Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, May 6, 2009 6:03 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond
Foot Forward: Left

Breaking at the wake...

I am looking for any and all suggestions for breaking forward at the wake!  I skied the full ski course 10 years ago and have been skiing tournaments ever since... and I still have this horrible problem of bouncing off the wake and going forward...  I am a pretty aggressive skier and wish I could ski more like the typical "Girl"....   I have managed to get deep into 32 off intournaments, but this HUGE problem stands in my way....  HELP!!!

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#2 Wed, May 6, 2009 11:45 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

Re: Breaking at the wake...

Taking less angle initially out of the turns will help you to have a more progressive lean that will max out over the second wake assuming you have a strong "box" with the handle staying connected at the hips. Don't ski more aggressively, ski smarter!

#3 Thu, May 7, 2009 6:41 AM

H20SkiGirl

I have never heard it that way, but is makes sense!  I do tend to lean hard right out of the buoy!!!   I need more things to think about and actually do  them.....

#4 Thu, May 7, 2009 1:58 PM

moomba1
Foot Forward: right ft

rookie,how you start will determine how far you get through the course.we need to figure out why you are getting popped and pushed forward before we go any further.watch a video of yourself and pinpoint the exact spot the trouble started.run your video next to a pro and go frame by frame and you will see it.if you lean to hard out of the ball then you are most likely leaning to hard when pulling in for the gates as well.overload leads to pre-mature unload which leads to distortion of body position; game over.i would bet you lost the battle right from the start.look and you will see.

dont be afraid

#5 Fri, May 8, 2009 7:14 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Any attempt to get yourself to the wakes faster than the boat will pull you into them will result in a break in body position through the wake or edge change. You can't pull yourself to the wakes faster than the boat will pull you there. The boat is in charge of the pulling. Not you. Without the boat's pull you will sink. At the end of the lake you can pull as hard as you want and you will not get onto the surface of the water until the boat driver applies the throttle.

So to stop breaking at the wake, stop trying to get yourself to the wakes so fast and you will have better position when you get there.

#6 Fri, May 8, 2009 8:35 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Wade,
That is so simple yet i find i have never looked at it that way. Tomorrow i am going to let the boat do the work to get me thru the wakes. I have already pictured myself very relaxed letting the boat do the work once i am in position.
I like the simple approach it works really well for me.
Thanks MC

#7 Mon, May 11, 2009 4:12 AM

Boody38

Great tip Wade, I am h20skigirl's husband and have been trying to work with her on the problem.  It seems to be more severe this year, probably because of what happened in this video.  First week of July, last year, she seperated her shoulder and was done for the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_T47t_WGk

#8 Mon, May 11, 2009 1:42 PM

moomba1

local,people don't realize the devastating results of overloading the line right at the pull in for the gates.you don't need this aggressive lean towards the back of your ski,you essentialy mimic a forced turn by doing this.a forced turn has a tiny narrow arch and instantly starts traveling down course not across.practice pulling in for the gates with the handle closer to your body and less upper body movement.dont lean back, gently leverage away.

Last edited by moomba1 (Mon, May 11, 2009 8:14 PM)

dont be afraid

#9 Mon, May 11, 2009 4:09 PM

2gofaster

Someone on this web site said something a week or so ago that really stuck in my little pea brain. They said that "max load equals edge change. It doesn't matter if the max load is at the 2nd wake or 3 ft from the ball you just rounded, you will still edge change." I think this can be applied to your skiing here. I was skiing with a girl this weekend that was getting pulled up or pulled forward  at the wakes on almost every pass, so I relayed that tidbit. Wow, what a difference it made for her.  She was also starting the turn in to the gates with the handle really high and away like you. So when she turned it, it was like she was pulling herself and her ski to the handle which started her off with the ski behind her. Much like her, I think if you started out with your hands and handle lower and didn't try to pull yourself to the handle, that you'd be able to make more of a progressive turn in to the gates and also allow yourself to drop away from the handle easier. I think if you like that aggressive feeling at the pullout and the gates, then trying a real 1 handed gate might be something worth trying for a while.

Shane Hill

#10 Mon, May 11, 2009 5:20 PM

H20SkiGirl

Thank you everyone, for giving me some great advice on breaking forward.  As I watch people ski who don't get pulled forward, I wonder how they do that and I get so frusterated...  I love this sport and want to get better and excel, but until I figure this out I will not! 

I have printed this topic and will read each of your responses a few times so I can visualize how to accomplish these concepts.  I really appreciate your time and advice !!!

#11 Mon, May 11, 2009 8:18 PM

moomba1

local,#8 was for you i accidentaly put rookie.my bad.loved the video both you guys are great skiers

dont be afraid

#12 Mon, May 11, 2009 8:31 PM

Thomas Wayne

Boody38 wrote:

Great tip Wade, I am h20skigirl's husband and have been trying to work with her on the problem.  It seems to be more severe this year, probably because of what happened in this video.  First week of July, last year, she seperated her shoulder and was done for the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_T47t_WGk

"Your eye's bleeding..."

That's always good to hear while getting into the boat.

TW

Board footer