Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jan 14, 2009 4:42 AM

UrbanWilderness
Foot Forward: Left

First stick purchace

I don't want to sound like a broken record on this forum, but I'm a first time buyer, and not to familiar with the new technologies; I was hoping to get some feed back form some of you veterans out there on ski size/style/and manufacturer(s). So i'm an athletic 6'/185-195lbs 24y/o. I would classify my style as a semi-aggressive open water rider, hoping to start the transition to buoy's; however, I don't always have the privilege of being pulled by folks' Comp. ski boat, so more often then not, I'm riding behind anything that'll pull me outa the water, and get up to speed! (hey, when you're 24, you can't be picky!).  I started out years ago on an over sized (wide ride) HO. I got really good with it, but It got old fast as it was way slower than I wanted to go, and became real sloppy when I ran more aggressive turns, and higher speeds.  Then I tried out my dad's old (late 80's) 68" double-boot Kidder. I loved it. It produces the speed and aggression that I am looking for. I also spend a good amount of time (only because of availability) on a buddy's old, again prob. 80's, slalom half of combo O'Brien's. I can only guess that it's a 67"- 69"...but, I can still rip on it. Other than that I use whatever stick is available. It's time to purchase one of my own...
1. Looking for a ski that will ride nicely anywhere from 30 - 34 mph
2. A ski that I can rip on any time, but one that will preform when I progress to the slalom course and shot line
3. I have no technical training/critiques in slalom posture. (i'm guessing I am going to need a somewhat forgiving ski)
4. I also need to know what size might suit my style best. I am really not sure what the pro's and con's of shorter versus longer ski's are
- Right now I'm leaning towards Radar line-up. I'm torn between the Senate and Theory. I like the theory's description, except for the "wide ride" part.  As stated before, I out grew (and definitely out rode) the wide HO. Since it can't challenge me anymore, I don't like skiing on it! I don't want to buy a new ski/boots, and have to upgrade in a year or two!
Sorry for the length of the question. Thanks in advance for the feed back.

#2 Wed, Jan 14, 2009 2:54 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: First stick purchace

ALASKA? what? ALASKA? Is your ski season even long enough for a 67" ski??? ha,ha!!!

Imo, keep looking, asking and reading until you are comfortable with all that you have seen, read or heard about a particular ski, Then either try the "ride before you buy" program offered by h2osmosis or call every (RADAR) dealer listed on their dealer pg. and shop prices... (if you don't mind a brand new last years model or a factory blem you can also save a ton of (gas) $$$ buying one of these...)
Also, I can say from my personal experience; if you begin to seriously take on the course you will be wasting your $$$ on a "Super Whamo" High End Ski. I'm not suggesting you stay on a "Big Easy" or anthing. But, if you want the most "Bang For Your Buck" I will suggest looking at the Connelly FX-1, H.O. Triumph, O'Brian Synchro, Radar Senate or Theory... (I bought the theory, for slowing down and grooving, its not too wide and the senate is even narrower ...But, I also have 3 higher end ski's that are absolutely useless under 32mph.) Also, Jhuges has a nice review
write up on (www.fifteenoff.com)
Always stick with each manufactures length guidelines for your body wgt. and ski speed...

"May Global Warming EXTEND Your ski season enough to put a real hurtin' on the course this yr."!!!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Wed, Jan 14, 2009 3:34 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

I would recommend a 67 Radar Senate or Senate C.  This ski will do it all and you will look forward to every ride on it!  It's fast, turns tight but predictable turns, and can ski at speeds of 30-34mph.  I have run 39 off on this ski at 34mph so I'm confident you will have success in the course on this stick. 

Chris

#4 Thu, Jan 15, 2009 5:55 AM

UrbanWilderness

Thanks for the quick response guys. As you can guess, I'm not in a big rush to buy a ski, since even the ocean is already freezing up here! Now as you can guess, the season for water sports is short here in AK, and the availability of a decent ski boat is scarce. Being a seasonal skier, would a longer ski (ie. 69") be a better option? Also,I've been reading up a bit on these new-aged "wide ride" ski's as I mentioned previously. Trying to compare the different brands of performance ski's with one another (online) I really can't determine which ski's are similar, category wise...For example: I know the Theory and Triumph are similar in shape and performance, but which model(s) of Connelley or O'brien fall into that group? (The same road blocks appear with my research on the senate series)...any thought's or further resources out there?
-J

#5 Thu, Jan 15, 2009 2:36 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

As far as the Theory/ Triumph performance goes, the Theory is speed rated 26 to 32 mph. While the Triumph is 32-34... The Theory is more versatile. But, not rated for speeds above 32mph...

