Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Mar 11, 2009 11:02 AM

bob_gbb
Foot Forward: Right

Skiing for over 40yrs - now not sure which is right foot

Thanks for checking out this post - I'm not sure I fit in with the crowd on this forum.  All I can say is I've been a moderately proficient recreational slalom skier for 40yrs or so.  No real courses, just home grown ones.  In those years I cant count the number of people I've taught to ski wink  So, hope someone doesn't mind me asking a question you might all know the answer to...

Which foot forward?  I know all about how to check dominance (like 20 different ways - best one I've seen recently is person 'splitting bike peddle to mid position, not up or down.  Dominant foot ends up forward - seems 100%).  What I didn't know is that someone might consider putting dominant foot back!

So, seems dominant foot back can help 'hook / kick / flick' a turn or something ???  For me, it has always been transitioning forward and edging for turn??  There is even a web site surveying 'foot forward' and it is tracking at about 50% right to 40% left (Since most people are right handed - what does this say about dominant foot back?)

Is it the case that pro slalom skiers now will always go dominant foot back?  Whats the deal? and does this change for speed ski, seems all to be dominant foot forward.

Hope someone out there can be bothered with an answer as I am still teaching stacks of my kids friends how to do this!

ps. I can ski both and on just about anything (or none) - just trying to get a bit of credibility here smile Thanks Bob (Australia).

#2 Wed, Mar 11, 2009 12:56 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Skiing for over 40yrs - now not sure which is right foot

"Wow" !!! This is gonna stir the pot!

As I've stated in other post's, For me and those who I have either taught or will teach in the future, -For slalom skiing I'm a fan of dominate (ball kicking foot) in rear. But, I also agree with  "Speed Skiers" having their dominate foot in front. But, 1st and foremost "Teach 'em to Have fun!!!

I doubt There is Any exact or definitively "Correct" answer to this question... But, my thoughts for a RIGHT handed/ RIGHT footed person are as follows;

You throw a ball off of your rear foot, the right leg & D/F. (Dominate foot) Now consider how much power is derived from the baseball pitchers D/F & Right leg or even the baseball batter and the same is true as well for the boxer throwing a powerful straight Right "knock out punch", or in football, the W/R lines up Right foot D/F in rear... Slalom is clearly NOT a tug of war contest. BUT, for power and More importantly BALANCE & STABILITYduring the Pull aspect, -with the dynamic being simular to the tug of war contest Personally, I would also have my Right leg in rear... ( there are many more great examples...)

WTS, the Baseball pitcher "FINISHES", just like the batter, the Bowler and the Slalom skier at the buoys, -and that is; "Balanced, Over the top of the left leg"... This fact in No Way makes the left leg a dominate leg. However, it clearly demonstrates the relationship and priority of each leg. (in those examples, one creates power and direction and the other balance & stability. This is also, in and of it's self  a perfect example of the necessary harmony and balance between body parts...)

I feel that anyone who ever played some of these basic sports would quite naturally benefit from the "Balance & Power" they have developed from these activities and Obviously would be at a great advantage over those who did not... But, There again, it is also fair to say; it can be done either way and done well, either way... (One size doesn't fit All!) Although, Personally I would never "encourage" someone starting out to LEARN how to Slalom with their D/F (right foot for a rt. hander.) forward and Therefore, abandon the  opportunity for the above stated natural advantages, which I feel then creates a further deficit on their  "Off Side" (Left) turn, by the use of their weaker arm (Left arm) as their reaching arm, during  their "Off Side" turn and thus creating the "Weakside / Offside" turn...( As opposed to having your stronger Rt. arm reaching on your Off Side turn and Off Setting this weakness...)

Some have had the serious misconception that a D/F in Rear creates a "Tail Turner", -unable to create good tip pressure, etc... In most cases, This could not be further from the truth. Especially for the avid Athlete who participated in some of the above type of sports. As this person is already far above average with their Power & Balancing abilities between their Lt. & Rt. Legs and not near as likely to depend heavily on their dominate leg or rear leg for all aspects of skiing...

