Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jan 28, 2009 8:11 AM

mikeleake

Female wet suit shorts recommended for safety?

I have always heard and recommended that females should ski with wet suit shorts on in case of a bad fall, but lately I have noticed that so many pros and amatuers dont? Can anyone shed some light on this?

#2 Wed, Jan 28, 2009 3:27 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Female wet suit shorts recommended for safety?

For women, I think swimsuits should be optional.

#3 Wed, Jan 28, 2009 7:09 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

I would reccomend issuing it!!
Last summer I had an fall not a bad fall, just a fall going to ball 5. I was wearing my bathing suit with some cute shorts on top of it. Without going through the entire ordeal  it put me on the doctors office next day. Thank God nothing serious happened but it could have!
Google Polaris (jet ski) accident law suit and read about it, pretty amazing article as well.
My doctor said that there are so many water skiing accidents of this nature, but not reported. This can cause serious injuries to a woman to a point of not being able to bear children.

#4 Wed, Jan 28, 2009 8:39 PM

JP

Garn wrote:

For women, I think swimsuits should be optional.

Amen to that!

#5 Wed, Jan 28, 2009 9:17 PM

snow1122

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/cal … 106375.pdf

Perhaps this article will help you decide.

Polaris lawsuit in Napa Valley, Ca

#6 Wed, Jan 28, 2009 9:37 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

yikesyikesyikes

Susan Ford sustained severe orifice injuries after falling off the rear of a two-
seater Polaris personal watercraft.  The jet-powered nozzle propelled a high-pressure
stream of water that tore apart her internal organs.  Today she uses a colostomy bag,
urinates through a catheter, and her lower right torso and leg are numb from nerve
damage.  Susan and her husband sued the manufacturer and distributor of the
watercraft on a strict products liability theory.

While that's all fine and well... from a safety standpoint... in water skiing you fortuately dont have a jet of water that could potentially blast you in the crotch. While I'm in no commenting on whether or not it is a safety hazard to ski with or without one, personally I prefer it when ladies where bikinis when skiing.... but it's just one more thing that I had never thought of.

For jumping, on the other hand, I know for a fact that injuries like this have happened -- coming out of the air with your feet open into water can't be wicked safe for anyone. Hence the big padded jump suit.

In slalom I would think that you'd tumble and take the fall on some other part of your body before you got your feet out of your ski and landed crotch first, though.

#7 Wed, Jan 28, 2009 9:56 PM

snow1122

Hey guys, this is a female here and this has happened to me last summer while slalom skiing!!
Like I said before my fall was not a bad fall as a matter of fact I didn't fall! When I came to ball 5 I had too much speed as I slow down so I didn't ended up on shore the water came up between my legs and up my crotch, I guess I don't have to tell you more.
My doctor also said that this is common among water skiers!

Have you ever got an enema from falling on doubles? I have, and I know many people that this has happened to.
How about wearing neoprene padded shorts while barefooting, have you asked yourself why?
Preventing accidents, being responsible.

Hello people...........wake up...........

#8 Thu, Jan 29, 2009 1:14 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Hey Snow,

Sorry to hear of your incident. But, on the up side thankfully you were not seriously injured and secondly your desire to be of help to others is Greatly appreciated...   -I have 2 daughters...smile

I always (usually) wear $10.00 Golds Gym neo shorts from WalMart under my Swim shorts. I grew up on the water and have taught and pulled Countless skiers, boarders and tubers and I hate to say that I was ABSOLUTELY Ignorant of this inherent risk factor for the average Jo-ann!

Thanx Again!

P.S. I was born & raised in So. Cal. spending up to 30 to 40 week ends a yr. @ the Colorado river...  -a True River Rat!!! cool

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#9 Thu, Jan 29, 2009 5:44 PM

snow1122

Hello  H20dawg79,

Thank you for you kind words. I just wanted people to know it realy pays to wear the right protective gear. Safety and responsibility should be our first priority. I'm glad to hear you do wear your neoprene shorts.
My husband always told me to wear the neoprene shorts for safety and I did for few years, until I felt very comfortable slalom skiing, then I wanted to look cute so I started to wear bikinis with cute little tiny shorts on top, pretty much useless for safety. Until, this happened last year, wow that was a wake call for me!
Not sure why we can't find cute neoprene shorts for women, everything out there is not cute at all, but it works! Maybe someone reading this blog will start designing women neoprene shorts for slalom skiing.

Yes, make sure your daughters do wear the neoprene shorts, you don't want something of this nature happened to anyone specially your loved ones.

I snow ski, snowmobile, wake board, barefoot, slalom and trick with all the right gear for each sport. Cheap insurance.
I'm from S. America, so slalom skiing was part of my life until few years back but now is here to stay:o)
Be safe and happy skiing:o)
Sunny and warm in S. Cali today maybe into the 80's by tomorrow.
Enjoy!

#10 Mon, Feb 2, 2009 2:48 AM

mikeleake

Hi all, appreciate all your thoughts on this and will go the safety route and recommend the females continue to wear some sort of neoprene short. My girlfriend has already argued that they done look 'cute' so will maybe try and produce one that is! Stay tuned!

#11 Mon, Feb 2, 2009 5:47 PM

snow1122

Hello Mike,

Last summer, I bought a pair of adorable neoprene shorts with flowers on the side, but did it not work. It filled with water from the back, looked like a big wet diaper:o(
Yes, let me know if you find anything out there that's "Cute" for women.

Thank you!

#12 Mon, Feb 2, 2009 6:23 PM

ScotChipman

Snow1122, Try www.miamiskinautiques.com/ProductDetail … ahiaShorts

I always wear neoprene shorts under my board shorts for a little protection.

Last edited by scotchipman (Mon, Feb 2, 2009 6:26 PM)

Scot Chipman

#13 Mon, Feb 2, 2009 11:12 PM

snow1122

Hello Slasher,

Thank you very much!!
I seen these before, I wonder if they're a little too short to make a difference, but I should order and give it try anyway:o)

Yes, please wear your neoprene shorts, one nevers knows, why take a chance.
Your guys are lucky, you can hide it underneath your board shorts, nice........

Board footer