Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Apr 2, 2009 2:26 PM

mdv

RTP question

I'm used to skiing with a RTP but need to replace the one I have.  I wear a size 8 shoe and therefore tried a Connelly size SMALL and couldn't even get my foot in it.  I tried a MEDIUM and that was much better but not as accommodating as my old RTP.  I really like to be able to jam my foot up in there.  So, does anyone have any idea if I should even try a LARGE?  Am I using the RTP incorrectly by having so much of my foot in there?  Any input is appreciated! 

-- Waiting for it to get warmer in MI!  -- cool

#2 Thu, Apr 2, 2009 3:12 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Re: RTP question

I think the whole point of a RTP is so that the skier can have the freedom to decide how much of their foot they want in it. For you I would think the medium will be fine if it is new and hasn't been stretched at all through having multiple sets on it. Perhaps a shoe horn would help make it a bit bigger for you? I think if you spend the money on a large then you probably won't feel enough especially when it stretches out since you like to have your foot "jammed up in there."  Having said that i'm assuming you like to have your foot so far in the toe plate because you feel it gives you more control. If thats the case have you thought of trying a rear boot?

#3 Thu, Apr 2, 2009 3:31 PM

mdv

I've considered a rear boot but here's why I haven't gotten one:  1) I can stand on the swim platform easily 2) I've known people who have gotten a new rear boot and not been able to ski at all until they got used to it, it seems like being so confined can cause issues.  Nothing obviously that can't be overcome but, I get limited sets a season and don't want to spend a lot of time just trying to adjust to a new set up.  It just seems so much more restraining and I've been able to do everything I need, at my level, with a RTP.  Possibly lame excuses but, enough that I haven't gotten a rear binding yet.

#4 Thu, Apr 2, 2009 8:42 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

Just go down to your local pro shop and try out a couple of different toe plates and see which one works the best for you if that is at all possible. If no pro shop then I think your only recourse would be ordering a toe plate with an adjustable strap.

#5 Fri, Apr 3, 2009 12:25 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

ColinBuchanan wrote:

I think the whole point of a RTP is so that the skier can have the freedom to decide how much of their foot they want in it.
  Having said that i'm assuming you like to have your foot so far in the toe plate because you feel it gives you more control. If thats the case have you thought of trying a rear boot?

Colin, Very Well put!!!  I agree 100%... I personally have used a Dbl. boot system since, -Well, lets just say; waaaay before "Hard shells"! I love the Power and Stability that I Feel it gives me... I like the solid connection to My ski. But, I also miss the ability to "Snap off shore" (Dock start...) and to be able to drag a foot during the Deep water start.sad

I have had at least 1 Very Hard fall due to my rear foot flying out of the RTP during a Very Hard "On Side" turn...yikes  I then Vowed to Never ski Hard without Dbl. Boots (bindings) ever again! ( Me and my Ribs are finally back on speaking terms again!) -ha,ha...big_smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Fri, Apr 3, 2009 9:24 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching

Mdv I had the same problem with my RTP I have a medium and it just felt to small and I could not get my foot in it where I wanted it to be so I unscrewed the overlay and gut out the foam foot pad and replaced it with grip tape. I can get my foot in farther now and with the grip tape my foot stays in better, also it allows you to have more control in my opinion.

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#7 Sat, Apr 4, 2009 2:50 AM

Knaflaj

I completely understand you reasons for not going to the double. I use a RTP myself and hate how constricting the double is. The way I can tell if i am getting my foot way up in the plate is if i can wiggle my big toe and just barely touch my front binding. I'd suggest putting your old one on and seeing how close you are to your front binding and then use that as a basis for trying new RTPs

#8 Sun, Apr 19, 2009 6:30 AM

mike55

mdv wrote:

I'm used to skiing with a RTP but need to replace the one I have.  I wear a size 8 shoe and therefore tried a Connelly size SMALL and couldn't even get my foot in it.  I tried a MEDIUM and that was much better but not as accommodating as my old RTP.  I really like to be able to jam my foot up in there.  So, does anyone have any idea if I should even try a LARGE?  Am I using the RTP incorrectly by having so much of my foot in there?  Any input is appreciated! 

-- Waiting for it to get warmer in MI!  -- cool

the toe plate dance is a critical one indeed. Kinda of like dancing with the stars, one false move and you're out of the comp:) I'm a tinkerer and have been dealing with the perfect toe plate setup and put together what I feel is the best for me to date. Suffice it to say that if you have a little wider dawg with maybe a higher instep to boot you can't saddle yourself in deep enough without causing pain or its just too small period. If you are like me the adjustable kind seem to lack the stiffer and more secure overlay. Ski manufacturers can be stubborn about rear hole patterns so to science out a plate that you love won't necessarily fit the stick you want to ride. For you my man I would suggest a standard size H.O. RTP and if the stirrup does not work as in too big get a universal plate from Wiley's (talk to Darren).  Mount a D3 size standard toe piece rubber and foot pad. You have to peel the bottom rubber piece off the D3 base plate (not the foot pad yet). This will also expose the 6 stirrup screws for removal. Once the rubber is removed then heat the bottom underside plate real good with a hair dryer. Peel the foot pad rubber from the rear forward. Hopefully you will have luck and all of the sticky back will remain in tact. Press the pad in the desired location on the universal plate considering how much toe overhang up front you want and how close to the front boot. Mount the 3 screws in refrence to where you want the instep rubber to posistion your foot...You could just buy a D3 from Seth and he'll probably give you a toe plate :-)
A bunch of alternatives exist to my above diatribe but one of those two size 'standard' RTP's (lrg in the D3) will give you the fit I think you are after. The Wiley universal plate will give you every concievable hole pattern  to go from ski to ski if you choose that route. Cheers from the Pac NW!

#9 Tue, Apr 21, 2009 5:07 AM

JAS

This is a custom carbon fiber footbed that I made and attached to my RTP. Gives excellent support and positions foot in same location every time. Not that hard to make if you have a little experience with fiberglass or composite.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/74_dsc_0287.jpg

JAS

Last edited by JAS (Tue, Apr 21, 2009 5:12 AM)

Board footer