Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 2:05 AM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Adjustment w/ Temp Change - Help

I don't mess w/ my setup very often - really working on basic form in course and just trying to get consistent. I try very hard not to blame poor skiing on stuff rather than me just not getting it done - this is typically proven out when I have a really good set on the same exact setup that I struggled on the previous day.

That said, it has gotten pretty clear over the last 18-20 months that I have a much harder time in warm water. I've been skiing in 69-73 deg water for 5-6 weeks and was having some sets I felt really good about, then jumped in 80deg water tonight and could not get going.

Right off the dock I skied inside 2 ball by 3 feet, and had width problems the entire set - I haven't struggled with this recently until today.  Then, I had such a hard time being smooth - especially wake to buoy. My ski felt grabby and sloppy. The turns felt really slow and sinking. I also had a harder time getting balanced on the way to the wakes, but this may have been from sloppy turns...

Last week in 73deg water, I loved my pre-turn, reach/counter and speed off the buoys - it was easy to keep speed high in the turns, stay open, and ski back to wake w/ light line.

So, my question - what change(s) should I try with my skiing or ski-setup to make 80deg water feel like 73deg water?

Thx ahead!

Last edited by miski (Tue, Jun 23, 2009 2:11 AM)

#2 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 2:08 AM

miski

Re: Adjustment w/ Temp Change - Help

2006 Sixam 1.0  -  67.5"

Front         DFT:         Deep:       Long:       Wing:       Leading Edge:
30.195      0.8          2.505        6.865          8               7.665

5'11", 175lbs, LFF

34mph, -22'

Last edited by miski (Tue, Jun 23, 2009 2:11 AM)

#3 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 12:01 PM

JayG

#4 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 12:51 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 1:43 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Along to the FM TECH link, FM has an inter-active spread sheet where you can you can put in your ski, weight, water temp, density and it will spit out suggested fin/boot placement. I am on the heavy side for my ski and was having some problems so I tried this fin program and was pleasantly surprised with the out come! Try it!

#6 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 2:16 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

The warmer the water gets the slower it is going to feel. Maybe run a little less wing (7) Doug and see how that does for you. Also looks like your length measurement is pretty long so you might want to try taking some out. Remember to only do one movement at a time and never more than .010. Looking forward to hearing results!

#7 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 4:50 PM

matuszewski

Steven H - do you have a link to this spreadsheet - i couldn't find it on the FM website.  thx.

#8 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 7:48 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

#9 Fri, Jun 26, 2009 4:54 PM

miski

Owe a post here - Thanks Collin

Defintly good results w/ reduced wing angle - went from 8 to 6 - wider, faster, smooooth!
Going to try reduced length next.

Before wing change, I was back in cooler lake, and was much better than previous night (74deg vs 80deg) - still thought skiing was better few weeks ago, so went ahead with wing change.

I am going to be on this in the future! Now that I think back over the last couple of years that I have pretty much left my setup constant, I think there was a trend that the warmer it was, the worse I skied - ie mid-summer slump. Now I think that I've been frustrating myself all this time because I didn't think I was skiing at a level where I needed to worry about setup adjustments.

I checked out FM stuff too, but my ski is not in there...

#10 Sat, Jun 27, 2009 4:40 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

miski,

You might e-mail Paul to see if he has that one. I think he used to ride that ski.

#11 Sun, Jun 28, 2009 1:18 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

Hey Doug thanks for the shout and glad to hear that helped. Wanted to say something about your fin length and also your DFT but figured one thing at a time. Your skiing from what i've seen definitely will feel some fin changes so have fun experimenting and if you have any questions i'll try to answer as best I can or pass them up the line to Wade and Chris. Good luck with it and let me know how you progress.

Board footer