Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jun 3, 2009 9:21 PM

JayG

Schnitz Fin on a Radar Senate - C ?

My Radar Senate-C is on the way!  I hope it will be perfect with stock fin settings.

I currently ski on a 2006 D3 Custom X 69.5" with Schnitz Slot Fin and mini wing.  Any feedback on how the Senate C is with a Schnitz fin?  Very big skier at 34 mph/ -22.

The slot fin made my D3 a much better turning ski and 2 other friends think it was a drastic improvement for their Monzas. My wife loves the Schnitz speed slot fin in her Goode 9500.

I also see that a forum poster improved his setup by using a standard Goode fin in his Senate C.  I may use my wife's old Goode fin as option 3 if I get that far.  He ran the Goode fin 2.54 / 6.93 & 11 degree wing

#2 Wed, Jun 3, 2009 10:15 PM

2gofaster

Re: Schnitz Fin on a Radar Senate - C ?

Jay, I initially tried the slot fin I'd been using with the RS1 in my Senate C.  I didn't like it. It didn't seem to allow the ski to turn in on my off side.  Now, that was early in the season. I'm going to try it again this weekend. I've had the silver RS1 fin in my SC for the last two months. Not saying the slot won't work for you. Or for that matter that it won't work for me now. I'll post up my thoughts after trying it on saturday again.

Shane Hill

#3 Wed, Jun 10, 2009 3:07 PM

2gofaster

Ok, I tried the schnitz slot fin and mini wing from my rs1 on the SC. 5 sets over the last week. Now it feels nice.  Very stuck to the water in a straight line when you're getting ready to pull out. One issue I've had since day 1 on the SC is that it tends to slide the tail more than the RS1, especially on my off side.  That's gone. I could probably even shallow the fin up to make it a little looser feeling in the warm water now. Maybe I'll try 2.595 instead of 2.560 for depth this week.

Shane Hill

#4 Thu, Jun 11, 2009 2:20 PM

zen196

i've got a Schnitz Slot Fin and Mini Wing [down] on a Connelly F1X 69" with Vision Boot and RTP [am 6'4" 220#--ski mainly open water but can get into 28@34]....thinking of trying a Senate with Rails and RTP...........It took a Whole Summer 3yrs ago to get the Slot Fin dialed in w/ digital caliper 'cuz there were no settings published anywhere for a Schnitz on an F1X. had to start w/ settings for an F1 and improvise........There are not any  pix i can find of the Radar fin blade, wing, and fin clamp anywhere on the Radar website or their links to YouTube......soooo, my Q is this: hows that Radar fin, wing and fin clamp? do the Radar pro's on this site use the Radar Fin on their "weapon of choice"? thanx for your answers in advance.........

#5 Thu, Jun 11, 2009 3:56 PM

2gofaster

I never tried the stock fin on the Senate C. Since I already had the Schnitz fin on my RS1, I used the Silver CNC profiled RS1 fin and wing on it first.  Regardless, I used Rossi's settings. On all the skis I've used the Schnitz fin on, I've used the stock Schnitz settings. That included the SixamSS, RS1 and now the SenateC.

Shane Hill

#6 Sat, Jun 13, 2009 10:06 PM

JayG

Zen,

The fin clamp box looks just like the one on my D3 and is shown on the site http://store.d3skis.com/product-p/98050.htm  It is easy to adjust 2 allen set screws in the top and one at the end for Distance from Tail (dft).

The fin looks like the D3 fin minus the holes for dropping the wing lower.  Radar fin has 5 holes  plus wing attachment point. I have not pulled the Radar fin off yet.  Will email you photos if you like.

First impressions after moving the bindings around and making dft fin adjustment.  Ran 32 mph / 22off pass,  the ski is much faster than D3 Custom X and the turns feel very solid.  A very good thing and I'm looking forward to trying it at 34 mph.  Will eventually try the Schnitz fin at his recommended setting.

Radar site has some good closeouts on demos.  http://www.radarskistore.com/index/1399 … 4086.0.0.0 There is a 69"Senate (not the C) for $99.

#7 Tue, Jun 23, 2009 7:15 PM

JayG

Schnitz fin seems to make Senate C even better.

