Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Feb 27, 2009 8:13 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Perfect Pass Stargazer

Does anyone on this forum have experience slalom skiing with the Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake edition?  I'm upgrading my ski centurion direct drive with perfect pass and trying to figure out if it's worth the extra money to buy the Stargazer 3-event.  As far as I can read, it appears the only difference is the magentic sensors.  Since ZO does not make a model for the Centurion I'm stuck with PP.  Originally, I was going to just purchase the paddle wheel PP system.  But then I decided I should spend the extra money for the GPS based system.  The GPS 3-event system is even more money but at my level of skiing I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.  I'm curious as to your opinion(s).

I'm just a weekend warrior skiing the course at 34mph and deep into 28 off.  However, most of my skiing/boating is with the family in open water (Lake Powell), pulling the kids on wakeboards, skis, barefoot, etc...   Am I going to be happy with the Stargazer Wake Edition??

Travis Ogden

#2 Fri, Feb 27, 2009 11:47 PM

onamission
Skis At: Middle Straits Lake

Re: Perfect Pass Stargazer

If your running 34 at 28 off in a course your not a weekend warrior by any means, your a great skier.  StarGazer is the only way to go.  I don't even see PP offering anything other then the GPS system on the web page.

Good people drink good beer

#3 Sat, Feb 28, 2009 6:31 PM

tjo

Has anyone on here skiied the course with the Stargazer Wake Edition (not the Star Gazer 3-event)?  If so, were you disappointed, satisfied...??

Thanks.

Travis Ogden

#4 Sun, Mar 1, 2009 2:39 PM

JP

dont waste your money on star gazer IMO. One of the boats i ski on a lot got the upgrade this year and it was nothing but issues. We ended up running the boat in PP classic mode because we could not get it to run consistent for 2 back to back passes.

#5 Sun, Mar 1, 2009 6:22 PM

tjo

Interesting.  Not the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate your candor.

Travis Ogden

#6 Sun, Mar 1, 2009 9:09 PM

ScotChipman

Travis,

I have used Perfect Pass for years and now have PP Star Gazer in my '08 Response. Star Gazer works great and also has the classic version built in. None of the past or current wakeboard versions of PP will work very well for slalom, the slalom pull in the 3 event version is very different.

Scot Chipman

#7 Sun, Mar 1, 2009 10:06 PM

onamission
Skis At: Middle Straits Lake

I've had PP for the past 8 years.  With the SG upgrade last year skiing and boarding was a lot easier without having to make setting changes other then mode and speed.  The initial set-up and calibration was easy.  Only problem with getting consistent runs was taken care of after changing the Pre Gate, Ball 1 and Ball 3 settings.  Remember last year was the first year for and a number of software changes has been made to inprove the pull.

Good people drink good beer

#8 Mon, Mar 2, 2009 2:47 PM

JP

tjo wrote:

I shouldnt say that its all bad because it does feel like a good pull when the system is working correctly but it seems to be very tempermental.

#9 Mon, Mar 2, 2009 6:54 PM

tjo

Guys,

Thanks for all of the advice and experience.  I'm going to bite the bullet and get the stargazer 3-event system!   Just one more thing to make me hungry for spring...smile

Travis Ogden

#10 Thu, Apr 30, 2009 1:36 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

JP wrote:

tjo wrote:

I shouldnt say that its all bad because it does feel like a good pull when the system is working correctly but it seems to be very tempermental.

What, my SG system tempermental?!? wink

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#11 Thu, Apr 30, 2009 3:53 AM

2gofaster

SG has worked great for us. It sure is nice to get 16.93 to 16.95 every single pass with no intervention. This spring we've had only 1 day to ski with winds that were not sustained 10mph with 20mph gusts. I found that the more wind we had the closer the SG held the tolerances.

Shane Hill

#12 Sat, May 2, 2009 2:06 PM

tjo

Installed the SG 3-event a couple of weeks ago.  I'm not much of a mechanic, but the step by step procedures make it really a pretty simple job to do yourself.  After setting the baseline calibration, my times are now near perfect.  Like 2gofaster, my times yesterday were at 16.95 on the money several times and within .05 on all the others.  Very happy with the PP SG.

Travis Ogden

#13 Tue, May 5, 2009 3:28 PM

jz

Colin/Chris,
Had a great time last week.  Curious what I was skiing as far as the speed control.  I assume it was ZO, but was curious if you have standard settings you use unless a skier asks for something specific.  I was skiing 34 at 28.  Maybe Chris remembers the settings.
I do not get much time behind ZO except for tournaments, but whatever settings Chris was using felt good.  Thanks.

#14 Tue, May 5, 2009 6:00 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

That just goes to show that speed control is only as important as you think it is :-)

#15 Tue, Jul 21, 2009 2:11 AM

t8skier
Skis At: Collierville Ski Club, Tn

What will be the effect when changing the Kx to + or ++? The manual does not address this much.  I would like to feel more behind the boat and more release.   Has anyone tried changing the buoy 1, or first segment setting to a lower value with a Kx ++?

#16 Tue, Jul 21, 2009 2:40 AM

2gofaster

kx is throttle response. + or ++ responds quicker to a pull down in rpm. Meaning, it will feel stiffer. Your pregate, 1 ball , and 3 ball settings are used to get balanced times in the course and have nothing to do with KX.

Shane Hill

#17 Thu, Jul 23, 2009 1:19 AM

jetlife

I installed Stargazer in my 06 mc197. I love it. Sometimes it does not capture the speed.  Any suggestions?

#18 Mon, Sep 21, 2009 10:26 PM

CamRon

PP is the best thing ever to happen to Waterskiing.  I have never had a problem with a StarGazer system, the system seems to have no flaws and gives the perfect pull IMO...  Times are often exactly down to the 100th of a second. 

-jetlife - although you dont have to, sometimes its good to dis-engage the current speed around the turn but I have only ever experienced one occasion in a 2004 Moomba Outback where that was nessecary...

[Tactic Media] [Slow Motion Ski Edits Dropping Summer 2010]

Board footer