Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, May 26, 2009 1:04 PM

BigHead

Camera for Recording Sets

I really want to start recording my sets, but have no clue about video cameras.

So i turn to you guys smile

Im sure some of you have some experience with this, do you have any recommendations?

Im not looking to spend more than 400$ if possible, cheaper would be better as long as it would do the job fine.

Thanks!

#2 Tue, May 26, 2009 2:24 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Camera for Recording Sets

Here are the features you need:

Image Stabilization
Digital output that works with your computer (firewire or USB)

As far as the recording medium, miniDV tape works well but keeps the cost up when you need more tape. My next camera will probably be a hard drive model with atleast 100 gb of storage.

Price it all out and make the best decision you can. Let us know what you go with.

You can also read digital camcorder reviews at cnet.com

Also strongly recommending the Trakker Mount http://www.proskicoach.com/gear/trakker

#3 Wed, May 27, 2009 2:14 AM

BigHead

Thanks for the reply Wade,

Im thinking of getting this one http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai … ;langid=EN

unless someone has any objections or better suggestion.

Thanks for the help.

#4 Sat, May 30, 2009 3:01 AM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

Bighead, we are currently using the Flip Video my 11 year old got for Christmas. It's a neat set up, run a set, go to the dock review all the mistakes, do it again! What I like is the kids interest this camera breeds, since it is their equipment..Good Luck!

#5 Sat, May 30, 2009 1:36 PM

kstateskier

you guys seen the FlipVideo?  Handheld - records digitally - and in HD and fairly cheap...

http://www.theflip.com/

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#6 Sun, May 31, 2009 9:34 PM

TVanO
Foot Forward: LFF

anyone have a slick method to mount flip video to tracker or similar?
flip video have image stab?
tx for the help.

#7 Tue, Jun 2, 2009 1:32 AM

BigHead

Its funny you should mention the flip, just recently i was reading some camera teck and they were talking about that camera in particular being pretty cool.

Gonna go read up on it for sure.

On a side note, I was using my friends camera this weekend, a canon dc100 mini dvd, its a few years old and although the video quality isnt bad it records in mpeg2 and I am having a hell of a time editing the video.  I have so far had to download 2 programs and am spending the better part of an hour just converting it to a different format so i can edit it.

Oh and I found out real quick you need a decent camera man, or something like the trakker mount, my dad apparently has no skill with a camcorder..... got alot of footage of the bottom of the boat haha.

#8 Tue, Jun 2, 2009 1:38 AM

BigHead

So i was just looking at the flip, wow does it have nice specs for such a small and relatively cheap video camera.

I couldnt see in the specifications if it had the image stabilization maybe skibuddy could comment on that.

It says it is tripod mountable, i dont have experience with the trakker mount but i would assume you could mount it to it, arent tripods fairly universal?

#9 Thu, Jul 16, 2009 7:18 AM

Trakker

The Flip Video works great with the Trakker.  Here is sample video:

Last edited by Trakker (Fri, Jul 17, 2009 9:28 AM)

#10 Tue, Jul 28, 2009 2:02 PM

Trakker

This is some feedback a customer gave me regarding camera choices for use with, or without, the Trakker Video Camera Mounts.  I though it was great information, including video, so I wanted to post it ASAP.  I am just going to quote the email verbatim.  The second video is a very good comparison of two different camera types.  Great Information!  Thanks Derek:

“I was able to get my hands on a HD video camera with a 3CCD sensor and let me tell you.. night and day difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZ1tOgjCfk
(didn't align the mount right for surfing, so you can see most of the footage got cut out... but you can see there is no horrible vibrations anymore)

You should also mention on your site, that users only use 3CCD/CCD sensor cameras, not ones with a CMOS sensor.. check out the following video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSWDP1Tsj1Y
"

Last edited by Trakker (Tue, Jul 28, 2009 2:02 PM)

#11 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 2:16 AM

jcochrane007
Foot Forward: Left

Is there a concern using models with a built-in hard disk that the vibrations from the boat would damage the drive?