Oddly enough I used to ride a skate board RFF! roll

O.K. folks, -"Let the Games begin"...big_smile  (or as Pat Benatar might say: "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"...yikes ha,ha...)

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Thu, Mar 12, 2009 12:27 AM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Wed, Mar 11, 2009 1:23 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Emma Sheers               LFF

Nickname : Em
Born :  4/28/75:
Residence : Sunshine Coast Queensland, Australia
Personal Best : Slalom - 4.5 @ 39off, Jump - 55.3m
Career Titles : 2 times IWSF Athlete of the Year,
2 time World Jump Champion,
2 times World Slalom Champion,
5 World Records,
78 Pro Victories:

Are you a lefty or righty, and which one has the advantage ?
Lefty- We have a huge advantage, if you are a righty I would change
immediately smile
http://proskiers.com/athletes/interview … er=007.asp

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Wed, Mar 11, 2009 5:23 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Wed, Mar 11, 2009 1:28 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Karina Nowlan              RFF

Born :  June 26, 1987
Home Town : Newcastle, Australia 
Personal Best : [email protected](39off)
Career Titles : 2008 Mastercraft Pro Tour Stop 2 Champion
2008 Mastercraft Pro Tour Stop 3 Champion
2008 French Malibu Open Champion
2008 Under 21 World Slalom Record

8 :
Lefty or Righty ?
Righty! Advantages and disadvantages... we could argue about that all day! smile

http://proskiers.com/athletes/interview … er=008.asp

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Wed, Mar 11, 2009 5:24 PM)

#5 Thu, Mar 12, 2009 6:47 AM

bob_gbb

Okay, after I pick my self up off floor from seeing who has commented on this... Let me stir the pot with some thoughts (albeit from a limited background - also my comments are kinda long).

1. The baseball and other 'throwing sport' analogy is incorrect - what is actually going on with the feet in these sports is to open the shoulders to rotation (like in a tennis serve where the dominant foot is also behind).  The foot position merely supports the upper body rotation for effective throwing. ie. It is efficient upper body throwing action that requires this foot position.

2. Power to the metal/water through the rear foot (in my view of others and myself), leads to inelegant transition through the turn by muscling the ski, rather than a graceful flow.  This seems to be what happens for rear foot driven skate/snow/surfboarding and seems 'rough' in a slalom turn instead of using the full camber of the ski. (As if I would know that smile - never boarded in my life!)

3. Right hand strength has merit in recovering from reach on the off side turn however.  (Cant you guys just beef up your left arm?)

4. All that aside, given that to learn to 'single ski' (note - not slalom here), you need the beginner to stand on one foot by most start methods, is there not more chance for success using the foot they could stand on 'blindfolded' - ie. there dominant foot.  (The tendency to prefer dominant foot forward when splitting pedals to a coasting position on a bike also illustrates this well I think.)

5. How recent is this slalom 'lefty' technique - has the training/instructor info at the recreational level caught up with this new fangled idea?

6. Does anyone still persevere with dominant foot forward despite the tail turn and reach strength issues?

Tongue in cheek on a lot of the above stuff, but still interested in your thoughts on how/why this all came about.

Bob.
ps. Assume in all above I am talking about right foot as dominant.

#6 Thu, Mar 12, 2009 2:29 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

From where I come from, D/F in rear is Not a New idea. In fact, I have skied during the very same Decades as you! As much as some might like to lump every D/F in rear skier into some form of a Stop & Go, "tail turner", that solely relies on their D/F to ski upon, I have to say I can usually spot a D/F forward recreational skier because their form is normally Horribly bent at the waist, hips down with a slumped back. (Very hard to overcome...) While Most D/F in Rear rec. skiers have almost perfect form immediately... ***Please read #13 below for my apolgy and more accurate discription of this!
1. [[The baseball and other 'throwing sport' analogy is incorrect...]]  -My above analogy depicts the Leg functions Only and their part in the "over all Power and/or Balance aspect" in the sport or movement... (No Legs, No hips =No Action... regardless of upper-body movement or rotation...)

