Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Apr 14, 2009 12:17 PM

matuszewski
Foot Forward: right

Recommended Settings & USCG Vests

Hi Wade, great website you have going here - you've come a long way since my Dad and I skied with you at Flax Pond.  As I think my Dad may have mentioned to you, I started getting back into some consistent skiing again last year after a few choppy years due to chasing little ones.  I've been lurking for a while and have learned a ton from the posts and articles already uploaded.  That said I have a couple of unresolved questions that I could use some help with.

My goal last year was to get deep into my 22 off pass at 36mph - I didn't quite make it, so I guess I have the same goal this year.  Mid way through the season I picked up a 2008 Monza 68".  I'm 6'-1" and 195ish.  I first skied it stock, then moved the front binding forward one hole, and that is where it is today.  In general I am satisfied and comfortable with how the ski feels and rides with these settings.  Looking at your ski data base, I see the recommended settings for that ski and wonder how close that is to what I'm riding and whether it is worth it, given my skill level to further experiment with the ski set up.  I think I know the answer, but figured I would get confirmation from the Pro.

Next question is about ski vests. I have an old neoprene Oneil vest that needs updating.  In my constant quest for every edge I can get I'm looking for the least bulky, lightest, most flexible vest out there.  Naturally that leads me to looking at Comp vests rather than USCG approved vests.  Any thoughts about the Comp vests (i.e. will it still keep me floating after I take a ski off the forhead in a crash?), also any that you would recomend either Comp or USCG?

Thanks for your input.  One of these days I'll get down to Ski Tek, or maybe get into some virtual coaching this year.

#2 Tue, Apr 14, 2009 12:24 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Recommended Settings & USCG Vests

John, great to have you on board!

The recommended settings in the database are just that -- a recommended starting point. Most of the fin numbers are the manufacturer's recommended settings, some of them are our own suggestions. If you have your ski pretty dialed and it's working for you, then don't worry about it too much... but you should record where your fin and bindings are at in www.myskilog.com so you can get back to those measurements in the future.

For the record i'll recommend a USCG approved vest. If you're skiing in a controlled environment and you trust the people in the boat, most non approved ski vests will still float you near the surface of the water, but they don't meet the uscg requirement of rolling you on your back when you're unconscious.

#3 Tue, Apr 14, 2009 4:59 PM

matuszewski

Thanks Wade - pretty much what I figured, thanks for the confirmation.  Looking at first set of the season sometime within the next week or so as long as water temps get above 50.  Later.

#4 Tue, Apr 14, 2009 5:16 PM

Blair

Mat

for vests, if you are looking for flexability and mobility take a look at a new vest that Jet pilot is bringing out, it is the F-22

i do not see it on the website, however our rep brought it into the store the other day and i was amazed, its a full pullover, but is very comfortable, from what he said it floats like a CGA vest, however due to it being a pull over it dosent pass the rules, it uses a different foam to provide the flotation, more float with less bulk...

check your local dealer...

#5 Tue, Apr 14, 2009 5:19 PM

matuszewski

Thanks - I'll check it out.

#6 Wed, Apr 15, 2009 8:02 PM

owenjas
Foot Forward: Lefty

I would highly reccomend the new oneill gooru jacket, admittedly it isn't the best in terms of bouyancy, but I have found it superb in terms of ease of movement and comfort....just need to find the right balance between safety and comfort for your wants I guess...

Board footer