Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Feb 4, 2009 11:27 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

New Bindings Advice

I'm considering switching to some new bindings.  Right now I'm on HO Approach bindings, but I just purchased a new ski and am considering changing up the bindings as well to either the RS-1's or Fogmans.  I've never tried either of them, so before I pull the trigger on a purchase can anyone tell me their experience, good or bad, with these bindings?  If it helps, I ski through 22' at 34 mph consistently and can get 3 or 4 balls at 28'.   At my level of skiing, are either one of those options too much for me to handle?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Travis Ogden

#2 Thu, Feb 5, 2009 3:19 AM

JP

Re: New Bindings Advice

Both of those systems are great bindings. Personally I am running fogmans but I would not suggest them to anyone unless i see them ski in person. With the fogmans it is a much more responsive transition of energy from your feet to the ski. When i skied on them for the first time coming from my approach i found out about movements that i had no idea that i was doing. So somebody who is very consistent in their body position over the ski will have good success with them after they get use to them. I like the RS-1 bindings alot too. The biggest reason that i do not own them is because the thought of a liner release scares me. With the fogmans, if one foot releases both feet release. With the RS-1 bindings you have to pray that both feet will release. Either way both are really exceptional binding systems and it all comes down to preference.

#3 Thu, Feb 5, 2009 3:59 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

I just recently started using Fogman bindings just because of the comfort level, the responsiveness of the ski, and the release capabilities.  I have talked with more than a few skiers who have told me that the RS-1 binding system has a painful break-in period that can last for most of a season and even after still cause cramping in the feet after 6-8 passes. I'm not saying one is better than the other but i'm happy riding Fogman and have no intention of changing.

Colin Buchanan

#4 Thu, Feb 5, 2009 3:14 PM

ChrisRossi

The RS1 boot was designed specifically for waterskiing.  It combines an extremely rigid base with a slightly more pliable upper cuff, offering the best combination of power and forgiveness.  The main downside to Hardshell boot systems is that they are too responsive and punish the skier for mistakes in body movement.  We all make mistakes and need to find the best boot systems that compliment our skiing style.  For me right now, the RS1 system is the best I've found.

#5 Thu, Feb 5, 2009 5:06 PM

tjo

Guys, thanks for sharing your experience/preference.  Both options sound like good ones.  My biggest hangup with the Fogmans is having to drill new holes in my new ski.  If they don't work for me, I don't like the thought of having those new holes in the ski.  Am I correct in my assumption about how these are mounted?  The RS-1's go in the existing D3 holes, right?  I'll be looking at the RS-1's hard at the Utah Boat Show this weekend!

Travis Ogden

#6 Fri, Feb 6, 2009 3:58 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

You've got it, got to drill holes in the skis. I know a few skiers with fogmans on d3s without too much trouble. I wouldn't recommend fogmans on the radar, the screws don't have much material to bite into.

The rs1 boots have a universal plate. More on the rs1 boots

#7 Fri, Feb 6, 2009 12:24 PM

JP

Drilling into a new ski is definetly an experience that sucks the first time. After the first time its really not that bad. I do agree with Wade about not drilling into a Radar. I drilled into mine and it held with no problem but the difference between drilling into my F1 and RS-1 was significant.

#8 Sat, Feb 7, 2009 4:51 PM

ChrisRossi

Travis,
     Great to see you at the show and good luck with your new RS1's!  Let me know if you need any help with them when the ice melts!

#9 Sun, Feb 8, 2009 5:35 AM

tjo

Chris,

It was killer to meet you last night!  I never would have thought that I could have been trying on RS-1's while peppering you with questions.  When I got home and told my kids who I had met they were asking me where the autograph was tongue  Maybe next time...

Anyway, I played around with the boots some more at home...they are super comfy!  As good as the powder was today on the slopes, I can't wait for the ice to melt. big_smile

Travis Ogden

#10 Tue, Mar 24, 2009 4:53 AM

Blair

instead of starting a new thread, i hope you guys dont mind if i add a question into this one...

backstory:  I have wakeboarded for 15 years, 3 summers ago i was having a bad day on the board, my neighbour convinced me to try skiing.  this lead to me peeling the price tag off of the 15 year old combo ski's

within 2 hours i was down at his place trying to get up on his ski with double boots.  3rd pull i was up on his monza.

fast forward to the next spring i picked up a Connelly Concept with double draft boots.  at the end of last season (2 seasons of skiing) i had gotten my 15 off pass at 28mph.  i had also put more than 100 - 150 passes through the course last summer alone (4 month summer if were lucky up here)

i tried a connelly F1X at the end of last season and loved it... i picked up 3 balls in one weekend on the ski.  I have a 67" F1X on order for this spring, i have not decided on bindings yet.

Initally i was looking at reflex hardshells but have ruled them out for myself.  i am now tossing up between Drafts from connelly or the RS-1's 

i am 5'11", 170-175lbs, RFF, my goals for this season are initally 15 off at 30MPH, and 22 off at 28MPH

does anyone have any insight on which of these two would be a better way to go?

i have skiied with drafts for 2 years and really like them, although i havent tried much else in the way of bindings.  i did try HO Approach bindings and did not like them, found there was too much forward lean.

thanks in advance for any opinions.
Blair

#11 Tue, Mar 24, 2009 12:31 PM

2gofaster

Blair, I've used both the Drafts and the RS1s. I've been on the RS1s since last May.  With the Drafts, I felt like I was in a snow ski boot, as if my foot was locked to the ski.  I think that has to do with how the heel pads close in around the achilles. For me, they were just too restrictive. When I skied the RS1s for the first time, I promptly went out and and tried to turn around 1 ball and just kept going straight.  lol. It took about 3 full sets for me to warm up to them.  What I found as the summer went on was that the looser I ran them, the better they felt and performed.  I ended up tying a knot in the bungy just inside of where the pull tab is to keep me from pulling the pull tab off of the end of the bungies. This now allows me to just loop the bungies over the hooks without pulling them tight. The knot keeps the perfect tension on the bungies, which for me is barely snug.

Shane Hill

#12 Tue, Mar 24, 2009 6:32 PM

Blair

2go... thanks... i think that is what i liked about my last pair of drafts... i am a snow skier and have those boots locked down super tight when i do ski (so much so that i have to undo the buckles on the chair lifts to keep from cutting off circulation) i did enjoy how responsive the drafts were, and the snow ski boot idea is what had me htinking hardshelss... i think i will try to demo a set of RS-1's and see what i think. i think ill put the order in for the drafts though...

Board footer