Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, May 29, 2009 12:57 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC
Foot Forward: Right

Bad Habit 2

As a sequel to Bad Habit, I'd like to introduce, Dipping the Shoulder at the Wake.

I could not fix  this bad habit whilst with Thomas G. I eventully succombed to what has turned out to be an ear infection, but that does not detract from 80 passes or more where each pass I cannot seem to break the habit. I am now more aware of doing this, tried leading arm pressure, tried focusing on keeping handle to the body through the edge change and still that leading shoulder would roll over.

Apparently, I come out of the turn in a great position head still eyes downcourse, I'd then load-up (excessively too many times) but even when I didn't lean too much, at the end of the pass the comment was as simple as, 'what do you want me to say, Colin'.

Visualised a bungy cord on my back arm. Nada nothing, would seem to change this. Sorry no video, no battery!

I felt and feel a bit embarrased at this, and unhelpful from someone else, 'well maybe you can't teach an old dog a new trick' didn't help. And currently I have a really negative view of my obseesion to the point of wishing my ski would break, so I have an excuse to pack in skiing. sad

So to anyone else who used to have this habit, or have helped another skier out of this habit, please help:)

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#2 Fri, May 29, 2009 1:52 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Bad Habit 2

First and foremost don't let this ski obstacle ruin the sport for you. Skiing should always be about having fun no matter what! From your description it sounds like you try to take too much angle with your shoulders by falling to hard out of the turn.  This will always result in you getting broken through the wakes because we can never ski into more angle the the boat will allow.  We have to fall in concert with the boat so that our lean through the wakes is progressive and we fall all the way to the second wake.  Try focusing on feeling your shoulders rotate away from the boat through your turn and when the pull from the boat initiates your fall back into the handle just make it a nice easy and progressive lean that continues all the way through the wakes.  Good luck with your skiing this season and let us know how you progress!

#3 Fri, May 29, 2009 4:19 PM

2gofaster

Re: Bad Habit 2

Looking at the back of the boat, the driver, the mirror etc as you cross the wakes is a good exercise that will help to alleviate this. When you do that, your shoulders open to the boat and they stay level which is the important thing. Over time, your muscle memory will build and you won't have to force yourself to look there.

Shane Hill

Board footer