#12 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 3:11 PM

Trakker

jcochrane007 wrote:

Is there a concern using models with a built-in hard disk that the vibrations from the boat would damage the drive?

I don't know about damage, but you are very likely to lose the run you were trying to record.  In our experience the vibration of the boat disrupts the moving parts in the disk drive and many time stops the drive all together.  We have been able to start recording again, but might have lost an important run we wanted to analyze.

#13 Thu, Oct 29, 2009 2:57 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

Trakker wrote:

This is some feedback a customer gave me regarding camera choices for use with, or without, the Trakker Video Camera Mounts.  I though it was great information, including video, so I wanted to post it ASAP.  I am just going to quote the email verbatim.  The second video is a very good comparison of two different camera types.  Great Information!  Thanks Derek:

“I was able to get my hands on a HD video camera with a 3CCD sensor and let me tell you.. night and day difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZ1tOgjCfk
(didn't align the mount right for surfing, so you can see most of the footage got cut out... but you can see there is no horrible vibrations anymore)

You should also mention on your site, that users only use 3CCD/CCD sensor cameras, not ones with a CMOS sensor.. check out the following video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSWDP1Tsj1Y
"

Any updates on this topic regarding CCD vs. CMOS?  There is talk of the new Kodak Zi8 being so great but apparently has CMOS sensor.  Has anyone tested on the Trakker?

#14 Thu, Oct 29, 2009 5:24 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

In addition to Deke's post, are there any CCD type camera's that are affordable? (economical...)
I "heard" they can be many, many times more expensive. But, I have not followed up on that info yet...

Hey Deke, I hear they work great in the SNOW! -Got any Snow yet?smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#15 Fri, Oct 30, 2009 1:17 AM

Deke

I think the FLIP is CCD.  Yes, we have snow.  Been snowing for a couple of days and right on schedule (Halloween).

#16 Fri, Oct 30, 2009 1:46 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:

Deke, we use the flip video and it works pretty well. However, there are a couple of drawbacks from my experience. First of all, we have not found a way to mount it usining the Trakker type mounts. Secondly, the zoom is not great enough to view a lot of details unless the skiier is at a length of 32 off or less, which if you are filming children they are usually at longer lines and you will miss some of the greatest facial expressions ever. Since the flip is so small, it takes some getting use to the effects of boat vibration. With that being said, we still use ours a lot and the formating of the videos are great..just my .02's..Joe

#17 Fri, Oct 30, 2009 9:28 PM

Deke

skibuddy wrote:

Deke, we use the flip video and it works pretty well. However, there are a couple of drawbacks from my experience. First of all, we have not found a way to mount it usining the Trakker type mounts. Secondly, the zoom is not great enough to view a lot of details unless the skiier is at a length of 32 off or less, which if you are filming children they are usually at longer lines and you will miss some of the greatest facial expressions ever. Since the flip is so small, it takes some getting use to the effects of boat vibration. With that being said, we still use ours a lot and the formating of the videos are great..just my .02's..Joe

Joe,
What's up with the mounting?  Isn't there a tripod mount on the bottom?  Also, on the vibration, some of the videos I've seen are really good.  Maybe they weren't shot with the Trakker???
Deke

#18 Sat, Oct 31, 2009 12:00 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Post # 9 by Trakker is supposed to have been done with a "Flip" mounted on a "Trakker"???

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#19 Sat, Oct 31, 2009 11:39 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

skibuddy wrote:

The FlipHD has a standard tripod mount that works fine with the trakker. Zoom has never been a problem for us- details are crystal clear at -15 with no zoom. Also we see zero vibration with the trakker + the FlipHD. Basically I've experienced the complete opposite of what you claim, Joe. I have numerous vids on YouTube (including the one in page 1 of this post) taken with the FlipHD + the Trakker. They look great.

#20 Sun, Nov 1, 2009 1:02 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:

Guys, after further review, I realize that my "Flip"is not a true Flip, but another brand. Maybe that explains the performance..Sorry for the misinformation..Joe

Board footer