Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, May 20, 2009 12:04 AM

chris

prop change

we dinged our prop on our club boat.  we've also upgraded our zo to version q.  while our original prop is getting fixed, we put on our back up.  it's the same pitch.  all of us are at least a pass down.  is it the new zo , the new prop a combo.  thx chris

#2 Wed, May 20, 2009 1:14 AM

Schnitz
Foot Forward: Right

Re: prop change

Chris,

We had the same problem years ago on a MasterCraft.  We replaced the prop with the same size and pitch but from a different manufacturer and we were all down a pass.  It's the prop!

Schnitz!

#3 Wed, May 20, 2009 4:16 AM

chris

thx steve.  i hope you ski with us again here in texas

#4 Wed, May 20, 2009 5:20 PM

mjohnson

It's the prop for sure.  We've had the same problem on our 07 and 08 club boats.  What you will find is the replacment prop is running more rpm (up to 200-300?).   The target rpm is around 3480 (give or take a few).  My guess is the boat takes off faster??

Good luck

#5 Tue, May 26, 2009 7:22 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Someone help me understand how this works.  What does it matter what your rpms are as long as your speed is the same?  Isn't 34 mph still 34 mph no matter what your rpms are?

Garn

#6 Wed, May 27, 2009 2:34 PM

mjohnson

The prop determines the rpm’s required to go a certain speed.  The higher the rpm’s the faster the boat can react to a speed correction, thus causing a stiff/firm pull.  This is probably one of the reason’s Zero Off feels different from boat to boat.  We have a short setup and wanted the boat faster to speed, so we changed our prop (which added rpm’s).  The boat got to speed fast, but no one could ski much past there opening pass (it was amazing).

Board footer