Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Jun 14, 2009 6:27 PM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

Help! Broken Prophecy

Hey everyone,

Last summer I had bought what I thought was an F1 from eBay that came with new double draft boots for a very good price.  I've been using it regularly, and recently found out from Wade Williams that it is actually an early model 67" prophecy.  Now to my dilemma...  Two days ago I was skiing and all of a sudden  I couldn't turn on my offside.  I thought maybe I was tired and my brain was just misfiring so I waited another day to see if it was just a fluke, but I found myself struggling severely through the course.  As I put my ski on to the swim platform, I saw that about a foot and a half of the side wall on the right side of the ski had delaminated and ripped off, essentially rendering the ski useless.

At this point, I'm wondering two things.  What all should I do/try with Connelly?  Being an early model, I'm not sure how obligated they are to support the ski?  I'd love to get it replaced because I was happy with it, but I'm not so sure how likely that is.  Any suggestions?

The other thing is which ski should I consider looking at (preferably non-Connelly, because I'm only going this route if we don't work things out)?  I'm 6'1" about 155-160 lbs.  I'm still somewhat new to the course and have skiied 15 off at 36 mph, and I've almost made a pass at 22mph.  I get enough pull, I just have subpar position and crunch at the waist, but I want a ski to last me for awhile.

Thanks for you help,
Andy

Last edited by berndawg3 (Mon, Jun 15, 2009 2:45 AM)

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#2 Sun, Jun 14, 2009 11:40 PM

rq0013
Skis At: 2@-35, 36 mph pb

Re: Help! Broken Prophecy

annex or senate-c

rc or rcx

#3 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 4:47 AM

Blair

i would say to call connelly... be respectful and let them know what happened...  in my experience with them they are great to deal with and stand behind thier product.

was there any damage to the ski prior to the delam???

#4 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 11:48 AM

AndrewBernhagen

Blair, there was no prior damage to the ski.  It was all in fine shape, and served me fine for almost a year.  I have no idea how it broke, because I never hit anything.  I was skiing the course and skied a pass fine, and the next time i got up, all of a sudden I couldn't turn anymore.

I'm going to call Connelly today and I'll let you know what they say.

#5 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 10:07 PM

Thomas Wayne

While you're at it email photos to them as well.

TW

#6 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 6:05 AM

Blair

any word from connelly bern???

#7 Thu, Jun 18, 2009 1:08 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

I'm sure Connelly will stand behind the product. I have never had a connelly delaminate. The one that you have was still sold by connelly and will be supported. Just send them some pictures and if it's as bad as you make it sound like they will cover it.

#8 Fri, Jun 19, 2009 12:44 AM

AndrewBernhagen

Hey guys,

I've been in touch with Connelly, but the situation is still pending.  First off, as I had bought the ski via e-bay, I wasn't sure if it was from an authorized Connelly dealer.  Fortunately, it was, thus the ski will still be covered under warranty.  However, even though I sent them pictures, they still had to have me send the ski in to evaluate it themselves.  They said they've never seen something like this before.  I hope it will get replaced, as it is clearly a defect because I've babied the ski.  If I get a chance, I'll upload some pictures later so you all can see the delamination.

Hopefully I'll get it back as I'm a college student in WI, so ski season is short enough already.  At least a friend is letting me borrow his KD CR-7 and I surprisingly skied a PB last night.

Thanks

#9 Fri, Jun 19, 2009 4:30 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

The same has happened to my husband ski but he's on a KD Redline. He called KD and they replaced it at no charge and without having to send the old ski in.
Good luck!

#10 Wed, Jul 8, 2009 10:48 PM

AndrewBernhagen

After what was about 20% of my Wisconsin ski season, my ski situation has finally been resolved.  I sent them the ski, and after about a week and a half, to keep the story short, they told me that they would replace it straight up with an F1, or I could upgrade to a Prophecy for $200.  I took the latter, and will ski my first set on it tonight!

#11 Wed, Jul 8, 2009 11:03 PM

Rod S

Let us know how you like it!

#12 Thu, Jul 9, 2009 2:17 AM

AndrewBernhagen

I definitely love the Prophecy!  I was skiing on a 67" KD CR-7 as a loaner from a friend, and it was working pretty well for me, but with just my first night on the Prophecy I skied my personal best behind a boat with perfect pass at 36mph 22 off.  I can't wait to see how things will go with even some more practice on it!

#13 Thu, Jul 9, 2009 4:13 AM

Blair

good to hear... and really a brand new prophecy for $200... sounds like a good deal to me... glad to hear that connelly took care of you...

Board footer