2. [[Power to the metal/water through the rear foot (in my view of others and myself), leads to inelegant transition through the turn by muscling the ski, rather than a graceful flow...]]  -I AGREE... -That is where and why the value of the Left leg at the "FINISH" of the movement in the above stated examples are So Vitally important for the Slalom skier to efficiently use the ENTIRE SKI... (and its a Tremendous value that most have Already learned through other sports... -So why re-invent the wheel and put the D/F forward?)

3. [[Right hand strength has merit in recovering from reach on the off side turn however.  (Cant you guys just beef up your left arm?)]]  -ha,ha... Good question! (maybe Gov. Arnold can weigh in on this one!)

4.[[ All that aside, given that to learn to 'single ski' (note - not slalom here), you need the beginner to stand on one foot by most start methods, is there not more chance for success using the foot they could stand on 'blindfolded' - ie. there dominant foot.  (The tendency to prefer dominant foot forward when splitting pedals to a coasting position on a bike also illustrates this well I think.)]]  -IMO, This "blindfolded" leg could Just as Easily be the Left leg as in the above "FINISH" position example.. And all this Pedal test does is help identify the Dominate leg. But, has No value in determining its optimum placement (front or rear) on the ski...

As for new skiers, God Bless them! God Bless as many lefty's & Righty's as the lakes will hold!!! And since it can be done either way and done well either way,  at the end of the day, -Who Really cares what foot they have had forward all day at the lake, when they finally hit the hay  -exausted from Smiling all Day!!! big_smilelolcool

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sat, Mar 14, 2009 1:03 PM)

#7 Thu, Mar 12, 2009 8:49 PM

SethStisher
Foot Forward: Lefty

This was tossed back and forth a while back in a thread on this very same message board.  I have an opinion, but I am going to keep the largest part of that opinion out of this.  I will say this, to properly arrive at an accurate understanding, I think we all need to stop saying "dominant foot" and consider one foot the articulating foot and one foot the balance and power foot (or something like that).  Anyway, I am a lefty and I am right handed.  From playing other sports over the years in addition to waterskiing it is hard to say if my left and right foot tendencies were learned or innate, but the fact is my left foot/leg is stronger and my right foot is more articulate.  This is best demonstrated in the example you guys used of kicking a soccer ball.  I am not saying I am right or wrong foot forward, just saying that there are completely different types of demands on your legs in varying sports. 

Also, with respect to the comments about people who ski with their dominant foot forward being seen cruising around the lake hunched over, I think you might want to consider this as being coincedence.  Perhaps that skier looked the same when he/she learned to ski on two skis.  There is no way that there is enough evidence to support the theory that the hunched stance in a beginner is related to which foot forward they chose.

Additionally, skies are designed to be most efficient when your weight is spread between the balls of both feet, which due to the fact that we stand one foot in front of another, means that weight distribution would be over the front foot more than the back foot to ride a ski efficiently.  Now, don't get me wrong, I make no claims that "dominant foot" back skiers are stop and go skiers, but the fact is a ski pushes water when there is more weight back on the tail rather than riding the top of the water...doesn't make it wrong to have the dominant foot back, but does suggest that efficiency is increased when weight is more balanced over the top of the ski rather than the tail.

These thoughts are all without me even attempting to discuss it from the standpoint of relative rotation of the body as it relates to stance and power...that would raise another complete realm to this question...but it is important as well in my opinion.

Please note, that these are just my opinions and we all have one.  I feel pretty strongly about it, but I don't mean to say that I am close-minded to any other ideas relative to efficiency as it relates to which foot forward.  When you take the following into consideration:

-Which hand and foot are "dominate" relative to your nervous system design.
-Which foot articulates best
-Which foot has more power (and whether this is learned or innate)
-Which rotated stance gives you the most balance

...then I think you can arive at the best answer for yourself (or your student), but I don't think there is a wrong or right answer...but perhaps better or worse.

