Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, May 18, 2009 3:05 AM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Hardshell Bindings in Rough Conditions

Is it common to end up back on the tail in rougher conditions?

Also, first time on hardshells it was a steep learning curve in terms of being smooth as my ski was much more reactive – does this make rough water more of a challenge on hardshells?

#2 Mon, May 18, 2009 6:59 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Hardshell Bindings in Rough Conditions

Yes, it is extremely common for skiers to be riding the tail in rough conditions.  In situations where there is a lack of balance, staying back seems safe.  The problem is that your ski does not perform well when ridden out the back.  Have confidence in your skiing ability and ride the ski where you do in calm conditions.  Keeping a calm mind in these situations seems to really help me.

Hardshells perform great in rough water.  You need to spend some more time on them before making any judgements.

#3 Tue, May 19, 2009 1:26 AM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Thx Chris - I'm on the new binders and not looking back regardless. Also, still working on riding the ski balanced when it's calm let alone choppy. But it's good to know that maybe it was more conditions than me forgetting everything WW schooled me on over the winter!

Good luck this weekend!

#4 Tue, May 19, 2009 2:06 AM

JP

getting on the tail in questionable to me is a very tough thing. It is instinct to get on the tail but in reality it makes things worse because it throws you off balance.

The hardshells like chris said are great in rough water. I will also say that i hated my hardshells for probably my first 5 sets on them. I noticed alot of movement in my legs that i didnt know i was doing. Once i worked that out and got use to them i would never go with anything else!

Board footer