Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 6:24 PM

outofthesaddle
Foot Forward: Left

Ski for a "new to the course" skiier

I need some help selecting a first ski.  I’ve been doing some free skiing for the past couple of years and this season have access to a closed course.  I’m 43 years old (don’t know why I waited so long) and I weigh 155.  I’m currently skiing on an older 66” Connelly Rocket.   A neighbor gave it to me so I don’t know how old but it looks to be late ‘80s/early ‘90s. 

I was looking at Senate, Senate C, F1X and Concept.  My immediate goal for the season is to  work on form and just to consistently get through the course.  I’m skiing right around 30 mph right now.   All other things being equal, Connelly is a little easier because the local shop has demo options for the F1X and the Concept.

#2 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 9:37 PM

Brady
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Ski for a "new to the course" skiier

Give the guys at H2Osmosis a call and try their "ride to buy" program.  They will let you try a ski for 2 weeks - keep it if you like it; send it back if you don't and they'll send you another ski to try.  I ended up with the 2009 Senate and it is a great ski.  I feel really comfortable on the ski at 30-32 mph and I'm skiing better than I ever have.  A 65" is probably the best size for you.

#3 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 11:35 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

The Senate ski's are great for sure!  And demo.'ing or ride 2 buy is the way to go...

If your 40-ish and skiing @ 30 mph then I might also consider the Radar "Theory" which will give you about as much performance as you will need in the coarse @ 30 mph and even slower! Which will allow you to work on solid technique, form and timing comfortably at a slower pace.   (I hear that Rossi took a Theory to 39 off!)

"But Wait thats Not all"... You'll also have an INT approved ski that will be ready for the INT 30 mph  Wide ride division if you ever want to go check out the local tournament scene!wink

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Tue, Jun 16, 2009 3:55 AM

Blair

i am going to have to go with the classic... support your local shop...

the F1X and the concept are both great ski's... the F1X will be a little more agressive... and with it being a wider ski will be good for you while skiing at 30...

try em both... and make sure you give em each about 10 sets if you can before making a descision...

#5 Tue, Jun 16, 2009 12:02 PM

AL

I have a 2007 F1X . Think it's equal the 2009. I ski the course at 30 and some balls at 32. It's a great ski. The only "but" is I bought the 67 and I weight 140.  The 65 could be better but it was the only one available (I made some fin settings). It worths the try.

#6 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 12:34 AM

outofthesaddle

Thanks everyone for the good advice.  Seems like there are a few skis out there that might work well.  Based on the responses it seems like a good option might be to demo an F1X and see how it works.  Thank again.

#7 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 4:42 PM

JasonHutchins
Skis At: I wish I had a place

The best advice I can give you is to stay away from a traditional shaped ski, in that I mean get a wide ride.  Secondly, if your focused on learning the course and working on proper tech. don't be shy in getting the 67.  If you can try both sizes, and remember the best way to learn the course is slow, working on proper technique and not scrapping for your life.  The best skis I have used in teaching people to run the course are (in order) the, HO Triumph, either Radar, and the F1X.  Good luck and have fun this summer!

#8 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 6:42 PM

snow1122

Hi Jason,

I've a similar question for you.
I've been slalom skiing for the last 5years, just as last year I've been making the course at 26mph on a Kidder Redline, I know old ski, but I've encountered multiple challenges as you all probably know. Boot set too far back, fin issues, new fin box with wing (I know now no fin required for slower speeds) and not to mentioned learning to ski, ski the course plus wakeboarding, tricking and barefooting skiing (no jumping yet).
Oh well, it sure keeps life interesting.
Now, I'm making the course with both gates but I'm wondering if I should get a new ski and take my slalom skiing to the next level.
I'm a female, 5'7, 133lbs skiing on a Kidder Redline 66', 15off, 26-27mph behind a Malibu Flightcraft barefoot out board boat.
I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!

#9 Sat, Jun 20, 2009 1:28 AM

JasonHutchins

Though your old Kidder Redline is a great ski, you will benefit greatly and expedite your progress by moving to a newer shaped ski.  The wider shaped skis give you the support you need at slower speeds, but still feel and perform like a traditionally shaped ski at 34 or 36.  You will naturally build better habits on a ski designed for your ability level and speed and it will also allow you work on more advanced and efficient movements as you keep progressing your skiing.  I promise.  If you can try some skis out.  Skis like the HO Siren, Radar Lyric, and Connelly F1X should be high on your list and I would recommend a 65".  Hope this helps and have fun out there in all your water riding activities!

#10 Mon, Jun 22, 2009 5:42 PM

snow1122

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for your response.
Yes, I've been waiting to buy a new ski based on my husband input that I don't need a new ski until I can run the course at 30mph. That been said, my old Kidder has been through some many changes to accomodate my style, speed, etc. that I think with a new ski I'll have a chance to progress a bit faster.
Yes, I'll look into those specific models and size as well.

Thanks again!

Snow

#11 Mon, Jun 22, 2009 5:55 PM

AL

Jason

I own a F1X 67". I'm 5,7"; 140lbs; 48 years. Run the course 30mph (15 off). I put the finn all forward to turn confortably.
Do you think it will be a good improvement to change for a F1X 65" or do you suggest I should change for something else?

Thanks

#12 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 4:25 PM

JasonHutchins

I think you could move down to a 65" as long as you're not going below 30mph that much.  So are you warming up at 26, up to 28, and running 30 on a good day?  Or do you just go out and run 30 all the time and maybe try 32 a bit?  The F1X is a great ski, but I think you would be missing out if you didn't try the Radar Senate or HO Triumph to at least feel some other skis out.  If you are running 30 every time and working your way down 32, I would highly recommend the Senate.  Hope this answered your question.

#13 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 5:45 PM

AL

I started the season on the course 15 days ago (I usualy ski on open water 30-32mph even 34mph). I warm up at 28 and till now never missed a pass. Then I go to 30 and I'm now running 2 passes on 3-4. I think I will be trying 32 soon (my best is 4@32 two years ago but I got injuried and stoped skiing for a while). I really would like to try the Senate or any other ski, but I have to take the risk of order one without trying it (I live in Portugal). I asked you about the F1X because it is the ski I'm using, but any way I'm ready to take the risk and order a Senate if you think it would (maybe) be a good option (and the radial bindings seem to be great !)The only one I can try is the Monza or the A1, but I think it is not the best option and are very expensive...

Thank you for your availability.
Regards

Alvaro

Last edited by AL (Tue, Jun 23, 2009 5:52 PM)

#14 Wed, Jun 24, 2009 4:11 PM

JasonHutchins

I think a 65 Senate would be a great choice as your next ski.  I wouldn't recommend the Monza or A1 for you, they are designed for 36mph and as you said more $$ than you need to spend.  You can find great deals on Senate's all over the web, I would recommend H2Osmosis.

#15 Thu, Jun 25, 2009 9:58 AM

AL

Good morning Jason

Thank you again very much for your availability.

Regards
Alvaro

Board footer