Just my thoughts...

Seth Stisher
The H2OZ Training Center and H2OPRoShop.com
www.h2osmosis.com

#8 Thu, Mar 12, 2009 8:51 PM

SethStisher
Foot Forward: Lefty

Oh, one more thing...I agree with h2odawg about skiers getting on the water...the more the merrier regardless of how they stand on their ski!  I love this sport...30 years into it even more than when I started!

#9 Fri, Mar 13, 2009 11:42 AM

bob_gbb

Thanks people, I have enjoyed the chat on a subject that I didnt realise was so much debated.  Will be nice if others put a view also. Sorry I missed the last time this was discussed.  I have some closing thoughts...   (All written from point of view of 'majority rules' handedness, ie Right Handed & Footed.  ps I am left handed by the way.)

1. Its interesting that we have so many ways of working out 'dominant foot' and then don't agree on what to do with it!

2. I repeat my assertion that throw stance is not indicative of a preference for left foot forward, rather splits the shoulders in favour of a right hand throw.  Of course once that's done, mechanics of amplifying the delivered power come into play by making the most of legs and hips.  How about a leg only example - 100m start - power leg (right) forward!

3. The methods alluded to in 1 above do determine the leg we are best at /or 'favour' as a single leg stance.  For this reason I conclude it is easiest to balance on one leg for a period during the stresses of a single ski start, if the ski is on the right foot.  From my observations, this is what is written in water-ski 'how to' texts.

4. Just to invoke a bit of 'Nah Nah!!', there is a web poll giving 5:4 in favour of Right FF. smile

5. I love the comment about being balanced on both feet on the ski.  (This is what I think dominant foot back makes it harder to do - but not impossible.)  Also, I dont see RFF beginners breaking forward - tell them to move their hips forward.  When I look at a LFF, they look like they are sideways on a surfboard.

All that being said...
6.  Just like Nadal who was made to take the hard road and learn to play tennis left handed because it now gives him an advantage in that sport, an elite slalom skier may benefit from things such as rear foot power and right hand reach recovery - but when do you decide to ditch the easy path (RFF), and move to LFF with a view to elite performance ???

I am obviously set in my ways.  tongue  Also, I am giving my opinion because that is what I wanted to test and evaluate - I'm happy.

I have skied for ages, my siblings ski, my and their kids ski, their friends ski, we have large skiing get togethers, skiing for us has and is a great family get together.  Only trouble with all these converts to the faith is not enough glass-water to go around (Its okay, I know a spot cool).

Been great chatting and I'll keep an eye on this post for awhile - but i'll try and refrain from adding to what already said - someone else can have a go.  Thanks again, great comments one and all.  Bob.

#10 Fri, Mar 13, 2009 2:03 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

bob_gbb wrote:

.  ps I am left handed by the way.)

Bob, I have to ask, if you are Left handed... -Is it safe to Assume you are also Left Footed? And therefore Left foot dominate? As I see your Avatar states that you are a Right foot forward skier.?

p.s. I am right handed & Legged, with LFF...

The word DOMINATE as I have written is defined; websters def: "to exercise control over; command; rule"...  Its Synonyms are; govern; control; direct; manage...

The word DOMINANT Websters def: i. Ruling; pre-dominant; Governing...  Its Synonyms are: prevalent; preponderant; predominate; predominant; paramount...

Yes, we also seem to have a dilemma on accurately distinguishing the "DOMINATE" or "DOMINANT" Foot/leg. As one leg may have more coordination and the other more strength... That is why I just use the Natural instinct method of the "Ball kicking foot". At least this method works for "Most" people as most people are the same Handed as they are footed/Legged and this then takes you back to my above examples of a Right handed; Pitcher, Batter, Bowler, Boxer and Slalom skier. (the exact opposite is also true for the LEFT Handed person as well...) Creating, or at least perpetuating the Total Balanced affect of both legs in action. (from the START of the movement "THROUGH" the "Transfering of the Bodt Wgt" into the  more important "FINISH" of the movement...) Hence, a total "Balance of pressure" on the Slalom ski, or being Totally Balanced and NOT favoring the front OR the rear Leg at all times...