Last edited by JayG (Tue, Jun 30, 2009 4:13 PM)

#8 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 12:05 AM

Rod S

What do you think the slot fin helps to improve?   I'm running the Senate C with the stock fin and Rossi's settings.

This ski has a killer offside turn.   The first set I was having problem with my onside as the ski wanted to grab and bounce after the finish of the turn into the spray of the first wake.  I moved the bindings back and the fin back and it cleared up.   Ran it through -28/34 with high winds.   I was surprised it hung on in the chop.

Chris can you give me an idea on the onside bounce deal?  I've never felt that before on any other ski but I suspect it was setup related as it didn't seem to matter how many different ways I would try to go into my onside turn.   I tried weight forward, center, back, counter rotate more, stayed on the handle longer in the preturn, ect...

Last edited by Rod S (Tue, Jun 30, 2009 12:06 AM)

#9 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 1:02 PM

JayG

The Schnitz fin makes the ski feel like it hugs the water.  No tail slip or blow out gives me a bit more confidence. 

Fast behind the boat & both turns are smooth with either fin.

I may not have given std fin enough time/adjustment.

#10 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 2:26 PM

Rod S

That's what I remember about the slot.  I ran it for a while on the Monza and it glued the ski down and made the turns hook a bit and I could tell it took more physical effort for me to ski the passes.  It did fix the offside turn issue I was having at the time.

There is definate potential here if I can get the onside as solid as the offside turn.   My offside is like being on a c shaped G force rail and extremely solid.   I don't get blowout on either side and I pushed it pretty hard when I was running late with the tail wind.

#11 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 2:54 PM

Mortyski

Hi Guys,

I'm the proud owner of a 69 inch Senate C and I am a bigger skier.

I recently sent the text below to the Water Ski Forum and didn't get any real responses to the questions I asked.

"Does anyone have experience on how to tweak the ski set up for heavier people?  I have a copy of Paul Jager’s ski set up program and did a little experiment on keeping everything the same except adding pounds to the weight of the skier.

So for a 210 lb skier the following is the data from the Jager program for a MPD ski.

210 lbs
Binding,    Wing,         Length (tips), Depth,        DFT (set)
28.330,        8,                 6.453,             2.618,          0.448

Keeping everything else the same except changing the weight to 260 lbs I got the following data

260 lbs,
Binding,          Wing,              Length, L (tips),   Depth,       DFT (set)
27.33,                8,                        5.891,                2.775,     0

So does anyone have any experience on this?  Does a heavier person move the bindings back make the fin shorter and have more depth as well as push the fin back in the ski?  I’m especially interested in how to tweak Schnitz’s slot fin / mini wing for a heavier person as I don’t think one setting suits all especially if you are a bit heavier than most.

I did some intermediate weigh calculations as well and determined the change is more or less linear so each 10 lbs move the bindings back .2 inches, make the fin shorter by .112 inches make the fin deeper by .031 and make it closer to the back of the ski by.090 in.

Not trying to get too accurate is the common knowledge to move the bindings back, shorten the fin, make it deeper and move the fin back if the skier is heavier and the reverse of all of this if the skier is lighter?

…and…does the slot fin / mini wing or speed slot fin work the same way?

Thanks in advance of your answer

Murray Mortson (mortyski)"

So last weekend I just set my slot fin deeper and shorter and I did like the setting a lot.  I think for a heavier person the fin should be set differently than a lighter person.  I think if you set up the slot fin at about 2.6 and as close to the back of the Senate as possible with the fin about .2 inches shorter than Schnitz's reccomendation of 6.542 with the caliper tips (to the cutout where the fin goes up into the ski about 3/4" forward of the tail) that would be a good starting point.

Good luck and let me know how it worked out for you.

#12 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 4:16 PM

JayG

Murray what is your binding position?

#13 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 4:19 PM

Rod S

Not trying to get too accurate is the common knowledge to move the bindings back, shorten the fin, make it deeper and move the fin back if the skier is heavier and the reverse of all of this if the skier is lighter?

That's my experience as it works also if you are on the top or over the top end of the weight range for a particular ski length.   When I skied a longer ski I needed to move both my bindings and fin forward to get the turn correct.  The same for <45 degree water I had to go forward.

