Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 6:19 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond
Foot Forward: Left

Why do I ski so differently in a tournament?

hmm  We just hosted our first tournament of the year!  There were 2 tournaments with 2 rounds each and I did not ski good at all (at our home lake and behind a similar boat)... Even when my practices have been great!  Finally my 4th round I skied to my tournament Personal best (in buoy score), but when I watched the video I skied horrible...  I was pulling up on the handle at the turn and pulling so hard...  Why?  And what can I do to prepare myself for the next round of tournaments???  sad

I realize there are so many settings on the Zero Off that I am not used to, but I should be able to ski with the same form and the same felling that I do behind our home boat...  Please any suggestion are welcome!

Last edited by H20SkiGirl (Wed, Jun 17, 2009 6:20 AM)

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#2 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 3:27 PM

JayG

Re: Why do I ski so differently in a tournament?

Glad to see this topic, you are not alone.

My wife's normal practice is with Perfect Pass 6.4 behind 2002 CC 196 at 34mph 15/22/28, 115 lb kx normal.  She never used Zero Off until 2 weeks ago at her 1st tournament in 2 years.

It was a last minute decision to enter and she had not researched ZO settings.  Poor 1st round behind Malibu at B2 setting, she says pull was very different and she was scrambling as she fell on opening pass.

Rounds 2 & 3 she tried C2 behind Nautique and MasterCraft w/ C1 and liked it better but could not finish 22.  That is usually an easy pass for her but I think the A,B,C confusion got in her head.

Her plan for this weekend tournament is C2 behind the Malibu & Correct Craft and C1 with the MasterCraft. 

Any advice appreciated.  Should we change KX or make other changes to PP 6.4 during practice?

#3 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 4:08 PM

H20SkiGirl

JayG, That sounds like me ...

Your wife and I ski at the same speed and passes and I ski behind a 2005 Nautique in practice with Star Gazer Lite.  I have tried the old ZO and thought I liked C and then it switched between B and A with last years model.  And now it has changed again with the ABC 123.

We had all 3 boat at our tournament and I was blessed to have the Nautique (Because that is what I usually ski behind) on my first 3 rounds.  I tried B2 and never switched because I thought if I stay the same, maybe I will have something stable...  I fell early on all 3 of these rounds?  It seemed like there was no boat there for me?  Then 4th round I skied behind the Big MasterCraft with B2 and tied my personal best from 2007???

I did ask a lot of questions on the dock and B2 was where a lot of the folks were skiing...  Seemed like as the tournament went on a few people were switching to B3, C1 or C2.  So my thought is to try something a little stronger like C?

hmm

#4 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 4:19 PM

2gofaster

C is not stronger. It just picks you up sooner off the ball.  From my experience this year, this is what I see.........

22 off and under skiers:

They seem to like B, with B1 being used behind the MC, B2 behind the Nautique, and B3 behind the Malibu.

28 off and shorter skiers:

They seem to like C, with C1 being used behind the MC, C2 behind the Nautique, and C3 behind the Malibu.

All bets are off with 36mph skiers because we really only have a few. 90% of our skiers at the tournaments are 34mph.

Shane Hill

#5 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 5:08 PM

H20SkiGirl

2gofaster,

This is good to know... I am going to try "C" next time no matter what boat.  I wonder if our lake boat (2005 CC 196) can get the new ZO?

Good to know about "C" picking you up earlier and not being stronger...  I think that will help !

#6 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 5:35 PM

JayG

from http://zerogps.com/information.php?info_id=25

What boats will Zero Off be available for?

Currently the Zero Off speed control system only works on 2007-2008 boats with a drive-by-wire, GM 5.7L & 6.0L engines that use an eControls ECU.

#7 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 7:27 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

There was a thread on the waterskiforum on wednesday May 13th by clemsondave that was very informative! It has explanations and graphs to show the moment of load and explanations of the ABC 123 settings. Pretty good stuff!

#8 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 12:10 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

JayG wrote:

from http://zerogps.com/information.php?info_id=25

What boats will Zero Off be available for?