Great Bunch of info. and thoughts so far, I Too hope more people might weigh in on this. As I feel too many people do Too many things without ever knowing why or even checking themselves and then sometimes carelessly pass it on to someone else.sad

Man I can't wait 'til Spring!smile

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Fri, Mar 13, 2009 2:33 PM)

#11 Fri, Mar 13, 2009 2:56 PM

tjo

Interesting statistic from bob_gbb: "there is a web poll giving 5:4 in favour of Right FF"

I wonder if Wade or someone else administering this website, can provide us the statistics on members of PSC?  That information has already been collected from most of us when we signed up...would be interesting to see the percentages if you don't mind sharing...

Travis Ogden

#12 Fri, Mar 13, 2009 4:59 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

Here we go, my two cents.
I'm left handed person. I kick the ball with my left foot, throw a ball with my left hand and a LFF on my ski, wakeboard and trick ski, even thou when I learned these sports I was RFF! These days I can go either way on my wakeboard or trick ski but not on the slalom ski.
When I do my one foots barefooting, it's so much easier standing on my right foot. I would think my left foot would be the stronger since I'm left handed but is not, I can totally tell which foot do go forward when I want to do my best.
Same at the gym doing one leg squats, etc.
My hubby is right handed and LFF.
As for not seing RFF bending at the waist and LFF skiing sideways, that's pretty interesting (funny) comment.
I see beginners RFF and LFF bending at the waist, that's just the way it is until they learn the proper stance on the ski, handle control, etc..
No matter if you're water or snow skiing we're always looking for the perfect (balance) stance on your skis.

#13 Sat, Mar 14, 2009 12:40 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

tjo wrote:

Interesting statistic from bob_gbb: "there is a web poll giving 5:4 in favour of Right FF"

I wonder if Wade or someone else administering this website, can provide us the statistics on members of PSC?  That information has already been collected from most of us when we signed up...would be interesting to see the percentages if you don't mind sharing...

This could be interesting and relevant if; we could also determine their D/F!  And we can't even seem to accurately identify what that is! -ha,ha! (Imo, Left or Right forward is an irrelevant fact or stat without regards to the D/F...)

Ahh, Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, Wait a second, I think I have an thought............ ...............................Yep! I have a thought!  -"I think Left or Right forward is a useless stat, even when you know what the D/F is"!!! lol

* * * Also, I may have written an unfair and inaccurate description of  "SOME" of the D/F forward rec. skiers. Unfair because I surely did not mean ALL of them and "horribly bent" just sounds mean and Judge-mental... This was Not my intention and For this I APOLOGIZE...

Upon further review, the Basis for the "Forward bend" I was elluding to is normally predicated by the Slightly but, Almost continuous bend in the front knee, (with the head and shoulders in front of hips, creating the break at the waist...) which apparently is slightly or marginally bent because they are So dependent upon their dominate Leg, (in front) that they are unable to comfortably "Stand Up Tall" and balanced on the ski and this creates their Fundamentally challenged form.
This is something that I began to notice over 30 yrs. ago and I have confirmed my suspicions on many occasions by talking to the Skiers themselves. Some had skied for yrs. this way, So its Not just newbies that have trouble with this. For some course skiers (not the pro's!) this same lack of "Balance" on the ski, also lends itself or translates into the propensity for OTF falls and this was the "Horrible" I was actually trying to convey... In contrast, I've watched Countless ( Not All!) Newbie Skiers with their D/F in rear be able to "Stand Up Tall" ("Hips up") and have incredible form by Sunday! (their 2nd day!)  -Maybe not Right or Wrong, That's Just been my experience...

Snow, -I believe "IF" I could barefoot on 1 foot, I would absolutely use my Left foot and not my D/F!!! (ya,  ahh,  -but I'll have to get back to ya on that one, ya big show off!!!) smile -ha,ha...

