Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Apr 5, 2009 2:39 AM

Boody38

Edge Change, need help....

I ski 34 mph and get into 38, but seldom run it.  One thing I see on the video is that my knees look like they are too relaxed, as the skis "bounces" through the edge change and finally settles down well into the preturn. 

Because of this, I have been keeping my knees flexed, but tight.  Somewhat helps.  But I was also playing around with pushing the ski in front of me, which resulted in no bounce, an earlier edge change and a better preturn because my ski was settled down.

But, I have been told by a pro during a lesson that I want the ski underneath me so the loads, then releases.  I was told to relax my knees to allow this to happen.  I must be missing something because this is what I do all the time and it doesn't work.

So, do I load as I approach the wakes, then push the ski in front of me behind the boat?  What the heck is the secret?

Thanks

#2 Sun, Apr 5, 2009 10:50 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Edge Change, need help....

Sounds Like the Perfect Scenario and opportunity for the PSC virtual coaching...???  hmm  (as, I can't really picture what is happening in my minds eye...)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Sun, Nov 1, 2009 7:28 PM

benji

Hi Body 38,
I once skied with a English pro, now lives in the States. This worked for me. On your glide for the gates, drive yours hips forward ( not upwards ) through knees and ankles. I know this is old style, but keep this pressure going till the exit gates. once of the second wake don't let your hips get behind you.  You need someone to watch you from the boat, because from my experience most people don't see the amount of pressure needed.
Benji,

#4 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 3:06 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

I am running the same lengths and I am struggling to get my edge change early.  When i watch the videos, the pros make their edge change right after the second wake.  I cannot seem to do this.  What can i do to get my ski out from under me earlier.  When i try to edge change early, i lose my outward momemtum.  Most of the time i end up make my edge change quickly right before the ball, which works fine at 32 off, but at 35 + it makes it almost impossible.

#5 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 3:54 PM

2gofaster

My ski partner has run 3 at 41 at 36mph. He is insistent that you have to have relaxed knees to be able to let the ski finish it's turn and then gain angle coming into the centerline.  And that if you do that, the edge change will happen on it's own and in the correct place. He says there's a difference between resisting the load with soft knees and pushing against the load. Is that correct? You got me. But it seems to work for him.

Shane Hill

#6 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 4:24 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

I would wonder if your are overloading the line (relatively speaking) and getting pulled narrow (again relatively speaking) through your edge change. I watch a skier like Terry Winter and that makes me think the ski bouncing is not necessarily the problem. Agree 100% with h20dawg, get some professional eyes on your skiing.

#7 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 11:51 PM

ChrisRossi

Boody38,
     I would say your handle is too high thus over loading your upper body.  This is the only reason that you would have bent knees.  Straight arms, low handle, straight legs.  This is what I shoot for.

Chris

#8 Thu, Apr 22, 2010 12:22 AM

ChrisRossi

Jamison,
     You can not make your edge change come earlier.  Edge change will be earlier if you can get your speed higher entering the wakes.  This means connecting to the boats pull in a better position from a wider place and being able to maintain position through the wakes.

Chris

#9 Thu, Apr 22, 2010 2:06 AM

MattP
Skis At: Searching

Thanks for the tips Chris! I will try this out next time im on the water!

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#10 Thu, Apr 22, 2010 12:15 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

ChrisRossi wrote:

Boody38,
     I would say your handle is too high thus over loading your upper body.  This is the only reason that you would have bent knees.  Straight arms, low handle, straight legs.  This is what I shoot for.

Chris

Ya, Chris Nailed it! I agree with this for myself. This was my little off-season Aah-Ha moment this winter. Last season I was having some simular issues as Jamisonsbroadie above, and I realized during the off-season that sometimes I had been coming into the Ball with plenty of time and then either reaching too soon and/or allowing the Handle to raise too soon after the second wake and thus losing my outbound momentum, going flat and then trying to Bang the corner at the last second. Not good at all! Especially if I happened to start this @ 1 Ball!yikes

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Thu, Apr 22, 2010 12:16 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#11 Thu, Apr 22, 2010 4:51 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

Chris,

Thanks for the tips.

FYI, i have been on a Sixam 1.1, and have a new RS-1 ready to go( have not skied it yet).  Do you think that I will gain some width from ball to ball?  Also, any tips on set up? It is a 68" and I am 6"0 200lbs and I will be using Approach bindings.

Board footer