Your body wgt. vs. the manufactures recommendations = proper length...   Are you generally closer to 185lbs. or 195lbs.???  I.E. -the 67" Theory /185lbs. Max. & 69" is 175- 225lbs. and the Senate 67"/ 190lbs. max. & 69" 180- 220lbs.

I think a good choice would be the ski that will give you and "your objectives" the most BANG for your Buck and will take you to your NEXT level... (as opposed to a ski thats very expensive, not very versatile and may not be able to get you to your next level, because the ski's abilities and design may "begin" beyond your "next" level..)

I also Like the versatility of the Radar Bindings via the "Sequence plate" -Unlimited binding adjustment and will fit all modern ski's... (switch from ski to ski or sale the ski and keep the bindings for the new ski...)

I have No personal  experience comparing the above mentioned ski's side by side in the h2o...( Your budget and personal objectives will surely eliminate a couple.)

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Thu, Jan 15, 2009 3:49 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Thu, Jan 15, 2009 3:15 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

If you weigh 185 and are 6 feet tall, a 67 is going to fit a lot better than a 69... Especially if it is a wider model that already has extra surface area. A bigger ski won't loose speed as fast as a smaller one, and colder water already skis fast. The theory is not THAT wide.

If you can get to a pro shop to check out the models in person that would be a good start... Or if you have some time during the long night that is winter to escape the great white north, there is still space available at SkiTek this spring. We can get you on each of the skis you want to try and you can pick which works the best for you.

Where in alaska are you? Can we see your lake on google?

#7 Fri, Jan 16, 2009 1:36 AM

UrbanWilderness

Good tips guy's! Well, currently I am living in Kotzebue, AK (30 mi. North of the arctic circle). The vast majority of boats here are river and fishing boats. When I ride up here, I take a trip out to one of the smaller villages where I can free ski on the Kobuk River. I also spend  time in the Anchorage/Wasilla area skiing on the Nancy, Big, and Wasilla Lakes. (I'm able to ski behind actual lake/ski boats there.)
Wade, you mentioned SkiTek in your reply, and that reminded me... I am currently looking for a good, year-round ski club or school that I could get involved with. My work schedule allows me to have 1 to 2 weeks off each month, and I am hoping to capitalize on that time each month by gettin' on a lake! (I'm actually headed down to FL to warm up this week!). Thanks again

#8 Fri, Jan 16, 2009 8:00 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

Urban where are you going to be in Florida? Wade wont be back for a couple weeks but if you are looking for a set and are around the Orlando area stop by SkiTek and i'll be happy to pull you! We are in a bit of a cold spell as our high temp today was 65 but the water is right around there as well and definetely ski worthy.

Colin Buchanan

#9 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 1:26 AM

andys89

urban, i had been looking for a stick like yourself and my advice would be to call the ski pro shops... like wileys, performance ski, or h2o.  their prices on the net were higher than what they are selling now.  i know wileys has a demo 67" senate c for a killer price (as of 8/8).  i ended up getting the theory because i dont plan on doing any course work and ski relatively slow (28-30).

Last edited by andys89 (Wed, Aug 12, 2009 1:32 AM)

#10 Mon, Sep 21, 2009 3:54 AM

UrbanWilderness

Thank's again folks for all your help. I decided to go with Radar. I recently purchased the 67" Senate C, on Wileys double 'pro Series'. I have skied on it a few times now, and love it! It is a fast ski, but stable. It turns tight, but seems to be forgiving. I hope to learn a lot about my potential with this ski! Again, Thank you so much for your time and support...

#11 Mon, Sep 21, 2009 5:31 PM

Thomas Wayne

edit

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Mon, Oct 5, 2009 8:30 PM)

#12 Mon, Sep 21, 2009 8:02 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph

i agree the Senate C is a beast of a ski!!! very forgiving

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#13 Mon, Sep 21, 2009 10:23 PM

patmaster

Chris, congrats for the win! Can you disclose what, if any, modifications you made on your front binding?

Board footer