Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, May 31, 2009 1:43 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Help with Throttle Problems

HELP!!!

When I engage the boat into FWD. or Reverse regardless how easy I move the throttle the engine rev's 200 to 500 rpm as the trans. engages... The proper idle speed or rpm's (approx:690 rpm) will return in 1-2 seconds. But, it makes life very difficult around the dock, trailer or easing out from the skier... (not to mention it sucks for everyone else who drives it...) It happens Most of the time when engaging BUT, Not every time... ???

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to pin point the problem?

I have P/P Stargazer. But, it does it whether the P/P is ON or OFF.
2004 Malibu Response Lxi
Engine: 5.7 Vortec 340 Monsoon

Thanx for any advice!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#2 Sun, May 31, 2009 4:03 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Help with Throttle Problems

Check your throttle connection's especially to the servo motor to make sure they are all functioning properly.

#3 Sun, May 31, 2009 6:49 PM

JP

shift cable could be out of adjustment

#4 Mon, Jun 1, 2009 11:03 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Thanx for the input!

I didn't see anything that looked wrong (Sloppy, loose, tight or bent) at the cable connections on the throttle cable...

I loosened the adjuster nuts and readjusted the length at the throttle lever between the throttle cable and the servo cable,  hoping this will add a little length to the cable and not pull so quickly on the throttle as it engages.

I may get out today and test it...

I'll look at the shift cable adjustment if this doesn't help. I wonder if the throttle return spring could be weak?

Thanx again!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Mon, Jun 1, 2009 1:12 PM

2gofaster

I would suspect a sticking idle air control motor. As you drop it into gear, the IAC opens slightly to bypass air around the throttle body blade so that the load of the prop doesn't pull down the engine rpm too much.  Sounds like it's slow to close.  Not uncommon, even on cars. You can pull it off your throttle body and clean the inside with carb cleaner and try and work the spring loaded valve back and forth.

Shane Hill

#6 Tue, Jun 2, 2009 11:28 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

2gofaster wrote:

I would suspect a sticking idle air control motor. As you drop it into gear, the IAC opens slightly to bypass air around the throttle body blade so that the load of the prop doesn't pull down the engine rpm too much.  Sounds like it's slow to close.  Not uncommon, even on cars. You can pull it off your throttle body and clean the inside with carb cleaner and try and work the spring loaded valve back and forth.

That makes sense! I'll see how the other adjustments do and then look into that as well...
It's a new (to me) boat with some little quirks here and there and this stuff is all part of the adventure!!!

Thanx Shane! smile

Board footer