Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Feb 17, 2009 6:09 AM

utahslalom
Skis At: Mantua Reservoir
Foot Forward: Right

How to Adjust My Fin

I just got my new 67" Senate-C today. I'm 6'4", 180 lbs., and I've been on a 68" System 8. I've been working on my 30 mph pass (15 off) but I can get 3 or 4 balls at 32 mph. I'm trying to get my new ski ready for this spring and I'm planning to set my fin at 6.85, 2.495, 0.82, 8 degrees - based on Rossi's recommended settings, but I have never adjusted a fin before. I took my ski to a local pro shop to try and get some help, but no one there knew how do do it and no one had calipers.

I have a set of calipers, but before I do it myself, I just want to make sure that I do it correctly. I've read Rossi's article on "definitive fin measuring" and I think I understand how to measure everything, but I have no idea how to make the adjustments. Are there any steps I need to take or is there a specific order that each setting should be done? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by utahslalom (Tue, Feb 17, 2009 6:14 AM)

#2 Tue, Feb 17, 2009 11:28 AM

ChrisRossi

Re: How to Adjust My Fin

Skylar,
     That's a good question.  I would start by measuring the fin dimensions as they are now.  This will give you some experience.  Go ahead and measure your System 8 fin as well.  Then if your settings are not real close to my numbers, go ahead and loosen all three screws on the side of your fin block.  Get your depth setting close by using the rear of the two adjuster screws on the top of your fin block.  If you need the fin to be deeper, turn the screw clockwise or visa versa for a shallower fin.  When ever you turn one of the adjusting screws counterclockwise you will need to physically push the fin to get the change to happen.  Once you get the depth setting close, move on to the DFT setting.  This is done by turning the adjuster screw on the back of the fin block closest to the tail of the ski and not on the top.  This is a tough setting to measure so take your time and get it as close as you can.  Once you have the DFT setting where you want, move on to the Length measurement.  This is changed with the front adjuster screw on the top of the fin block. 

Now that you have the numbers close, go back and check the depth.  It will have changed if you made changes to the other settings.  Get this setting close again and move along to the DFT setting.  Once this is where you want, tighten the rear clamping screw on the side of your fin block.  Go back and check both your depth and DFT after tightening to double check that it hasn't changed.  If it has, loosen it and make adjustments until you have it right.  Then move on to the final stage which is to check your Length measurement.  Make changes as necessary and then tighten the front two clamping crews on the side of your fin block.  Now that all three screws are tight, take your final fin measurements. 

If you need to only change one setting on your fin, here is a quick guide to which clamping screws you need to loosen to make the change. 

Depth- loosen the rear and middle clamping screws on the fin block.  By leaving the front screw tight, you will not lose your length or dft.

Length- Loosen the front and middle clamping screws on the fin block and leave the rear screw tight.

DFT- you must loosen all 3 clamping screws.

Another important note is that when I say loosen the clamping screw, I mean break the screw loose but keep it slightly snug.  Once the screw pops, there is usually no reason to loosen it more.

Also, you should have wing angle gauges in order to put your wing back on at the appropriate angle.  If you do not have this tool, I would recommend tracing the outline of the wing on the fin blade with a pencil so that you can put it on close to where you want.

Have patience when adjusting.  When I first started, it would take me close to an hour set up a fin.  Even now, I have had instances where its taken me almost that much time.  Enjoy the process!

#3 Tue, Feb 17, 2009 1:36 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

If you do not have Wing angle Templates, you can cut your own out of Masonite or 1/8" paneling with an Elec. Mitre Saw... I made mine approx: 6" long and they will just set right under the Wing and support it a the desired angle while you retighten the set screws..cool

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Tue, Feb 17, 2009 2:25 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

More on adjusting your fin, including pictures at http://www.proskicoach.com/gear/fin_measurement/

#5 Tue, Feb 17, 2009 4:52 PM

utahslalom

Have I ever mentioned how much I love this website? Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

-Skylar

Last edited by utahslalom (Tue, Feb 17, 2009 4:52 PM)

#6 Wed, Feb 18, 2009 5:23 AM

utahslalom

Well, I busted out the calipers and it turns out that they're 6" calipers. I'm going to go out and buy some 8" calipers but I noticed that the "fin measurement" article says I'll need an 8" dial  caliper. Is there any reason not to use a digital caliper? This may be a dumb question but I just want to make sure. Thanks for all your help!

#7 Wed, Feb 18, 2009 7:48 PM

ScotChipman

Skylar,

I use digital calipers and they work fine with a charged battery. I have gone to use my calipers a few times with a dead battery, they must turn on in my ski bag. I now take the battery out after each use.

Where do you ski in Utah?

Scot Chipman

#8 Fri, Feb 20, 2009 7:24 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

More about skiing in Utah with Scot Chipman here:
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewto … 2171#p2171

The battery is the only downside to the digital caliper. Seems like it always turns on in the case like Scot mentioned. Works great until u need it and dont have a battery :-)

#9 Mon, Sep 14, 2009 8:06 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

scotchipman wrote:

Skylar,

I use digital calipers and they work fine with a charged battery. I have gone to use my calipers a few times with a dead battery, they must turn on in my ski bag. I now take the battery out after each use.

Taking them out is probably the best thing. But, if they are like the new set I just got, you can tighten the "set" screw at the top and as long as the jaws cannot move after you turn it off they wont come back on automatically unless you actually hit the "on" button...
( mine come on "automatically" as soon as the jaws move.)wink

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Mon, Sep 14, 2009 11:08 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Nice tip Lee. Just watch out for your caliper getting bumped around and that "on" button getting pressed by the case. I think that's what always happened to my digi-cal

#11 Tue, Feb 23, 2010 12:02 AM

t8skier
Skis At: Collierville Ski Club, Tn

Measuring the dft.  The tail of the ski is angled. Is factory settings from the fin to the bottom or top of the tail? On my ski there is a .07 difference.

Board footer