Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Apr 17, 2009 12:45 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

D/D Malibu XTI for the course?

Can anyone comment on the slalom wake, handling, etc... on an 03 - 04 Malibu XTI 21ft. D/D ??? Could this be a Very good All purpose "Cross over" boat???  Slalom wise, Is it basically the same as the D/D "Sunsetter" with a better seating arrangement?

Thanx!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#2 Fri, Apr 17, 2009 2:32 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Re: D/D Malibu XTI for the course?

My brother has this boat and was told it would be fine for the course by Malibu Engineer and Dealer.    After skiing with him this boat does not even come close to a Response wake and has a big big bump.  It is difficult to hold edge across wakes due to size.  Also watch out if it has the Illusion Tower as rope will hit tower on turns.  The Tower is mounted to far back and causes problems.  That being said it is a great family boat.  It has lots of room, a better wake than most boats built for this configuration, looks great, and if family likes wakeboarding puts out a pretty nice wake with the wedge.  You can get through the course with this boat but don't confuse it for a slalom machine.  Brother actually went out and bought an older response lx for the course and takes the XTi out for the day with the family.  He says if he had to do it over again would have saved a lot of money and bought a Response Lxi and have one boat.   My cousin made the same mistake and now owns a response and xti as well.  He realized that when he really wanted to slalom he would go bum rides off a friend with a response rather than use his own xti but his family loves the xti as they ski and wakeboard.  I am interested to hear if others have similar views.  Another buddy has the sunsetter that is built on a similar platform and will use his dads very old supra instead of the sunsetter when he heads into the course.  I think you get the point.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#3 Fri, Apr 17, 2009 2:43 PM

cbc_anderson

I bought a 2006 XTI with the slalom hull hoping it would be a perfect cross-over boat for my young family.  I even talked to design engineers at Malibu and got comfortable that boat would be a good-enough slalom boat, have room for family and wakeboard performance for the kids.

I wouldn't suggest going down that path.  For a recreational slalom skier, the wake is fine, but if you really love slalom you won't be happy with the wake on the XTI.  I ended up buying a 96 response LX and use that for my slalom sessions and use the big boat for family outings.

If you like Malibu (which I do), I would highly recommend that you consider a Response LXI with a tower and a wedge.  With the walk-through bow you have space for the family, the slalom wake and tracking are world-class, and the tower and wedge will give you good-enough wakeboard capabilities.

I learned there is no such thing as a cross-over that doesn't sacrifice performance along some dimension.  That said, I realize a family needs a versatile boat.  My advice would be:  If your first-love like slalom, get a slalom boat that can also do other things.

I sure wish I could have a do-over.  I would have the boat I want (instead of two) and a enough cash left over to buy a pick-up.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to share my experience

#4 Fri, Apr 17, 2009 2:44 PM

cbc_anderson

Hey brother, don't you ever work smile  It looks like we were in the process of replying at the same time.

#5 Sat, Apr 18, 2009 11:50 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

O.K. !!! Well, ya can't blame me for trying!smile

Let me ask this: Is there any boat that has a walk through Bow (besides the Response LXI, that is clearly out of my budget...) that I and my fellow course skiers could be happy with?????smilelolcool i.e. Centurion T-5, Sunsetter Lxi, Moomba Outback, Mastercraft X-9 ???

*** My wife has acquired a spinal disorder and cannot safely step over the step over bow boats.( stay the hell away from diet coke!)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Sat, Apr 18, 2009 9:43 PM

skyfit

I have an 04 response lxi loaded less tower/wedge priced to move. My ski/boat partner moved across the state. Has stargazer and classic. It's likely in your budget due to our misfortune.

#7 Thu, Apr 30, 2009 1:54 PM

EKirby

My buddy has a 2000 Sunsetter LXI that I got into 32 off at 34 mph.  The wake is a litter bigger but very soft.  The boat has a lot of room and a great all around boat.

#8 Fri, May 1, 2009 11:47 PM

cbc_anderson

From what I heard, 2000 or 2001 was the last year that the Sunsetter had a narrow width and a soft wake.  After that, things got big

Board footer