Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, May 15, 2009 10:37 PM

5_cougars_thanks

Right ski choice

hi all,

I am just an intermediate skier. I ski on an Obrien Synchro 66" and found this very stable but really hard to initiate turns. (technique is probably a factor). I tried my mates Conelly Outlaw and really liked this ski. I think it skied nicer than the synchro.

I weigh about 150 ponds and am 5 10" and I dont ski the course - just river skiing.

I am an obrien fan so I went and purchased a seige. Just a bit unstable for me at the moment.

I am now looking at either a HO charger 67" or a Radar theory 67.

Can anyone help me out on the above 2 skis.

Thanks heaps

#2 Fri, May 15, 2009 10:49 PM

2gofaster

Re: Right ski choice

The Radar theory is a nice, very stable ski. Head and shoulders better than the Charger in my opinion. It's got it's basis in the original Mapple MPD design. Another ski you might consider is the Radar 65 Senate. It's a similar ski to the Synchro. I've never been on a Synchro, but the Senate series turns really well. It's got the surface area of a 66 so it'd fit you fine.

Shane Hill

#3 Sat, May 16, 2009 11:48 AM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Coming from the Synchro, I would feel very confident putting you on a 65 Radar Senate.  That ski rips.  The Radar Theory is also a very good ski.  It's 0.2" wider than the Senate so it's meant for slower speeds but at those slower speeds it performs like the Senate.  Both are great turning skis that are quick side to side.  Very effortless skiing.

#4 Sat, May 16, 2009 11:54 AM

5_cougars_thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I ski at around 30 - 32 - and am leaning towards the safer option of the radar theory.

Happy skiing

#5 Sat, May 16, 2009 12:57 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

While I only have 14 passes on my Theory, I can't give very much feed back... But, it is extremely stable and VERY forgiving...

In contast, there is NO comparison to the Radical and squirrelly feeling you surely feel on the Seige. The Theory will hands down blow the Seige out of the water at 30 - 32 mph! And if you want to slow down to 28 mph the seige will sink and the Theory will still be there for you!

When I did my research before buying and did not find the Syncro to have enough positive fan base to even test ride one.

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Sat, May 16, 2009 1:24 PM

2gofaster

All of the Radar products are very, very stable underfoot.  And if you're an obrien fan, they certainly fit the bill as they are Herb's current company.

Shane Hill

#7 Sat, May 16, 2009 1:57 PM

5_cougars_thanks

Thanks again to all for your feedback & h20dawg79 - yeah goin with the theory.

Thanks Again

Peter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlDXTc8IJ7c

#8 Fri, May 29, 2009 12:25 AM

skiall6ps190

Hi Guys
I am a young guy and an intermediate skier. I am looking to buy a new ski. I am 5'10" and 195lbs. and I looked at a Radar Theory today but it was a 69". I am currently skiing a 67" but want a little bit more stable ski. I know that other posts in this thread have said that Radar skis are very stable. I am just wondering what people's thoughts are on going with the 67" Theory or the 69" Theory. Or if there are any other moderately priced skis that you could recommend. Thanks!

Matt

#9 Wed, Jun 3, 2009 5:42 PM

JasonHutchins
Skis At: I wish I had a place
Foot Forward: Left

Matt,
Are you skiing the course or plan on skiing in a course?  How fast are you skiing?  What ski are you currently on?  The other skis I've seen work well at slower speeds are Connelly F1X's, and HO Triumphs.  The Radars (senate and theory) are both very sick.  All are worth checking out so if you are definitely getting a new ski use the H2osmosis Ride before you buy program and try them all!

#10 Wed, Jun 3, 2009 8:09 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

skiall6ps190 wrote:

Hi Guys
I am a young guy and an intermediate skier. I am looking to buy a new ski. I am 5'10" and 195lbs. and I looked at a Radar Theory today but it was a 69". I am currently skiing a 67" but want a little bit more stable ski. I know that other posts in this thread have said that Radar skis are very stable. I am just wondering what people's thoughts are on going with the 67" Theory or the 69" Theory. Or if there are any other moderately priced skis that you could recommend. Thanks!

Matt

I totally agree with Jason, why spend a lot of $$$ and have a surplus of ski's that didn't really work out???
As far as the 69" Theory goes, I can say that I am 6'-0" 195lbs. and my 69" works rather well at slow coarse speeds and still grooves nice @ 34mph free skiing. I moved my fin all the way forward (no fin box) to help shorten the turn radius and I'm testing for optimum binding location. The ski will not Bang the corners, so I'm respectfully learning how to be more patient and fluid through the turns... This will surely translate into less physical and much better corners on my Annex @ higher speeds. I think for the coarse only, I could have squeaked by on a 67". But, I wanted to be able to slow way down (28.6 mph) and work on rhythm and technique. This ski does this without sinking!

Good luck Man!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#11 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 3:01 AM

skiall6ps190

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses. I have been working on skiing the course but at slow speeds (28-30 mph) but do mostly free skiing due to lack of access to courses in my area. When I free ski, I ski at around 32-34 mph. I would love to enhance my skills at the course but right now on an 67" O'brien Synchro, it just doesnt seem to be working. The feel of the Synchro is that it is stable enough for me, but just not fast enough. I feel like I'm pushing the ski as far as it can go and its time for an upgrade to something that is maybe quicker but also maintains a stable feel. I have rode friend's skis which are quicker but the 66" to 67" inch range (Connelly HP, HO Mach 1) always seems to be too narrow and unstable for me. I was just wondering if a Radar Theory 67" would be any different or the only stable feel I could find would be to move up to a 68" or 69" range ski.

Matt

#12 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 11:33 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

skiall6ps190 wrote:

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses. I have been working on skiing the course but at slow speeds (28-30 mph) but do mostly free skiing due to lack of access to courses in my area. When I free ski, I ski at around 32-34 mph. I would love to enhance my skills at the course but right now on an 67" O'brien Synchro, it just doesnt seem to be working. The feel of the Synchro is that it is stable enough for me, but just not fast enough. I feel like I'm pushing the ski as far as it can go and its time for an upgrade to something that is maybe quicker but also maintains a stable feel. I have rode friend's skis which are quicker but the 66" to 67" inch range (Connelly HP, HO Mach 1) always seems to be too narrow and unstable for me. I was just wondering if a Radar Theory 67" would be any different or the only stable feel I could find would be to move up to a 68" or 69" range ski.

Matt

Hey Matt,

How often do you ski and are you planning on skiing this season?

The 69" Theory would be the stick size for you. I just got off the ph. with Eddie Roberts @ Radar yesterday, and confirmed what I had said; "I could probably squeak by on a 67"... But, he said the 69" is really where I should stay with that ski for my purposes... (I am adding a fin block as well...)

A longer 68"-69" and slightly racier ski would help your stability factor as well. But, bang for the buck you can't beat what the Theory has to offer...

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Fri, Jun 5, 2009 11:46 AM)

#13 Fri, Jun 5, 2009 4:50 PM

ChrisRossi

69 Senate or Theory.  I like the Theory for 26-30 and the Senate for 30-34.  Many other skiers are having success with the theory at faster speeds, but when I compare it to the Senate at those speeds, I prefer the Senate.  You won't go wrong either way.

#14 Mon, Jun 8, 2009 8:57 PM

skiall6ps190

Thanks for all of your help guys. The Theory 69" is the one I am going with. Can't wait to ski it!

Board footer