Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, May 29, 2009 5:46 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Moving Up the Line

I'm a 34 MPH skier working on my 28 off pass.  When I make my 22 off pass at 34, is it better for me to go 28 at 32 mph or 34 mph?  I turn better at the 34 speed, but it would obviously be easier for me to get used to the angles of the 28 off pass at 32.  I'm just curious what others do when working on a new line length.

Travis Ogden

#2 Fri, May 29, 2009 6:31 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Re: Moving Up the Line

I stay @ 34. Rarely i will adjust 1/2 mph.

MC

#3 Fri, May 29, 2009 8:52 PM

2gofaster

I am practicing at 32mph right now all the way into 35 off. About a week before our next tournament in 4  weeks I'll get back to 34mph. I'm a big fan of practicing at slower speeds to work on mechanics. In fact, I'm skiing with Marcus B this week on a stop of his FTF tour and I'll ski 32mph there even.

Last edited by 2gofaster (Fri, May 29, 2009 8:54 PM)

Shane Hill

#4 Sat, May 30, 2009 2:50 PM

JP

I think that slowing the boat down can be very helpful depending on the skier. However i think going all the way to 32 might be a little bit extreme. I would try going about 1 mph (100 ish rpm or 50 skier lbs). Once you run it there slowly speed the boat up to 34

#5 Sat, May 30, 2009 8:47 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Hey TJO!

Maybe this isn't a real MPH answer. But, I would also try Shadowing #1, 3 & 5 while hitting #2, 4, & 6... Run a few comfortable passes and then Shadow # 2, 4, & 6 and hit #1, 3, & 5...

You can progressively shadow closer and closer until your just missing the "Shadowballs" to the inside. Creating the feel and the practice time of a full passes instead of trying to simply fight for Balls...

Good luck to you!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Mon, Jun 1, 2009 3:08 PM

tjo

Guys, thanks for all of the suggestions!  I've told first timers in the course to shadow balls before, but never took that advice for myself when learning a new line length.  Now that I think about it, this makes total sense.  I'm usually just fighting to get as many balls as I can for a new PB and in the process I'm probably losing all technique.

Travis Ogden

#7 Mon, Jun 8, 2009 1:04 PM

ChrisRossi

My suggestion is to run all the passes up to the one you do not make all the time up to speed.  You can work on your mechanics due to the extra rope.  When you get to the pass that you have not or do not run all the time, try slowing the boat down to a speed that you can complete the pass.  Make a note of that speed.  Follow that same thought pattern the next time out except this time you will know what speed to set the boat on for your hardest pass.  As you get more comfortable, slowly add speed in small increments to that hardest pass.  It may take you a few weeks and it may take you a month or two, but you will run it faster by using this technique.  Every time you miss a pass, you confidence falls slightly.  It is very important to know before you say, "Hit It!" that you WILL run the pass.  It took me 4-5 years to learn 35 off trying to run at full speed.  It took my one month to learn how to ski 38 by using the above mentioned technique.  Schnitz taught me this and I completely agree.

#8 Mon, Jun 8, 2009 3:24 PM

tjo

Thanks Chris!

Travis Ogden

Board footer