Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, May 29, 2009 4:11 PM

kstateskier

Why don't Pros use the Arm Guard?

I am in no way affiliated with the Arm Guard people - but there's a discussion going on over at the Nichols Waterski msg board about the Arm Guard and the FM Guard for ski handles and I'm just curious Chris/Wade what is your opinion on those types of safety devices and why don't either of you choose to use one? 

Why do you believe other pros don't use one?

Here is a link to the discussion if you are interested or care to comment there.

http://www.thewaterskiforum.com/cgi-bin … read=53586

thanks for your input!

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#2 Fri, May 29, 2009 8:08 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Why don't Pros use the Arm Guard?

Since I am the inventor and sole source of the ARM-GUARD I'll take the liberty of giving you my answer to the question.  Also, bear in mind that the anonymous poster [on the other forum] who initially asked that question joined that forum for the sole reason of questioning the validity of our product.  The following response is identical (except for a typo correction) to the answer I gave on the other board.

[LINK]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

If you’re at all familiar with this device you may know that it was designed to prevent “basilar skull fractures” in auto racing. Although the device was invented in the 1980’s, most professional racecar drivers chose not to use one. We’re talking about some very famous names here – Petty, Vukovich, Earnhardt… to name just a few. In fact, Dale Earnhardt Sr. was particularly vocal in his criticism of, and his resistance to any talk of mandating the device. Unlike you, of course, he had the balls to express his criticism using his real name.

Dale Earnhardt Sr. died of a basilar skull fracture in 2001, the same injury that killed [Adam] Petty, Vukovich, and many other drivers. Following Earnhardt’s death NASCAR began requiring the Hans device (or similar) for drivers – the very thing that Earnhardt (and many other professionals) had criticized and fought against.

If you think relying on "what the pro’s use" is a good way to protect yourself against serious, life-altering injury (or death)… then you’re an idiot.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Fri, May 29, 2009 8:10 PM)

#3 Sat, May 30, 2009 2:35 AM

PFG
Foot Forward: Left

My Reason:
http://twitpic.com/68agi
Fortunate that it was only soft tissue and was able to ski "easy" the following day.
It is an infrequent occurrence, but having experienced it, its now clearly prudent to take measures to reduce the odds of recurrence. When the Arm-Guard arrives I will use it and adapt to it.

#4 Sat, May 30, 2009 12:54 PM

2gofaster

TW, Do you have a pattern for a 12" RS1 handle yet?

Shane Hill

#5 Mon, Jun 1, 2009 4:15 AM

Thomas Wayne

2gofaster wrote:

TW, Do you have a pattern for a 12" RS1 handle yet?

We custom design and machine ARM-GUARD sets specifically for each customer's handle, so we can fit ANYTHING.  Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you instructions on measuring your handle.

TW

#6 Mon, Jun 1, 2009 11:17 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

TW,

Got a link to your product info. pic's, etc. ???

Thanx!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Mon, Jun 1, 2009 2:39 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

I don't want to hear a biased opinion from the inventor.  I would like to hear an unbiased opinion from Chris or Wade.

Garn

#8 Wed, Jun 3, 2009 5:04 PM

kstateskier

me too Garn.  That's why I posted this - I'm a little disappointed neither Chris or Wade has 'weighed' in on this yet.

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#9 Thu, Jun 4, 2009 3:26 AM

ChrisRossi

Sorry boys.  Been on vacation.  I think these products are great.  I just haven't got off my butt and purchased them to try.  Thomas, do you have a link to your products?

#10 Thu, Jun 4, 2009 12:28 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

ChrisRossi wrote:

Thomas, do you have a link to your products?

How about some PSC  "Promotional Group Pricing"???coolcoolcool

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#11 Thu, Jun 4, 2009 3:32 PM

Thomas Wayne

No time for a website yet - we send out a complete info package in response to email inquiries at [email protected]

As for "group pricing", each ARM-GUARD set is custom machined to fit the individual skier's handle, and across the board prices have sky-rocketed on every material used in the product (PLUS shipping).  Add to that the costs involved to patent the device and it will probably be a long time (if ever) before the project shows any black ink.

