Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Apr 9, 2009 12:13 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Aerial View of Full Pass

Does anyone have any "Full pass aerial view" Video clips that they could post Here??? (the more the merrier!)

The aerial view is the only view angle that reflects the Actual Angle and Distance to the next Buoy... Because the Cross Course angle can "Seem" at times to Literally be Straight across or much Like 90 deg.'s,  and the actual distance can also "Seem" very short...

This would be a GREAT Tool for instilling the Correct Mental Picture of the actual cross course angle and Distance to the Next Buoy..   Thus, helping to eliminate our Natural desire to ski the  "Impossible Line".... cool

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#2 Mon, Apr 20, 2009 12:44 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Aerial View of Full Pass

Working on it!!

#3 Mon, Apr 20, 2009 10:08 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

WadeWilliams wrote:

Working on it!!

Man, Thats gonna be Waaaaaaaaay Cool!coolcoolcool

Thanx!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 4:36 PM

sszost

Check out the Evolve DVD. It has some good film of MB from overhead. Watch the section on him, and in under extras watch the smooth skiers selection. I don't think it is exactly the angle you are looking for, but it shows MB's angle from buoy to buoy pretty well. Plus I think it is a pretty sweet DVD all the way around.

#5 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 4:51 PM

ScotChipman

This clip has some of Wade Cox for the air. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUJTs5pGNI Footage is from Edged in Water 1.

Last edited by scotchipman (Wed, Jul 29, 2009 4:52 PM)

Scot Chipman

#6 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 12:10 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Thanx Guys!

What I would LOVE to see, is the view from a Helicpter from up above (obviously!) and behind if possible...

This would clearly imprint the "Real time" cross coarse angle. As opposed to the almost 90 deg. angle that it seems like!

It would be totally awesome to see it @ 15 off / 30 mph and 28-35 off / 34-36 mph... Maybe it's just me, -being me,  but I'll bet seeing those shots would redefine our perception or misconception of the actual time and angle... (maybe we woukldn't try to work SO Hard...)

What do you think WADE?????big_smile

#7 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 1:03 AM

ScotChipman

22 seconds into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUJTs5pGNI is the view from a Helicopter of Wade right behind the boat most likely and 36 mph and 32' off. This is the shot you are looking for to see the true angle.

Scot Chipman

#8 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 11:46 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

scotchipman wrote:

22 seconds into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUJTs5pGNI is the view from a Helicopter of Wade right behind the boat most likely and 36 mph and 32' off. This is the shot you are looking for to see the true angle.

Ya, thats the view angle! Now, if we can come up with a FULL Pass to study. This angle offers the brief opportunity to also see the timing of his turn initiation and Hook up in relation to the buoy location...

That over head view is much like a set of blue prints. The topo is the foot print. It is the only way to check or examine the entire foot print and its dimensional relations to the entire picture. Could you imagine ever trying to build a house or a building w/o the topo or "floor plan"? Or with only a front or side elevation (view) to work with?!?!   -that would be hilarious!!!lol

Heck, the more I think about it, the more I begin to realize just how important and beneficial this shot could be... -to this point, we've all been building our "Slalom houses" with only a stinking "front view" from the boat to work with! While trying to fill in all the void information with endless explainations and analogies...big_smile

#9 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 1:16 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

h20dawg79 wrote:

Ya, thats the view angle! Now, if we can come up with a FULL Pass to study. This angle offers the brief opportunity to also see the timing of his turn initiation and Hook up in relation to the buoy location...

... we've all been building our "Slalom houses" with only a stinking "front view" from the boat to work with! While trying to fill in all the void information with endless explainations and analogies...big_smile

I agree with this.  Not only is the view from above good, but from behind as  well.  It puts it more into the perspective of the skier.

#10 Tue, Aug 11, 2009 4:37 PM

Thomas Wayne

The longest, most complete segment of overhead footage I've found is on the Evolve dvd.  It's in the "Open Section II" chapter, and it follows on the heels of some Thomas Moore footage.  It's hard to tell who the skier is (may be T-Mo), but it  shows very clearly how the pull-preturn-turn path develops.  It's not a full pass, but it is several consecutive buoys.

A while back I used screen caps of this footage to create a CAD layout of the skier's path for personal study.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Tue, Aug 11, 2009 4:37 PM)

#11 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 12:11 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Thomas Wayne wrote:

The longest, most complete segment of overhead footage I've found is on the Evolve dvd.  It's in the "Open Section II" chapter, and it follows on the heels of some Thomas Moore footage.  It's hard to tell who the skier is (may be T-Mo), but it  shows very clearly how the pull-preturn-turn path develops.  It's not a full pass, but it is several consecutive buoys.

A while back I used screen caps of this footage to create a CAD layout of the skier's path for personal study.

TW

TW, can you up load this clip via you tube or???cool

#12 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 1:54 PM

buddy

Funny, I was watching my new Edged in Water II DVD and they had a shot from a helicopter following behind the boat/skier, and I was thinking how well it showed the true path of the skier.  It showed the whole pass.  It's not shot from directly above, which would be better, but it works...
If you get the DVD, it's in the "Sets 2" bonus feature, about 2 minutes in.  I have some screen shots on my hard drive if someone could tell me how to post them here (I'm a newbie).

Last edited by buddy (Wed, Aug 12, 2009 1:56 PM)

#13 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 4:19 PM

Thomas Wayne

TW, can you up load this clip via you tube or???cool

No idea how to do that.  More importantly, it's copyrighted material, and I tend to care about that sort of thing (probably more than most You-Tubers I suspect).

If you don't have Evolve I'd recommend it highly.  It's pretty cheap entertainment, and guaranteed to make you feel even better about your favorite sport (if that's possible).

TW

#14 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 10:59 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

buddy wrote:

Funny,  I have some screen shots on my hard drive if someone could tell me how to post them here (I'm a newbie).

That would be up to the 'OL I.T. Wizard, -Wade Williams! (He knows all things I.T.)

Man... -speaking of the Wizard, I can hardly believe he hasn't already posted about a 1/2 dozen of the best aerial shots available already...big_smile (this kinda thing could probably even earn him the coveted 'Golden Mouse" award this year in Vegas'!!!)coolcoolcool

Board footer