Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Mar 29, 2009 4:17 PM

Brady
Foot Forward: Right

Ski issues!

Hey all, this is a great site - thanks so much for all of the great advice and information!  I've been free skiing for about 20 years now and my wife and I are just getting into the course.  I can usually run it at 15 off and 30 mph.  I was skiing on an ancient HO from 1988 and I decided to upgrade last year.  I found a great deal on a 2008 System 8 blem with double animals.  (I still haven't found the blem, but I think it's a tiny scratch on the top of the ski).   I'm 33 years old now and I'm 5'10" and about 175.  The ski is 68" and, after reading a lot about sizing, I think it's too big for me.  I only skied on it 20 times, so I'm not sure if it's just taking me some time to get used to or if the size is just too big.  It feels to big in the turns.  Money is a little tight right now and I'm trying to avoid buying a new ski, but I would if need be.  Is there anything I can do to make the ski feel smaller?  I moved the bindings forward a notch and I've read about fin adjustments, so I plan on making those adjustments once the weather improves and I can test out my changes.  I guess I'm wondering if I should try and sell the ski and get a new one, or try and make this work for me?  Thanks for any input!

#2 Sun, Mar 29, 2009 4:43 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Ski issues!

Bindings Forward
Fin forward

will both make the ski feel smaller,but...

Sell it on www.ski-it-again.com and opt into a 67. Probably don't have to loose any money on the deal. Just keep your eye open. I would suggest the 67 as the best fix.

#3 Mon, Mar 30, 2009 12:51 AM

Brady

Thanks guys!  I just posted the ski here and on skiitagain.com.  Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] with any questions.  I'm sure a new appropriate ski would be better for me.  A friend who is an avid skier suggested a D 3 Custom X and, if this sells, I'll try one from h2osmosis.  Thanks again for all the advice!  How do you feel about the Custom X for someone learing the course?

Last edited by Brady (Mon, Mar 30, 2009 1:02 AM)

#4 Mon, Mar 30, 2009 5:52 AM

Blair

i may be out of line saying this but a 68" System 8 would be too big for you if you were skiing at 36 MPH  but at 30 that extra inch may not be the worst thing in the world... it would help give you a little extra flotation...

i have worked in a pro shop going on 4 years now... and i would not say that is the wrong size for what your skiing... maybe some of the guys that are more informed can correct me... Wade am i totally off base by saying that?

also skiing at 30MPH a wide body ski may be something to look into... i am skiing at 30 as well and i am on an F1X...

#5 Mon, Mar 30, 2009 12:03 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Read and write reviews on the D3 Custom X Here: http://www.proskicoach.com/skis/D3/Custom X

With regard to the sizing, the easiest way to determine whether or not the ski fits properly is to ski with a pro.

Blair, you're completely correct that the 68 will work for someone Brady's size at 30MPH.

It depends on where you're going with it and how long you want to keep the ski.

If you're going to be bumping the boat speed up and you're going to be taking shots at 34 and 36 miles an hour, my instinct is that the 68 will be too big. So if you want to have something that will evolve with you the 67 is going to last you longer as far as the high end. I think it's good to have a ski that out skis you, rather than holds you back. You might be sinking a bit at 30... probably time to speed up the boat!

Personally I prefer wider skis for the less advanced skier, but again it's a question of where you're going to top out. If you don't plan on getting much faster than 32 miles an hour, a ski like the f1x would be great.

It's hard to make a custom recommendation without meeting you personally and skiing with you.

The original post was "I need a smaller ski" so my in-between-boat-sets reply was "get a smaller ski".

#6 Tue, Mar 31, 2009 12:24 AM

Brady

Thanks guys.  Man, I wish I was in-between boat sets right now!  Anyway, thanks for the advice -  I'll let you know how the adjustments go, but I think the F1X would have been a good way to go from the begining.  Thanks again guys!

Board footer