Currently, the cost of an ARM-GUARD - delivered - is WAY less than the price of my ski gloves or my handle section... not to mention a trip to the Emergency Room.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Thu, Jun 4, 2009 3:32 PM)

#12 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 12:21 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Pardon my ignorance but what is the arm guard? I assume (?) it is a device to stop anything other than your hand from going through the handle?

The more controlled your hands are with the handle the better you will ski. If you are not very balanced on your ski yet then maybe a device like this is necessary but people have been waterskiing for 80 or so years now and the total number of injuries due to body parts through the handle is not very large to compared to the safe number of uses.

#13 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 1:35 AM

rod0041

#14 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 2:51 AM

Thomas Wayne

WadeWilliams wrote:

[...]

The more controlled your hands are with the handle the better you will ski. If you are not very balanced on your ski yet then maybe a device like this is necessary but people have been waterskiing for 80 or so years now and the total number of injuries due to body parts through the handle is not very large to compared to the safe number of uses.

Yeah?  I guess you figure French skier Patrice Martin (for one) must have had terrible balance on a ski, huh?

The actual incidence of body-part-through-handle injury runs around several dozen per year worldwide, which is  relatively small compared to the  total number of skiers.  It happens at ALL skill levels, however, and if it happens to YOU the "statistic"s probably won't seem so significant any more.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Fri, Jun 5, 2009 2:51 AM)

#15 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 5:14 AM

Blair

Thomas

I can under stand your reasoning... however i am one of those people that doesnt believe anything until i see it.. .

and not to sound like a total skeptic... but what you are preaching is sounding alot like snake oil to me... i have yet to see so much as a picture of your product, (all the links posted seem to be of the  FM one which you state is not as good as yours)

and on that note i am going to call you out in the most professional way possible.  Salesman to salesman

I understand your busy and hopefully that is because you are busy manufacturing many of these "arm guards"

but please for everyones sake... take a few minutes, it shouldnt take any longer than it takes you to type up one of your posts defending the reasoning for your product, and get us some pictures.

they say a picture is worth a thousand words... let us all see what you are selling...

and salesman to salesman... if you are able to convince me that i need a product without sounding preachy i am much more likely to buy it than when someone uses a preachy sales tactic.

I look forward to seeing pictures to help me form my opinion.

(note to mods, i tried to do this in the most professional way possible and in no way do i want this to start a war. if you do not feel that this post is constructive to the discussion please feel free to remove or edit it, if edited all i ask is that you acknowledge that it was edited)

No Edit Necessary!

Last edited by ColinBuchanan (Fri, Jun 5, 2009 1:05 PM)

#16 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 12:45 PM

2gofaster

Blair, TW has shown all that multiple times on different forums.  I've seen pictures of his part, as well as multiple pictures of people who's arms had become trapped in the handle on a fall. Not pretty at all.

TW, You really do need a website. Even a simple one.  You say you're busy, but you have to post all these long posts on threads. That takes time out of your day too.  With even a simple website, you could just post a link.

Shane Hill

#17 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 1:09 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

#18 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 4:12 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Thomas Wayne,

I am still waiting to hear exactly what this device is? Am I correct it blocks body parts other than your hand from going through the handle?

As to the general superior tone of your post I would prefer if you could refrain from using such mater of fact language. You are welcome to post information and pictures about your product. However, making hasty generalizations towards people who read this board -- making broad statements about how we will get injured in a specific type of way -- is ridiculous and will not be tolerated in the future.

#19 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 4:34 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

Wade I've said it on the nichols forum:  its not what you say its how you say it & Thomas needs to learn this one way or another because he MAY very well have an EXCELLENT product.

I'm also a sales and marketing person; I'd suggest you find someone in this line of work to sell your product because its obviously not your strong suit.

as far as the product goes - I don't think there is any way to produce something that will 100% prevent your arm from going through the handle while maintaining a quality grip on that handle. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by having an opening between the bar and the "arm-guard" there is still a chance, no matter how much of a long shot, for your arm to go through it & by having the plastic shroud on the handle you now have a GREATER chance of getting your arm stuck in it, with less of an escape route.

that's how I see it and I'd like for someone to prove me wrong.

