Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Feb 20, 2009 5:44 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Draft Bindings Release Ability

I ski a 2007 F1 with Double Draft Bindings.  I have had some good wipeouts but never released from these bindings.  I sinch them fairly tight so that is part of the problem but do other people actually come out of these bindings?  I have read the threads about the pros and cons of releasing or staying in and the general consensus seems to be that coming out is probably preferred.  That being said, I have had some nasty falls and never come close to hurting a knee or ankle with these bindings not releasing.  Don't know if I am just lucky or this is the best option for me.  The Double Front Flip with ski still on does feel a little strange but no worse for wear. 

Still snowing here in Alberta and went ice skating yesterday on my lake so it will be a while before I am on the water.  Can't wait to visit my Brother in Texas in May to warm up and get on the water.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#2 Fri, Feb 20, 2009 6:01 PM

JP

Re: Draft Bindings Release Ability

What you are saying is the main reason that many people (myself included) have gone away from rubber bindings. You tighten them so that you can have the most control but then when you fall you significantly decrease the chance of a release The most important thing about bad falls is either both feet need to stay in or both need to release. Personally i use Fogman bindings because there is almost no maintenance to do on them and when you do release both feet stay together so you dont have to worry about kicking yourself with a shell. I know a lot of people are really liking the new RADAR bindings. I have yet to try them but the whole idea of a liner release scares me because i wouldnt want just one foot to come out.

My point is that rubber bindings depending on how they are used are not going to release well if at all.

#3 Fri, Feb 20, 2009 7:17 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

It's definitely possible to make them release.

I think the majority of slalom ankle injuries result from crashes that are "impact" falls, where the ski gets jammed under the feet. The force of the fall directs the skiers weight to the feet, and if you're falling into / onto your feet (the ski), you're not going to release from any boot. "Compression" falls are the ones with the injuries.

That being said, I have heard mixed experiences with the Drafts. People seem to release from them pretty safely, granted, I understand that looking at the design it is hard to envision it happening.

If you are really concerned about the safety issue, get off of them. It will be better for your skiing if you are confident in your set up.

#4 Sat, Feb 21, 2009 2:42 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

Man is that a nasty fall, OUCH!!! I think I've been known to do one like that but never got it caught on camera. The commentary, "...GET OVER THERE..." is classic.

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#5 Sat, Feb 21, 2009 4:47 AM

AndersonSkiTeam

Thanks for the replies.  Nice to hear from others experience and someone with direct ties to Connely.  I think I am going to stick with the Drafts for a while longer.  I actually love the feel of them and getting them off and on is nice.  Prior to the drafts I used to spend half my energy getting my bindings off and on and now it is a easy and comfortable. 

After doing some more research I read stories of guys describing injuries like Wade mentioned with hardshells as well so I will stick with what I have.  I grew up as a free skier and hardly ever had a bad wipeout after the initial learning phase as I learned when to let go. Now that I am hitting the course I find the safety switch turns off in my head and I push a little harder for that next ball or try reaching for one hoping for the miracle.

With the harder wipeouts, my weekend warrior status, and age injuries do start to concern me.  Took a friend off the water this year with a broken ankle(binding broke and one foot released and other did not) and he still is not 100%.

#6 Sat, Feb 21, 2009 1:33 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

How about looking into "Customizing" your set up with a G-10 plate & Drafts combined for a (almost) gauranteed 2 foot release?

This would be a Custom set up that would take some time to get the release factors to properly operate together. (i.e. the drafts holding, while the plate releases)  ***But, I don't see why it couldn't be done...

*** O.K. now I've put a Big "Bullseye" on my back!!! ha,ha...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Sat, Feb 21, 2009 4:36 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Customizing with the G10 plate is a good (no pun intended) idea.  I had a similar thought as my brother just picked up an A1 and is going with the powershells system for bindings.  I wanted to see how he likes the release system in general before I contemplated the idea seriously with my drafts.   A less expensive option if I like the feel of my drafts.  Anyone else try this?

#8 Tue, Feb 24, 2009 8:17 PM

Keith

I ski with drafts as well and have never come out.  Like most skiers I have had my fair share of brutal crashes that are followed with commentary by my seven-year old to the tune of "Dad...You went over and over and over and then skipped forever.  It was so cool!"  Knock on wood, but no injuries just yet.

