Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Feb 24, 2009 6:50 PM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio
Foot Forward: Left

Rear boot placement on Sequence plate

On the Sequence plate for the rear boot, there are 6 holes on the plate you can mount the boot to. 

It would seem holes 3 & 4 would be the most common distances back from the front binding.  Which one do you use? 

I used #4 on my RS-1's and I'm thinking of starting out on #3 (closer to the front) with the Rails.

Time to ski!

#2 Tue, Feb 24, 2009 10:40 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Rear boot placement on Sequence plate

I run my boots as close together as possible.

#3 Wed, Feb 25, 2009 12:26 AM

ScarletArrow

Thanks!

Would you recommend the same for a 15off level skier?

What is the effect on the skier having them closer together or further apart?

Time to ski!

#4 Sat, Feb 28, 2009 7:23 PM

h2oski

I'm curious, you had RS-1's and are switching to Rails.  Why are you switching?  I've been looking for new boots and have slipped the RS-1's and Rails on my foot and thought the Rails were more comfortable.  Have you skied on both, how do they compare?

#5 Tue, Mar 3, 2009 1:07 AM

ScarletArrow

Well my story is that I switched from Wiley's to RS-1's mid-season last year...I was looking for something more comfortable and lighter.  After the switch, my performance steadily dropped as the summer progressed.  I'm sure it's me and my lack of technique b/c I'm a beginning level skier.

The RS-1's quite frankly, are awesome in their comfort, control, design and construction.  But they really exposed my weakness as a skier and I took some massive falls.  My sense is that they might be too advanced for my level.

The RS-1 are canted forward some, so you need to have good ankle flex (I do not) and are very detailed in their control feel.

I just skied several sets this past weekend on the Rails and there is some good and bad.

Good - more comfortable and lighter than Wiley's; same solid design and construction, not canted forward.   Bad - bulky "moonboot" type feel, lack of sizing options, laces have little effect on tightness.

The Rails are probably best suited for a mid-level ski - e.g. Senate, Theory, etc.

Time to ski!

#6 Tue, Mar 3, 2009 9:17 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

"Moon Boot" -Thats funny!lol

I had to laugh when I read that, cause I have a pair and they are very "Marsh-mellowish"! I have yet to try them or my RS-1's so, all I can report on performance is that they sure look "Comfy" and have not caused me any trouble thus far!!! smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Wed, Mar 4, 2009 3:58 PM

h2oski

So when you say the Rails seem "Marsh-mellowish" are you saying that they lack firmness or that your foot would move around in them?  Almost sounds like a pair of well-worn rubber boots, which is what I have now.  Are the Rails "soapless" when you put them on?

#8 Sat, Apr 11, 2009 10:52 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

h2oski wrote:

So when you say the Rails seem "Marsh-mellowish" are you saying that they lack firmness or that your foot would move around in them?  Almost sounds like a pair of well-worn rubber boots, which is what I have now.  Are the Rails "soapless" when you put them on?

H2oski, Sorry i didn't reply sooner!!! (I didn't see your post...)

"Marsh-Mellow'ish' is because they Look kinda like something the Michelin Man might have on his Ski!lol I still have Not been on them yet.sadsadsad But, I think they'll probably be just fine on my Radar "Theory". While my RS-1's should do the trick on my other ski's...

I will report back to this post  (sometime in June.) after a very thorough Trial period on both pairs... cool

P.S. They fit very tight but are still very comfortable. But, that may well depend on the skiers foot size. As, the rails that I have are a Large 7-11 and my foot is an 11... I can put them on w/out soap, but I don't think I'll be able to put them on in the water w/out a swim step...

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sat, Apr 11, 2009 11:03 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#9 Sun, Apr 12, 2009 4:18 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Chris,

I took my new RS-1's out last week and they are awesome!  Very comfortable and easy to get used to.  Per your recommendation, I mounted the rear boot in the same placement (as measured from the tail of the ski) as my old setup (HO Approach), and then put the front boot right up next to the rear.  My question is this...do you have the rear and/or front boot mounted at any sort of angle?  I've historically been on rubbers so I've never had the option of mounting one or both at an angle.  As I've thought about it, it seems like you would want the front boot mounted straight on, but the rear boot perhaps at a more freindly angle. 

I'm new to these types of options with boot setup so just wondering what the recommendation is from anyone...as straight as possible, or angled out a bit?

Thanks.

Travis Ogden

#10 Wed, Jun 3, 2009 11:20 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

h20dawg79 wrote:

h2oski wrote:

H2oski, Sorry i didn't reply sooner!!! (I didn't see your post...)

"Marsh-Mellow'ish' is because they Look kinda like something the Michelin Man might have on his Ski!lol I still have Not been on them yet.sadsadsad But, I think they'll probably be just fine on my Radar "Theory". While my RS-1's should do the trick on my other ski's...

I will report back to this post  (sometime in June.) after a very thorough Trial period on both pairs... cool

P.S. They fit very tight but are still very comfortable. But, that may well depend on the skiers foot size. As, the rails that I have are a Large 7-11 and my foot is an 11... I can put them on w/out soap, but I don't think I'll be able to put them on in the water w/out a swim step...

Well, its June and I have tested the Michelin Man boots and the RS-1's...

I found the Rails to be very cushy & comfy. Definitely easy on the feet! and they do not sacrifice response with all the fluff and padding... However, I actually like the "Feel" of my RS1's better. They fit like custom made shoes and I think my feet would prefer to stay in them all day! They are very responsive WITHOUT the pain and discomfort associated with some of the typical Hard, tight or cramped bindings... I do Not have any issues with ankle pain, heel lift or lack of tip pressure that some have reported. I really think these bindings lend themselves to skiing lighter and less physical, creating efficiency and a smoother more fluid and productive style. -Which is for me a huge plus!

My only issue is the release buttons on the laces. The buttons are ridiculously small and near impossible to find (or feel) in the water after your set with gloves on... I do hope they change to a more Manly grip-ble size for my "Grappling Hooks"...  -Help me, Oh RADAR Wizard!!!

No report to date on the "Release" factor... ( maybe these Babies are so good you'll never fall hard? ) wink

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Wed, Jun 3, 2009 11:23 AM)

Board footer