Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Feb 24, 2009 11:32 PM

staks21

Power Vest

First of all this is a great site especially in the last leg of winter when I start to go nuts!  The topic is the power vest by Goode.  I was wondering what everyone thought of it and if it is even legal in tournaments?  It seems to me like it is almost cheating by displacing the pressure allowing you to not get tired.  In all sports fatigue is always a factor and it is those who handle fatigue (and the mental aspects that come with it) the best are that usually win.

Any thougts?  Anyone using the power vest?

#2 Wed, Feb 25, 2009 12:47 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Power Vest

At this point the power vest is tournament legal. Whether or not it stays that way is a matter of results.

In theory I think it is great, it is assisting skiers, both physically and technically.

In reality Goode doesn't offer a strong warranty.

Maybe some other folks out there have tried it personally and offer their thoughts.

#3 Mon, Mar 30, 2009 6:08 AM

slamit

I have been tournament skiing for nearly 25 years, and still love it.  My list of injuries sustained during those years is too long to describe in detail, but the major issue has been two lumbar disc surgeries, the last as recently as 2007, and then a cancer dignosis last year.  fortunately I am in remission, and looking forward to my first full season on the water in two years.  For myself, there is little doubt I could not continue to ski  without the powervest. 
Those who feel this is somehow cheating,  the vest does not make up for bad technique or poor physical conditioning.  What happens is the load placed on the mid and lower back is distributed to the hips, a major skeletal component.  In fact, my performance was decreased until I adapted my skiing to it's unique load distribution.  If you want to prove how tough you are, then I assure you years of skiing will beat you up like few things will.  So feel free to complain this is cheating.  Keep at it long enough and you too may think the powervest is a good choice.  I do not wish my injuries on anyone, but this sport WILL destroy your back over time.  Detractors of this vest would probably not ski without gloves, would they? Everybody uses a Carbon Fiber ski, is that cheating?  I bet you wouldn't want to give up your carbon fiber based slalom rocket for a 20 year old glass ski.  Does anybody complain when a skier shows up with a knee brace?  How about a pro football player who tapes his ankles? 
I am convinced the vest significantly decreases the risk of chronic low back injury, and plan on purchasing one for my 15 year old son as well, I don't want him suffering the same back problems I have had to endure.   This is innovation of our sport, and I am thankful this tool is available to me.

#4 Mon, Mar 30, 2009 2:43 PM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

My friend Jeff Milford loves his.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ee5596_K_g 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwyYVPs-_wg

Last edited by scotchipman (Mon, Mar 30, 2009 2:43 PM)

Scot Chipman

Board footer