Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jun 11, 2009 2:37 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

RadaR Rail boots

Not much being spoken about these boots, but I ordered them anyways on advice from a few on the boards and after looking at the RS1s.

got my first sets on them last night with my S8 LFF

they are pretty amazing boots to say the least, completely different from the traditional rubber boots I'm used to, actually that is an understatement... I went from a 10 year old CDX1 to a S8 last year and there was minimal difference (actually might prefer the CDX...) but these boots are unreal!  my first pass I felt like there was no ski there... I actually had to look down to make sure it was still there - LIGHT weight enough?

having come from a downhill ski background I've been saying for MANY years how slalom binders were ancient in comparisson to wakeboard and alpine technology. Finally a product that delivers in so many ways.

the one thing I wanted to ask about them is I am getting a big of heal lift in my rear, How can I combat this?
I found that I had to cinch them down pretty tight to get the fit I wanted (against the advice in the "instructions"). I'm a size 9us in the standard Rails...

PEACE

Last edited by Killer (Thu, Jun 11, 2009 2:38 PM)

#2 Thu, Jun 11, 2009 4:02 PM

GarrettGroller
Foot Forward: Right

Re: RadaR Rail boots

Those boots intrigue me too.

Do you need soap to get into them?

How about when they're wet? Are they tough to get into?

#3 Thu, Jun 11, 2009 4:49 PM

Killer

those are some of the selling features for sure.. NO SOAP EVER

they are just as easy to get into wet as dry it seems.  they do seem to take a while to dry out, they were as wet this morning as they were last night... so I can't see them being very dry this year (if I can ski as much as I aim for)...

EDIT: they are basically dry now, so less than 24hrs and they have just been sitting inside.

you can't go wrong with these boots if you're an intermediate to advanced skier, running buoys, open water, cutting the line, they really work well.  (I'll be waiting for my commission cheque RadaR wink

Last edited by Killer (Thu, Jun 11, 2009 9:33 PM)

#4 Fri, Jun 12, 2009 1:26 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

Killer wrote:

those are some of the selling features for sure.. NO SOAP EVER

A little off topic, but I have RS-1's and find they are a little hard to get into when wet.  No fault of the boot however,  I have footbeds in them and they are pretty grippy when wet.  Any ideas?

Deke

#5 Fri, Jun 12, 2009 2:44 PM

2gofaster

Deke, So you have your footbed inside the liner? I glued my footbed inside the shell and the liner slides in on top. I don't have any issues going in dry.

Shane Hill

#6 Sat, Jun 13, 2009 12:42 PM

Deke

2gofaster wrote:

Deke, So you have your footbed inside the liner? I glued my footbed inside the shell and the liner slides in on top. I don't have any issues going in dry.

Yes, mine is inside the liner.  My thinking was that the footbed is more positively connected with my foot and that the release wouldn't be any different.  All true.  But that positive connection makes it hard to get into while wet.  I've thought about socks or putting fabric over the footbed so it is not so grippy.

Deke

#7 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 9:25 PM

gshryack

I just got off the water from my first set with these bindings.  I'm also having the rear heal lift issue.  Thats not whats bothering me.  I swithced from animals to these (they were tore up pretty good, tons of zip ties) and I really enjoy the support around and just above the ankle I got from them.  With the rails, I cant seem to get the same support, and I'm having trouble getting the ski to be responsive.  Anybody have this issue, or a possible solition.  Im thinking of replacing the elastic ties with a stronger string but it worries me that I wont release......

cheers
Hoose

#8 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 4:32 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

You are correct. The less elasticity at the upper cuff, the more difficult it will be to release.

The RS-1/Strada boot make their support by having a laterally stiff liner held snugly in place be the shell.
The upper cuff is more or less for retention and, in my experience, adds very little in terms of lateral stiffness.
The Rail/Vector boot are similar where it uses a close fitting chassis to create the support, and the cuff keeps you from stepping out.
I suppose the difficulty with the Rails could come because you are dealing with the boot that is sized for 3 to 4 shoe sizes.
The available sizes on the Rails overlap. 5-8, 7-11, and 10-14. You might be better off with the next size down.
In the mean time you could also try moving your boot forward, this will help the ski turn a little easier.

#9 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 11:47 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Wow, Rails are a complete different "Animal"!  So, I'd expect a bit of a learning curve to be a very normal process coming off the Animals... I have Rails and Rs-1's. To me, the Rs-1's are so much better.

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 1:13 PM

Killer

HO410 wrote:

You are correct. The less elasticity at the upper cuff, the more difficult it will be to release.

The RS-1/Strada boot make their support by having a laterally stiff liner held snugly in place be the shell.
The upper cuff is more or less for retention and, in my experience, adds very little in terms of lateral stiffness.
The Rail/Vector boot are similar where it uses a close fitting chassis to create the support, and the cuff keeps you from stepping out.
I suppose the difficulty with the Rails could come because you are dealing with the boot that is sized for 3 to 4 shoe sizes.
The available sizes on the Rails overlap. 5-8, 7-11, and 10-14. You might be better off with the next size down.
In the mean time you could also try moving your boot forward, this will help the ski turn a little easier.

bang on, I was in the middle range for these boots and by the end of last season they had packed out a bit and were just too sloppy & tweaked my ankle on some minor falls due to having the laces done up too much and my foot not secure inside the boot.

If I were a size 11 instead of a 9 the standard size boots I had may have been a lot better. 

FWIW they are a intermediate/advanced level boot for free-skiing or skiing the course at long line.   I didn't have the control I wanted as I started cutting the line & went with a pair of RS1s this year that I'm super happy with.

#11 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 1:31 PM

Deke

Killer wrote:

FWIW they are a intermediate/advanced level boot for free-skiing or skiing the course at long line.   I didn't have the control I wanted as I started cutting the line & went with a pair of RS1s this year that I'm super happy with.

I have RS-1's also and love them.  But I have to wonder how women skiers such as Whitney McClintock ski into shortline on Lyric/Vectors if they are only suitable for free skiing and long line?

#12 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 3:32 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

I know Whit had Rs-1's at worlds, and I recall seeing a team edition for the women skiers. Special things can happen for the team skiers.

#13 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 6:33 PM

Andyb

I have used the Radar Rail for two seasons, great boot always released where I didn't with the connelly draft. But after two seasons, they were sloppy so just change to the radar vector the new version of the rail. I did try a RS1 boot but didn't completely release on a few falls even when the elastic  was snug. New Vector a completely a different boot, very very light, good lateral support way better than the rail and always released so far.
One difference is the foot bed, I found the rail boot to be very high, I fitted a insole to my rtp to balance me out. So on binding placement I was running forward a hole from stock. With the vector boot I have had to move the binding back as the foot bed is more an average height for a binding.

#14 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 10:55 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph

i dont really like my rails. im tryin to get some rs-1's. the rails were really stiff feeling and the elastic laces start to stretch and get stuck in your boots when you're skiing which make for an uncomfortable set.  also the no soap thing, not true.  i use soap everytime i get in mine because the lining will start to wrinkle up midway up the back of the boot.  the stretch in the laces also becomes a problem because the clamp that holds it tight wont grip it when the laces stretch because they get longer and skinnier, leads to the boots loosening mid-set.  good boots overall just not as awesome as everyone is saying....just my opinion tho

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

Board footer