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sat, Mar 14, 2009 1:10 PM)

#14 Sat, Mar 14, 2009 2:01 PM

bob_gbb

Okay, so I said I wasn’t saying any more – I can’t resist.

Firstly, forget what I said about starts in a running race.  And forget what I said about rear foot looking like a surfing stance (cheap shot).  So some of the above is ‘rubbish’; I know this cause I’ve been ‘reading up’ and now understand all this stuff, (trust me).

What we’ve been talking about has its foundation in lateralization of motor and sensory control.  (Hemispheres in the brain.)  In 90% of people, motor control is effected in the left brain hemisphere which is responsible for modulation of the right side of the body.  Reaction times for this side (right) of the body, are shorter than that of the opposite side, due to neural lag associated with the interhemispheric transfer time required for left side motor initiation.  (Reverse this situation for left body preference.)

What the above is saying is that left brained and right handed/footed people have better reaction times and motor control on the right side of their body.

In 9 out 10 cases, a right handed person is also right footed.  In only 7 out of 10 cases is this true for left hand & foot correlation.

The following comes from “Side Bias: A Neuropsychological Perspective”.  Chapter 10. “Examining the Notion of Foot Dominance”.

In bilateral activity (both legs/feet), one foot has the role of posture stabilization, and the other object manipulation or lead out.  In this bilateral context, the mobilizing limb should be considered preferred and dominant.  Unilateral tasks (hop on one leg), are less useful in exhibiting foot preference or dominance.  Bilateral activity provides the accepted definition of foot preference; that being that the mobilizing or manipulating limb is dominant, with the other providing postural support being non-dominant.

So much for the science - need to re-post for what it means in skiing.  (This post is ridiculously long sad)

#15 Sat, Mar 14, 2009 2:04 PM

bob_gbb

if I may continue...

Having read the literature, I have formed the following conclusions.
In a bilateral activity, the most responsive (dominant) foot will be reserved for complex motor activity, with the non-dominant foot providing postural support.  HOWEVER, in a unilateral task, an individual will swap feet and chose to use their dominant foot for support, if the support task being undertaken is a complex one.

Therefore, in water skiing…
Consider a step start (a bilateral activity).  A high degree of motor control is anticipated with regard to the front foot.  To this end, a person will show a preference for, and perform better by placing their dominant foot in the front binding.

The case may be less clear for slalom skiing.  If one argues that the turn is effected from the rear of the ski, then perhaps the dominant foot should be back with postural stability being provided by the front foot.  However, if (as in my case) you consider that the emphasis to be transferred to the front foot when effecting your turn, and that this places responsibility for complex motor control functions on the front foot, then clearly this should be the dominant foot forward.

Despite the possibility for debate with regard to effecting a slalom turn, when it comes to a beginner controlling a ski in preparation for landing their foot in the rear binding, surely this has to require dominant foot forward, exercising rapid and complex motor control.

You know my favourite ‘split peddle’ technique on a bike for determining dominance.  I am now even more in favour of this, as I think it relates well to balancing on a single ski.  As the bike is slowed, and the rider attempts to balance, they show a preference for controlling this activity with their dominant foot split to the forward position, (just as is the case on single ski).

Cool stuff hey…

#16 Sun, Mar 15, 2009 2:03 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Bob,
I absolutely respect your reasoning and have enjoyed participating in dispelling as much crap as We possibly can! Your latest info. is quite interesting and note worthy.  I thank you (and anyone else who steps up) for your valued comments. As Most will Not touch this topic with a 10 ft. pole! (Maybe we should loan out a couple extra feet of ours! -we seem to have pole to spare!) -ha,ha...