Currently the Zero Off speed control system only works on 2007-2008 boats with a drive-by-wire, GM 5.7L & 6.0L engines that use an eControls ECU.

Isn't it rather strange how the Powers that be have completely shut out the Really good folks at Perfect Pass and then decided for all of us that we all Now need to update our boats just so we can practice with the new Monopoly system???

What a freakin' joke!    What Boob had this "sport saving" idea?  Wait a minute, how many Boobs did it take to go along with this???roll

ZO -just another nail in the Slalom coffin...sad

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#9 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 6:02 AM

H20SkiGirl

So I go out today and ski for the first time since our tournament and run into 35 off so smooth...  What gives?  I know our lake is soft and our boat is pretty sweet... 

How do I make it harder in practice so that when it comes time for my next time in a tournament if feels easier?  We can't get the Zero Off in our 2005 Nautique... Any quick fixes for me???

#10 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 2:03 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec

I've been thinking about something similar - not tournament specific, but for when you get upset in a given pass. My reaction coming to the buoy if I felt late at all was to lose all the form I've been working on and go shoulders forward & butt back - then if I made the turn w/o falling, give up my counter trying to get back on the handle right away.

I'm so inconsistent right now, that every few passes or sometimes every few turns this is happening, which is killing my progress. So, in the middle of a frustrating set last week, I decided if I was going down, I was at least going to keep my position. All of a sudden I was making all thes buoys that I felt or actually was late for and even started catching up relatively easier for the rest of the pass.

So I feel like I changed my "scrap" reaction from a real negative, to a big positive... I just hope I can keep this going.

#11 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 4:01 PM

RC

H20SkiGirl wrote:

So I go out today and ski for the first time since our tournament and run into 35 off so smooth...  What gives?  I know our lake is soft and our boat is pretty sweet... 

How do I make it harder in practice so that when it comes time for my next time in a tournament if feels easier?  We can't get the Zero Off in our 2005 Nautique... Any quick fixes for me???

What I've been doing is skiing PP Classic on my 2002 SN with KX++. With that setting and using C2 in the tournament last weekend, I was able to ski closer to my practice averages (mid 35) and the boat didn't feel so hard. I have been afraid to try ++ on PP or C on ZO, but I put all that behind me since my tournament scores have sucked so far this year. Turned out those settings are not so much harder than what I was using (Normal on PP and B1 on ZO).

#12 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 6:22 PM

H20SkiGirl

MiSki,

That was a pretty funny reply as I could picture the shoulders forward and butt back when I get into trouble stance...  But I like the fact you opted to try to ski with good form and crach rather than bad form and maybe make it...  Sounds like it is paying off.  After my first set last night I too opted to try and ski with my head up and boy was it tough because I straightened my legs or something (I will continue to work on this however)...

RC

What I've been doing is skiing PP Classic on my 2002 SN with KX++. With that setting and using C2 in the tournament last weekend, I was able to ski closer to my practice averages (mid 35) and the boat didn't feel so hard. I have been afraid to try ++ on PP or C on ZO, but I put all that behind me since my tournament scores have sucked so far this year. Turned out those settings are not so much harder than what I was using (Normal on PP and B1 on ZO).

Regarding your suggestion... I am headed to the lake in about an hour and I will be sure and put the boat on KX++...  Thank you~  Hey have you ever tried running at a little faster speed to make things seem easier at a tournament?  I know that may seem like a bad idea, but maybe just 34.6???

#13 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 6:40 PM

RC

I'd ski a few sets and get used to ++ first, then maybe pick it up a half mph. If you do both at once, it may scare you off before it can help you.

A poster on the BOS forum suggested dropping crew weight down and upping skier weight. This would also cause PP to engage the pull more firmly and might help. I have not tried that one yet. I can say that if you ski perfectly with ZO, it doesn't feel that different or even bad. It's when you get out of position that ZO feels so brutal...

#14 Fri, Jun 19, 2009 6:12 AM

H20SkiGirl

Thanks RC....

I went out today and checked the boats KX and it was at ++... 

