Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Feb 19, 2009 2:15 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

Shoulder Injury - Labral Tear (aka Slap Tear)

It is official, mid October took a hard fall around 2 ball in cold chilly water. Was totally extended and was still holding on, but my ski was buried. Started to feel better then fell off a ladder down the stairs while working on a home improvement project. Could have been out of one of Tim Allen's finest episodes.

So doc said it is a "Slap Tear", same thing that tennis players and baseball pictures get injured all the time. Allows that overhand motion.

So been going to tons of PT to get the "frozen shoulder" loosened up with arthroscopic surgery scheduled for March 10th. Then 2wks of immobility and 3 months of PT. Not looking good for this season?!?

Anyone else with a tear like this or know of someone who has gotten it done?!?

So hence being "off the radar" for awhile now, just been burying myself in work, keepin' the economy hummin'.

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#2 Thu, Feb 19, 2009 2:23 PM

PFG
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Shoulder Injury - Labral Tear (aka Slap Tear)

SLAP = Superior Labral Anterior to Posterior, presumably MRI diagnosed. Fortunately arthroscopic repairs have come a long way and there are many experienced and skilled orthopaedic surgeons. If you have been referred to a surgeon performing ~ 300-500 arthroscopic shoulder procedures annually (preferably >400), averaging ~1.5-2 hours/procedure, then you will likely be in good hands (although there are other means by which to measure skill & experience, e.g., local/regional reputation). Ask & seek the best. You’ll be rippin’ by August hopefully. Good luck!

Last edited by PFG (Thu, Feb 19, 2009 2:31 PM)

#3 Thu, Feb 19, 2009 5:31 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Great info, PFG. Heal up Scott, that's one really rough "fall season" for you!

#4 Sat, Feb 21, 2009 2:02 AM

BuoyChaser

yah, enough falls for me for a lifetime, the ladder move was just stupid...you think i'd learn, someday make enough $$$ to hire someone to do it next time...

thanks for the great tips PFG, can't say my dock is doing 4+ shoulder surgeries a day, but he has come highly recommended...

not a fun one, been in PT since mid December after the shoulder froze right up immediately, now paying the price to keep it loose until cut day...

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#5 Sat, Feb 21, 2009 5:16 PM

LeonJones

I had a similiar injury. Ripped the Supraspinatious (sp?) tendon totally away from the bone. The surgeon was unable to reattach. He said the tendon was like shredded wet paper towel. They trimmed up the tendon and cleaned up the joint. Lots of PT, but three months later, I was having the best season of my still young carrear.
Best advise is get a Doctor who specializes in this type of surgery, does lots of them, and then be very committed to your PT. You'll be fine!

#6 Fri, Apr 24, 2009 12:41 AM

BuoyChaser

In the clear from doc, 1 more week of therapy and might even try out the wing on Sunday!!! Great news, no suture material or hardware.

Board footer