With All  "Assumptions" concerning water skiing and its Exact relationship to either the uni or bi-lateral movements aside, When I consider the less impressive tried and trued, method of relativity, provided by the "Hands on Approach"... I am as convinced as ever, that the person who  Already has developed great Bi-lateral technique through innate or"Natural instincts" (i.e. -kicking a ball,etc.) and is then further complemented with the fluid velocity of Mass (transferring/balancing center of mass from leg to leg)  via common Bi-lateral activities such as: Throwing, Batting, Golfing, Bowling, etc... and with respect to foot placement, Are actually  hindering (Not Halting...) their progression and abilities by Arbitrarily switching their default, predominate foot positioning based on  Inspiration or Assumption of Reason-ability. And therefore, kind of needlessly re-inventing their own Athletic wheel... (seems very silly and counter-intuitive! -but, it is do'able.)

Anyone who has ever been a Bowler (Not necessarily someone who has only bowled a little...) can relate to the Enormous Demand for strength and Especially the Stability / Balance that is placed upon their "sub- dominate," Non Ball kicking Slide Leg at the foul line. They can also relate to how a person (like, me...) could also have Most Excellent results in meeting the demands of skiing with their sub-dominate Slide foot Forward on the Ski...(exactly what Seth was eluding to...) It's almost like having 2 dominate legs! That's 2 good legs to stand on! -or Ski on... Creating a more efficient, masterfully balanced bi-lateral ski machine!  And That's yet another way  I spell;  "Balanced Stance" or "Optimum foot placement for dummy's! -ha,ha! (just kidding!) big_smile -seriously just kidding!

I agree with the Notion and the Rationale that certainly "Might lead" someone to place a beginners (ball kicking) D/F Forward. On the surface, this reasoning  does "Sound" plausible. But, I must also consider that this Notion is only a Rationalized Conclusion.  And that, being largely or solely based upon the "speaking" or the "hearing" individuals preexisting knowledge, experience (or lack of...) and Therefore can only be viewed as an Opinion... ( As with some of My Reasoning as well!)  There are certainly pros this theory, but I feel, these are out weighed by a laundry list of cons. Therefore, armed with the few beneficial examples which I have previously illustrated, and their predominance in other bi-lateral sporting activities, etc.. whether learned or innate, they are continually reinforced through participation and will continue to be... Thus, I personally, would not "encourage" a beginner to start off nor end this way...(Notice I say "Encourage"?  -I would Not forbid it either.)

I'll assume, that Bob & I are a couple of "Old Goats" that are fairly set in our ways. But, my objective here has Less to do with trying to Change Bob or anyone else and More to do with helping to solidify what one might already know (me included...) or to help solidify what some are trying to learn or understand about this topic irregardless of whether they agree with me or Bob. As they are or will be the Captains of there own Vessels and will ultimately make their own Decisions as to how to best help "Their" new skiers anyway...(a huge responsibility!)  I think bob & I are actually on the very same team with some of the very same objectives and destination. (Priority- "The Next Generation of Skiers"...) We just differ Slightly with our paths on how to get there!  -The bible says; "As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another"...  Thanx Bob!smile

P.S. Bob, I have to ask, if you are Left handed... -Is it safe to Assume you are also Left Footed? And therefore Left foot dominate? As I see your Avatar states that you are a Right foot forward skier.?

#17 Mon, Mar 16, 2009 1:40 PM

bob_gbb

Thankyou for your input.  Nice chatting about this.

Couple of points in closing this topic.

There should be no doubt that a persons dominant foot is that used for skilled tasks such as kicking a ball or picking up a pebble.  (The other non-dominant foot provides postural stability and supports the dominant foot as it effects action.)

In my mind, the common practice of asking a skier to alternately raise one ski to test preferred single ski foot, will in the majority of cases promote the use of the dominant foot as the more comfortable and preferred front foot on a single ski.  This will also assist with control whilst dropping a ski, and later with deep water and step starts.

Some people have developed a preference for increased control associated with the rear of the ski and ski dominant foot back.  (I am not sure of the % split on this but still suggest that it is more common to have the dominant foot forward.)  (Obviously performance at the highest level can be reached taking either approach however.)

