Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Mar 18, 2009 4:10 AM

slamit

RS-1 binding lace/heel lift

While in O-Town in January I stopped by Performance Ski and Surf and purchases the RS-1 bindings.  I have heat molded the lining, added a footbed between the shell and liner to take care of the screw mounting hump in the middle, and added a heel cup to take up some room in the heel area.
skied with it for the first time today, and it fits like a glove.  I noticed that there is a lot of movement between the shell and liner in the heel area, I can easily lift my heel up and out while standing on the dock.  When I crank down the upper lace it will almost all go away, but that means I compromise the release system, right?
I am confused about how tight to lace the upper lace, and what if anything can be done about the heel lift.  Strangely I did not notice the heel lift as an issue while skiing, just unusual in that all bindings I have had in the past lock the heel down.

#2 Wed, Mar 18, 2009 2:28 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: RS-1 binding lace/heel lift

I have the samr bindings and have never paid attention to heal lift. All i can say is moving from Animals to the RS1 is like a dream i absolutly love them. I have never released so i might be running them a little tight. Sorry if i didnt help answer your question.

MC

#3 Wed, Mar 18, 2009 3:05 PM

ChrisRossi

The only time your heel lifts while skiing is near the apex of the turn.  Slight heel lift near apex just makes the ski less sensitive to improper body movements.  Don't worry about the heel lifting on the platform if you don't notice it while skiing.

Chris

#4 Thu, Mar 19, 2009 4:23 AM

tjo

Chris, 

Slamit mentioned that he placed a footbed between the liner and the shell.  I haven't used my new RS-1's yet (or molded them yet) but was under the assumption I was supposed to place my orthotic insert inside the liner. 

Is there a recommended placement?  Where do you place yours?

Travis Ogden

#5 Thu, Mar 19, 2009 4:34 AM

slamit

The shell has a block molded in it where the screw insert is located.  I noticed the liner snags on it when putting it in the shell, and I could feel it under my foot.
I took a footbed out of an old tennis shoe and cut out the area in the footbed where the block would be located, then dropped it into the shell.
Makes putting the liner in easier and I don't feel it under foot anymore.

#6 Thu, Mar 19, 2009 2:47 PM

ChrisRossi

You can put in a hard/ flat plastic spacer to help with liner entry into the shell.  I would not use a footbed with heel cup for this application.  I do however recommend using an athletic footbed inside the liner.

Chris

Board footer