FWIW handle mfg's have made arm bars in the Triangle for years to prevent the head from going through the handle which is far more severe and life threatening than an arm going through.

my 2

Last edited by Killer (Fri, Jun 5, 2009 4:35 PM)

#20 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 5:01 PM

snow1122

#21 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 5:18 PM

Daveski

Here's a pic

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/4393_armguard.jpg

#22 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 5:37 PM

Thomas Wayne

WadeWilliams wrote:

Thomas Wayne,
[...]
As to the general superior tone of your post I would prefer if you could refrain from using such mater of fact language. You are welcome to to post information and pictures about your product. However, making hasty generalizations towards people who read this board -- making broad statements about how we will get injured in a specific type of way -- is ridiculous and will not be tolerated in the future.

Wade Williams,

I am truly baffled by what you are saying, and would very much appreciate it if you can provide an exact quote (or quotes) of what you feel I've done wrong here.

It IS a matter of fact that in October of '08 Patrice Martin suffered a high-profile arm-through-handle injury.

It IS a matter of fact that several dozen skiers suffer similar injuries each year worldwide.

It IS a matter of fact that statistics become unimportant to the person who is actually injured in such a fall.

So how would you have me make those statements in a way that you'd find less offensive?  I'm asking this sincerely, because I don't understand what hasty generalizations you think I've made here.  The facts are out there, and one of those facts is that body-part-through-handle injuries do happen to skiers of ALL levels of skill (and balance), from beginners to pros.

I've received correspondence from many skiers about this issue, and there are a lot of names you would probably recognize.  In fact, the most discouraging part of this project is the large number of skiers who contact us AFTER they (or someone they care about) has suffered such an injury.  The first order of business here is to recognize that these types of injuries DO happen, and they can happen to anyone.  What skiers choose to do about that fact is entirely up to them, but for any particular skier to believe that he or she is "immune" from such an accident is a bit unwise, in my opinion.

Again, Wade, I am speaking sincerely here, and I would truly like to know what you feel I've said or done that is inappropriate or out of line.

Thomas Wayne

#23 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 5:46 PM

Thomas Wayne

Here's a different pic, this one taken by a customer after install:
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/4428_arm_guardusg_-_chuck_dickey.jpg

TW

#24 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 6:04 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Thomas Wayne wrote:

Yeah?  I guess you figure French skier Patrice Martin (for one) must have had terrible balance on a ski, huh?

TW

Just don't be a message board dick, Tom, and you're welcome to hang around.

I don't think I ever said anything about Patrice Martin so this sounds non sequitor, like very much of this thread does.

I'm sure he would agree he probably was not very balanced when this fall occurred that caused the inujury.

#25 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 7:24 PM

Thomas Wayne

Wade,

Allow me to explain what you feel was non sequitor.  The phrase you used was: "If you are not very balanced on your ski yet...", which led me to believe that you meant a more experienced skier - that is, one who IS experienced enough to be balanced on their ski - would be unlikely to suffer a body-part-through-handle fall.  For that reason I mentioned Patrice Martin, who (arguably) has demonstrated better balance on a ski than most other skiers in the world.  Of course, no one is very balanced on their ski during a fall.

The real issue, however, is the very common (but false) perception that such a fall is only likely to happen to less skilled skiers.  I honestly think it's the exact opposite.  Regardless of that issue, it's an absolute fact that some pretty good skiers have had such accidents.  Typically, experienced skiers tend to think that it can't  (or won't) happen to them- but it often does.

We can't ask Scott Worthington or Brett Yager, because they died as a result of their body-part-through-handle injuries.  But we can ask Martin, Scott Rabineau, Chet Raley, Marcus Brown, and Todd Ristorcelli - to name just a very few - if they thought it would happen to them before they got tangled up in the handle.  I'm pretty sure they would say, as you have said, that such an occurrence was rare and not something to be concerned about.

I know that's what I might have said - before I shattered my left arm in exactly the type of accident the ARM-GUARD is designed to prevent.  As I have often said, the chances may be low but if it's you it might as well be 100%.

Thomas Wayne

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Fri, Jun 5, 2009 7:25 PM)

Board footer