Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Aug 13, 2007 11:01 PM

GaryBerthelsen
Foot Forward: LFF

1978 Maherajah LaPoint Brothers Advertisement

West Coast Slalom, since 1977

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/img/krisboblapointtt0.jpg

Last edited by WadeWilliams (Thu, Dec 11, 2008 8:50 PM)

#2 Tue, Aug 14, 2007 2:45 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH

Re: 1978 Maherajah LaPoint Brothers Advertisement

how short was the line back then for the world record???

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#3 Wed, Aug 15, 2007 12:19 AM

GaryBerthelsen

29-Apr-1984      KRIS LAPOINT      4.50 10.75/58      MCCORMICK INTERNATIONAL      SEFFNER, FL      USA

23 years later...again, 23 years later...and chris parrish betters Kris's score by 1 buoy.  lol, 1 buoy.  jamie beauchesne did 2 or 3 buoys better in the same tournament.

Same lake, same month, 23 years later.  guess we haven't gotten very far.

i've practiced exclusively on that same lake for 3 years.  helena kjellander, susie graham-mccormick used to practice there.  also bob lapoint.  mike morgan sometimes.

i'm still looking for the record back in '75, when kris was 13 and set the world slalom record.  there was 1 tournament Kris was in --- at age 14 --- where they had no more shortening loops in the rope, so he got a boatride to shore.

#4 Wed, Aug 15, 2007 12:28 AM

RS

As close as I could get.

1980: Bob LaPoint became the first skier to make a perfect pass on an 11.25-meter line (38 feet off) in a Record Capability tournament at the McCormick World Record Challenge in Seffner, Fla

#5 Mon, Oct 1, 2007 9:19 PM

GaryBerthelsen

just found this, thought i'd add it in

Slalom World Champions
------------------------------------------
1977 Bob LaPoint at Milan, IT
1979 Bob Lapoint at Toronto, CA
1981 Andy Mapple at London, UK
1983 Bob LaPoint at Goteborg, SE
1985 Bob LaPoint at Toulouse, FR
1987 Bob LaPoint at London, UK

Andy locked out of slalom world champion position for 6 years.

#6 Tue, Dec 9, 2008 2:59 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

I just have to say that this is an awsome photo and we are sporting the LaPointe handlbar 'stache at SkiTek in tribute. Cheers to Bob and Kris for pushing the facial hair limits of this sport!

Colin Buchanan

#7 Wed, Dec 10, 2008 6:42 AM

sparky765

hahaha, this is awesome.  I'm going to download these images and send them to my mother who is still skiing on her Maherajah!  Love it!

#8 Wed, Dec 10, 2008 4:53 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL
Foot Forward: Right

Guys, I have a large box full of Spray and Waterski mags, as well as The Water Skier, from about 1977-81ish. I can dig through those a bit and try to find the 77 line length. Flipping through those old mags is awesome- all the old ads for American Skier, MC, CC, and all the old gear. I have an AWSA pamphlet on slalom skiing that is probably at least 35 years old. Lots of what is discussed in the pamphlet is fundamentally the same as it is now.

#9 Thu, Dec 11, 2008 8:42 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Today is a cold and rainy day in Central Florida ... for lack of something better to do we decided to recreate the LaPoint Brother's poster in the SkiTek driveway. I can only say that the resemblance is shocking.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/img/rainy_day.jpg
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/img/colin_mustache.jpg

#10 Thu, Dec 11, 2008 8:56 PM

mg

look thats me.. the real wade williams.. im on the bike( killer wheelie bro), and my alter ego is holding the bucket...

#11 Fri, Dec 12, 2008 3:58 AM

JP

Nice Wade!

I think i learned to never leave my ski around ski tek!

#12 Fri, Dec 12, 2008 2:01 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Good idea! Skis that get left around here usually just get dialed in... and usually ski better just from being around the energy of the site. Ofcourse if your ski is a 5 year old factory blem then it could wind up on the lawn or in a puddle... from time-to-time. And don't mind that impostor who posted.

#13 Sun, Dec 28, 2008 3:36 AM

GaryBerthelsen

WadeWilliams wrote:

Good idea! Skis that get left around here usually just get dialed in... and usually ski better just from being around the energy of the site. Ofcourse if your ski is a 5 year old factory blem then it could wind up on the lawn or in a puddle... from time-to-time. And don't mind that impostor who posted.

Who is the imposter you mention?  It would be helpful if you could target your criticism instead of a meandering post directed to someone, of which we have not a clue.

thanks for the info, scot.  you might want to go ahead and make your own thread instead of bringing your other skiers into my thread.  do you know how to make a new thread?

Last edited by [RAGE]Riddick51PB (Sun, Dec 28, 2008 3:47 AM)

#14 Mon, Dec 29, 2008 1:54 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

[RAGE]Riddick51PB wrote:

Who is the imposter you mention?  It would be helpful if you could target your criticism instead of a meandering post directed to someone, of which we have not a clue.

thanks for the info, scot.  you might want to go ahead and make your own thread instead of bringing your other skiers into my thread.  do you know how to make a new thread?

Aaah,  come on Rage, tell em' how ya really feel!!!
(all in fun...)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#15 Mon, Dec 29, 2008 2:05 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

The impostor would be the character posting under the name "I'm the real wade williams"... pretty sure he's the guy with the bucket in the picture. Thanks for readin Rage, keep the good stuff comin!
I'll try to be more constructive with my feedback. Happy new year!

Scott's very helpful post with all the records since 1973 can be found here:
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=608

Board footer