From checking with the guys it has been at ++ all year!  Tomorrow I will try picking up the MPH a little and see how that goes...  We did start pretty early in the season and now 34 is feeling slow so maybe this will be a good thing...

Then I am going to change the crew weight  later on to see if that will make a difference.... We don't have skier weight anymore because it is Feather, Light, Normal and XL... 

Today I was pretty consistant 2 sets and both were 5 at 32 off...  I am happy with that!  But I can't seem to get comfortable with tournaments...  Every year they get to me...  I am going to read a book about performance and maybe that will calm my nerves a little....  Thanks for all or your helpful tips~

#15 Fri, Jun 19, 2009 12:31 PM

2gofaster

Go watch the pros ski at a tournament. Or the top Big Dawgs.  I'd like to see Rossi or Wade reply here. I bet they have a warmup that includes plyo, stretches, some running, jumping jacks, etc. And they do it RIGHT before they ski. So that when they drop in the water, the heart rate is up, the body is warm, and they can go out and ski at top intensity.  It's not only a mental thing. It's also a physiological thing.  At least in our tournaments I usually go to, you'll see people doing a few stretches 30 minutes before they ski. That's better than nothing, but does nothing to get your mind/body into the groove to go out intense and rip it.

Shane Hill

#16 Fri, Jun 19, 2009 4:24 PM

H20SkiGirl

I would like to see them reply as well...  I have been to a couple of Big Dawg and remember seeing a lot of streching and running...  We will be going to the Diablo Shores Pro-Am in September~  This is such a great event.   I will try that today, but I don't get those same nervouse feelings when I am skiing for practice

I just found a book that my husband read and I am going to try my best and read it too... It is called "In Pursuit of Excellence" 4th edition by, Terry Orlick, PhD.  It is all about preparing the mind for excellence in sporting events...

Anyone other things you guys do to prepare yourselves for tournament skiing?

#17 Fri, Jun 19, 2009 5:36 PM

2gofaster

Once I found a warmup routine, it's so much easier to get in that zone. I could go out to the front yard and do my ski warmup, crank up the lawnmower and attack the lawn with the same intensity that I ski at now. Or attack my truck with a bucket of soap and water with the same intensity. Once you get to where you can start getting into that zone, you'll find the site doesn't matter as much. Or if the wind picks up, it won't matter as much. This is something that I've only found recently as the last few years I've had the same experience as you.

Shane Hill

#18 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 7:11 PM

dleenhouts

Back when I was running track & x-country in college, the warmup of choice before a race was about 10 minutes of very slow jogging about 40 minutes prior to the gun (not enough to get the heart rate up much, if at all), then stretching & staying off your feet for 20 minutes, then staying as relaxed as possible at the starting line. But it was definitely more of a psychological thing since it took me about 7 years to find something that made me comfortable. No matter what I did, there were always butterflies in the stomach. And nowadays, I hear there's a debate on whether stretching before a race helps or hurts one's performance.

IMHO, it's all going to vary between people. What works for some might not work for others.

#19 Wed, Jul 1, 2009 5:28 AM

H20SkiGirl

dleenhouts~

What a good tip...  Try out many different things until you find your own "thing" that works for you...  I am trying to get into the mode before I ski in practice so I can pretend I am really in a tournament... 

Honestly I read my ski log before I ski to give me insight to what worked and what did not work on the last set...These things change from pass to pass. 

When I drop I also think about what I will do at the start of my next pass and I try to make my drop time quick instead of taking a couple of minutes!

What do you think the pro's think of???

#20 Thu, Jul 2, 2009 6:24 AM

H20SkiGirl

OK...  So we have "3"  2 round tournaments in Sacramento this weekend and I have done a lot of thinking on what to think about prior to my ride...

All of your suggestions have been great and I really hope some of you have learned a little something too as I have....

I will be thinking of skiing in practice as I have been... I will be getting a slow gate with awesome angle and as I come into each buoy I will Rise, Reach, Open and Wait..................................  Then do that again 5 more times...

I will report back....

Board footer