Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Jun 13, 2009 4:01 PM

el7omin
Foot Forward: Left

Beginner in need of advice!!

Hey guys,

I'm an open water skier that skis on one pair of combo skis with an RTP... I've been doing deep water starts with one ski for about 2 years and i'm sick of those basic skis... the ski that i use doesn't have a wing so when i turn i get lots of slack and the driver has to drive in the opposite direction to eliminate it..

I recently tried an old Connelly ski (i don't know which model tongue) and i had real fun with those sharp turns that i couldn't do with my ski from the combo pair... But i didn't like having my rear foot in bindings, so i'm thinking of getting a new ski with an RTP..

So i'm a bit confused of what ski to buy...

What's the best ski for me????

I'm 6'0 and weigh 180 pounds

Hope u guys can help

Thnx!

#2 Sat, Jun 13, 2009 4:21 PM

JP

Re: Beginner in need of advice!!

I would look into getting something along the lines of an HO Burner or Triumph, Connelly Concept or a RadaR Theory. At your level i would not worry about being brand specific because i have no doubt you will be able to ski better on just about anything. The biggest thing i would look for in a ski is a wider body ski in a 67" length.

I would also suggest looking on ski-it-again.com for a good deal on a used ski. Often there are great deals on there to take advantage of!

Best of luck to you and hope you enjoy it as much as all of us here do

#3 Sat, Jun 13, 2009 9:02 PM

el7omin

Thanks for the advice smile

#4 Sat, Jun 13, 2009 9:27 PM

2gofaster

I would suggest a RAdar Theory.  If you look on Radar's site, they have demo Theory's for sale cheap.

Shane Hill

#5 Sun, Jun 14, 2009 9:44 PM

el7omin

Hey guys thanks for the good advice...

I'm now stuck between the Radar Theory and Connelly's Concept??

They're both on the same price range...
So what's the difference and what do you recommend??

Thanx!

#6 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 4:07 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

Sounds like demo time. Find your local pro shop and see if you can try both of these skis and see what works for you....

#7 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 7:28 AM

el7omin

The problem lies here...

I'm from from Kuwait, and in Kuwait there's no places that sell intermediate slaloms, the only ski I found was an O'brien (and its a real basic model)....

Thnx!

Last edited by el7omin (Mon, Jun 15, 2009 7:29 AM)

#8 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 11:56 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

O.K. sounds like time to open a Pro shop in Kuwait!!! -ha,ha!big_smile

If its too hard to demo then I would look at your budget, the price of your total package's (ski, bindings and bag) and then just go with your gut. But, I would only apply this approach to the Concept or Theory... (Not any ski on the market)

My feeling is, You would be fine on either ski. But, I have a Theory and I think it will be the easiest to progress on at the "perception" I have of your level of skiing at this time. Not to mention, the Bindings are very user freindly and EZ to adjust and dial in... I have the "Rails" and the RS-1's. If you have the budget just get the RS-1's Their GRrrrrrrrrrreat!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#9 Mon, Jun 15, 2009 10:28 PM

Ski36Ossipee
Skis At: Ossipee Lake

I would also suggest the theory. It is an awesome ski and you will be able to ski on it very easily. I have heard very good things about the ski from many people and my dad skis on a radar as well and has helped his skiing tremendously.

#10 Tue, Jun 16, 2009 1:13 PM

el7omin

Radar Theory it is !!!!

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it

smile

Would love see a pro ski shop open in Kuwait... lots of wake boarding shops but no slalom skiing

#11 Tue, Jun 16, 2009 11:56 PM

el7omin

Does the Radar Theory have a wing with its fin?

If it doesn't do I need one?

Thnx

#12 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 12:19 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

The Theory comes with a set fin. That is to say it's not adjustable. Not sure if it comes with a wing or not but until you are getting into 28 off or more at some faster speeds the wing isn't necessary.

#13 Wed, Jun 17, 2009 11:24 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

el7omin wrote:

Does the Radar Theory have a wing with its fin?

If it doesn't do I need one?

Thnx

Ya, Colin is correct. You can only move it fwd. & back. It does have a wing. I had mine set @ 4 deg.'s because I didn't need the brakes @ 28-30 mph. I have since added a fin block and I'm now working with some settings...

Call up Eddie @ Radar (everyone @ Radar is very nice and eager to help) and he can hook you up with a fin & block when you are ready!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer