take too much of the load on my right arm and I auger in. The turn is more square and chunky than that long sweeping turn I had at one.

That's not much of a tip, but I've found myself acting like the odd buoys are the only ones that count.

Last edited by HO 410 (Wed, Jun 24, 2009 8:36 PM)

#4 Wed, Jun 24, 2009 9:46 PM

GarrettGroller

Actually, I feel it more when I am free skiing than when I am in the course.

#5 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 12:25 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Garrett Groller wrote:

Is this happening Without any equip. changes?  If so, could you have bumped your fin into a different setting then you had last season?smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 2:28 AM

GarrettGroller

New ski this year.

#7 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 10:59 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Garrett Groller wrote:

New ski this year.

I'm Not the Pro here but, if it were me, I would find out what the factory settings are and check the ski ti see where it is at this time. ( a New ski is Not always at factory spec.'s off the shelf...)

2nd. I might scribe a line (with a sharpy pin ) on the fin where it meets the ski and then loosen the fin block   (if it has one)
and lower the Back of the fin (deeper into the water) approx: 1/32" leaving all other fin settings the same as they were. then test the ski for a set or two and see if this is better or worse...

"Warning" do not move it more then 1/32" up or down per adjustment as this small amount is worth up to 3" of difference in planing hgt. to the front of the ski!!!

GOOD LUCK!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 1:05 PM

GarrettGroller

I have the ski dialed in per Chris Rossi's recommendations and like the way it feels. It's probably my technique. I'll try to post some video soon.

#9 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 1:50 PM

2gofaster

definitely post video. There's so many things, both technique and setup that could affect things.

Shane Hill

#10 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 5:25 PM

Rod S

That was one of my issues last year.  My offside turn just ripped but the onside was OK.   I finally learned that since I was getting such a good rip offside going into my onside I was pulling long, not keeping the handle in during edge change AND not counter rotating.   No binding or fin tricks- just got off the gas sooner and countered through the turn.   At first I thought I would run the onside narrow but you don't as the ski continues to cast out and you get a great turn.

#11 Thu, Jul 2, 2009 8:38 AM

ripitup

myself and a pall of mine had this mid season last year. my theory is your pulling on your onside so your often earlier but more crucially your edge change is more controlled and direct. pre turn is critical to a successful turn.

Board footer