Also with regard to which is more common, is anyone aware of instructional 'how to' ski texts which advocate anything other than "Put your dominant foot forward".  My recollection is to have only seen this advice, albeit that I have not checked recently (in the last 10 years)?

On a personal note, yes I also am very set in my ways.  Yes I am left handed but am one of the rare cases where my preferred foot represents cross dominance.  I definitely kick a ball with my right foot.  (I write left handed but play most sports right handed.  I have seen reference to the fact that ambidexterity is associated with high IQ.wink)

Cheers all, now all I need is some wider and brief comment support position A or B just for ongoing interest. Bob. 
(h20dawg79 - thanks for taking the time to indulge me in our ongoing chat.)

#18 Fri, Mar 20, 2009 12:39 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

As I Looked back upon this entire Thread, I thought to myself; -"The one thing that is rather evident here is our inherent quest for knowledge. Illuminating both our need  for it as well as our use of  this great gift... This gift (knowledge) comes without instructions. But, somehow seems to carry with it as much useful Value and as it does responsibility... The value of Good Relevant info. is obviously priceless but, how do we separate that from something that might only be the perception of truth or unfounded opinion? And what about the burden of responsibility that is placed square upon our shoulders when we choose to share our good relevant info. or unknowingly share our perceived value as though it were fact?

I came to these conclusions;  -With regards to all lefties, righties, myself and anyone in general;  "It is not enough to merely "know something," and even Less to only "perceive it"... Truth eludes those who allow it... (having the "Knowledge of" but, grossly lacking in Definitive facts or details...) The "Status Quo" hinders progression by way of  Blinders. But, "Ignorance" can outright stifle it. Columbus calmly sailed Against the "Status Quo" as well as the "Ignorance" in all the "How to Books"  - Also written by the "So called Experts"  of his time... (Experts???)  And what about Herb O'Brien? -How many times has he set sailed (or skied ) into the face of the Status Quo, "Nay-Sayers" and then dreamed up how many innovations that the other "so called experts" could then only copy???

"Ignorant" -is not quite the insulting word that most might "perceive" it to be.  i.e. -"You are so ignorant"!.. (sounds Demeaning, as if one is dumb or stupid.) "Ignorant" web.'s Def; 1. -Being void of the facts! (Simply not being informed!) One can actually have a high IQ and still be ignorant and yet, not be Stupid... Wasn't "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" (perceived to be) The Baddest man in the whole damn town? Wasn't he just a might "Ignorant of the fact" that there is always someone a little badder? And then found out for himself  -The Hard way? How about the word "HUM-BUG" ? How many of us share in the Misconception that it has something to do with Santa Claus and/or Grumpy with a Lacking of the cheery Christmas spirit??? (that's Not even remotely close!) "Hum-bug" Web.'s def; 1.-a hoax, (in the movie, he was simply saying: -"Ahh, Santa is a Hoax"!) 2.spirit of deception or falseness. 3. an impostor...

Maybe the best we can do is Stop and THINK. And maybe Try to better Understand the things that we some how "Think (or assume) we know" and God help us to Not just Know the things we only "Perceive" to know and then Carelessly pass them on to others. ( Especially true for those of us who are an "Authority figure" and/or have some kind of title to stand behind or live up to...)  "Integrity, can take a life time to achieve. But, can be Lost in a single Moment".  -Hmmm...

Maybe spending as much time talking about what "We do Know" as we do Considering that in-which we "don't know" would be a Good start... I must therefore, consider #1 the ill effects or damage of my ignorance if I were to foolishly pass it on to others... #2 Remember, sooner or later as Mr. Brown found out, there's always someone around to help hold us accountable for our words and actions! #3 and Most importantly; -Never bring a knife to a Gun battle!   -ha,ha...

#19 Fri, Mar 20, 2009 10:26 PM

snow1122

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/4557_barefooting.jpg
See mommy no hands..........

#20 Fri, Mar 20, 2009 10:31 PM

snow1122

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/4557_barefooting-ruth.jpg
Calm glass water in Portland, OR-Sunrise.

Board footer