Last edited by Keith (Tue, Feb 24, 2009 8:18 PM)

#9 Tue, Mar 3, 2009 5:35 AM

mcwaker1

i have a 07 f1 with the double drafts and used it for two seasons. I never released from the binding completely, i had a few bad fall where i would half release which led to some pretty ugly ankle injuries. Also at a collegiate tournament this fall two girls in a row busted their ankles wearing the drafts. I just purchased a pair of goode powershells and will be trying them this week but its definitely a much safer route to release off the ski like the powershells and other hard shells offer

#10 Tue, Mar 3, 2009 7:34 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

mcwaker=-

Sorry to hear about your injuries and the ones at the college tournament.

For others out there, I would not strongly recommend the drafts if you're not a 28 off skier -- they will be safer if you have a strong stance on your ski already.

Personally I've busted ankles in my fogman boots, but that was operator error :-)

With your powershells, be meticulous about the interlock. It should hold up for a season or more, but when your plate is off of the ski, check both the plate and the ski for any loose interloc. If it is peeling up, it needs to be replaced.

... As a side note... would it be worth our time to add a NCWSA section to the message board?

#11 Wed, Mar 4, 2009 6:51 PM

mcwaker1

wade,

I think adding a NCWSA section would be a great addition!  I know alot of people on my team here at Michigan State use this site and it is a great tool.  I know that if you do make a section i will for sure spread the word and it will be a great resource!

#12 Wed, Mar 25, 2009 4:38 AM

Blair

For others out there, I would not strongly recommend the drafts if you're not a 28 off skier -- they will be safer if you have a strong stance on your ski already.

wade what do you mean by that comment???

when i picked up my first ski 2 years ago i put double drafts on it... my concept with double drafts took me from my first few times getting up... through 15 off in the course... this season i am picking up an F1X and planning on putting double drafts on it again...

#13 Thu, Mar 26, 2009 2:58 PM

cdwladr

I've had some releasability problems with my Drafts as well.  Last spring I suffered an avulsion fracture of my left calcaneus (achilles ripped off part of my heel bone).  So, I'm a little leary about getting back on them this spring.  I am curious about the Goode Power Plate though http://www.goode.com/waterskipp.htm.  I like the Drafts and this would allow me to still use them and potentially increase the chances that I will release.  Any thoughts?

#14 Thu, Mar 26, 2009 6:05 PM

mcwaker1

that would deffinately allow you to release if mounted with the velcro and everything properly. A guy on my team has double approach boots which he mounted on to a power plate also. He took the plates off the bindings and mounted to boot directly to the power plate to reduce the weight.

#15 Thu, Mar 26, 2009 7:52 PM

cdwladr

My fall was a compression type fall, as Wade mentioned earlier, which would definitely make a difference.  There have been plenty of opportunities for me to come out of the Drafts, but I never have.  Having said that, I'm fairly certain that I won't in the future.  So, maybe the PowerPlate setup will work.

#16 Thu, Mar 26, 2009 7:53 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Blair -

If you're using the drafts and they work great and are comfortable, then by all means keep using them.

The comment that I made was just to say that if you are not well-balanced between your feet the drafts may not be the best thing for you in the event of a fall. Learning how to ski well includes learning how to fall well. The less experienced you are, the harder the fall you'll take and the higher probability of injury, regardless of equipment. The only time that I have hurt myself skiing is when i'm skiing above my real ability level - trying to make things happen that I shouldn't try to make happen. (already lost the pass, tried to force turns around balls that were un-turnable = injury) If you ski balanced & in control all the time, you won't have any issues with injury.

#17 Thu, Mar 26, 2009 11:58 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.

WadeWilliams wrote:

Blair -

The comment that I made was just to say that if you are not well-balanced between your feet the drafts may not be the best thing for you in the event of a fall. .

WHICH FOOT DO YOU HAVE FORWARD?

(Just kidding!)  -ha,ha...lol big_smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#18 Tue, Apr 7, 2009 2:31 PM

Andyb

Has anyone tried the new connelly enzo boot ? How does it compare to the draft ? I see that it is lower, will this help the release ?

#19 Wed, Apr 8, 2009 5:44 AM

Blair

ok... good to know... i have been a wakeboarder for over 15 years... and just recently gotten hooked on to this fad they call slalom skiing... i have taken more than my fair share of falls ... adn although i would say wakeboard falls are alot harder than most ski falls... going OTF is not fun... although i have never came out of my drafts i like that feeling of security knowing what the ski will do...

Board footer