#14 Tue, Jun 30, 2009 5:47 PM

Mortyski

Hi Jay,

I don't know what my setting for the binding is as my diary is at the lake.  I will report all of my settings I have tomorrow when I get back down to the lake.

all the best
Murray

#15 Wed, Jul 1, 2009 9:42 PM

Rod S

FYI fixed the bounce.   Fin back,boots back, patience in the turn, ran really nice in todays 15mph winds and 22 mph gusts.    One of these days it will be nice to try this ski with sub 10mph winds.

#16 Fri, Jul 3, 2009 5:23 AM

Mortyski

Gentlemen,

I have my 69 inch Senate C set up like this...it's not perfect but it is pretty good.

bindings 31 1/8 to the outside of the FM plastic heel..my foot is probably 3/8 inch further forward

all of the rest of the measurments are tips and I have a Schnitz speed slot fin

7.532 to the front of the fin from the back of the ski...basically I have my fin about 1/16 of an inch from the back of the ski

6.550 for the lenght of the slot part

2.607 depth

hope this helps

Murray

#17 Sat, Jul 4, 2009 1:24 AM

JayG

Thanks

My binding setup with on 2009 69" Senate C with Animal Boots is 30.75" to heel rubber.  I could not get further back to the 30.25" stock setting without major binding plate modification and the ski seems to ride well.  Comforting to see Murray running bindings ahead of mine, I may try his total setup if I stop progressing.

Schnitz slot fin is 2.564",  6.550", 6 degree mini wing.  DFT is as far back as the fin block allows.  (Stock is 2.5605, 6.542) After setting the fin position, I remove the 3 positioning set screws and tighten the fin box.  I believe my Schnitz fin is thinner than stock fins and the set screws keep the fin box from clamping as well as it can.

Running the ski with more confidence this week at -22/34.  The water in TX is hot, slow (and getting shallow).  I experimented dropping the mini-wing from 8 to 7 to 6 this week.

#18 Sat, Jul 11, 2009 3:07 PM

Mortyski

Hi JayG

How is the set up going on your Senate C

I felt the forward binding setting I have makes the ski come alive.  Just for a reference I'm about at the setting a 69 inch Goode says to put the front binding and about 1 inch closer to the back than a 69 inch Icon Power Carve is supposed to be set at somewhere around 32 inches.

Just checking in to see how your set up is working

best

Murray

#19 Sat, Jul 11, 2009 11:23 PM

2gofaster

As an update on my ski, as the water has really warmed up in the last few weeks I went ahead and took the wing completely off. That freed up the ski immensely. It had been feeling as if it was a bit behind me and like I could never get up on the boat when the water went from 82 to 92.  Now, I can really get it out in front of me and drive it through the wakes. I ran 2 at 35 at 34mph today which was my first complete 32 off pass at 34. WhooHoo!

Shane Hill

#20 Sun, Jul 12, 2009 12:12 AM

Mortyski

Hi Shane,

Congrats on the 32 pass.

Can I ask roughly how much you weigh....Just for the record I'm about 260 lbs

Thanks
Morty

#21 Sun, Jul 12, 2009 4:30 PM

JayG

Thanks for the interest Murray.  My skiing is getting much more consistent at -22/32 mph and -22/33 mph.  I am getting to inside of 6 ball at -22/34 mph. 

This ski is making the course fun for me again but my wife still kicks my tail.  It is easier for her to drive because I am now much smoother on the boat and generally in a better mood when I come back to shore.

I reduced mini wing angle on my Schnitz slot due to hot Texas water.  I will take it off tomorrow based on Shane's recommendation.  May break out the video camera too.

#22 Mon, Jul 13, 2009 8:55 PM

JayG

Did not have that loving feeling after I removed the mini wing from Schnitz fin.  The ski just did not seem as stable and comfortable.  Performed 6 balls worse.

#23 Mon, Jul 13, 2009 10:43 PM

Mortyski

Hi,

I've never liked the feeling of a ski without a wing and the mini wing is so small it has just the right effect.  The speed slot fin is even better.

I'm not surprised you didn't like the ski.  In my case I have to slow down the momentum of 1/8th of a ton and without a wing it's tough to do that.

best,
Murray

#24 Tue, Jul 14, 2009 1:37 AM

2gofaster

I've rarely run a wing on my skis over the years. So I guess it makes the transition easier for me.

Shane Hill

Board footer