Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Feb 28, 2008 5:13 AM

utahslalom
Skis At: Mantua Reservoir
Foot Forward: Right

Wake Crossing on Bigger Wakes

This ski season my goal is to prepare for the buoy course, however the buoy courses in Utah are limited, and the boat I ski behind is my Dad's Cobalt 220 (22'). What are some tips or habits I need to gain to maximize my potential behind a bigger wake and on the open water? It seems whenever I hold my edge into the wake, I lose control. Any help would be great.... THANKS

P.S. Chris, I talked to you about this a little bit at the Utah Boat Show. And thanks for the autograph :-)

#2 Fri, Feb 29, 2008 1:56 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Wake Crossing on Bigger Wakes

UTAH-

Running the course is fun, but you're honestly going to be much better prepared after spending plenty of time practicing on open water. The Tige 20i at SkiTek also is a larger boat with a larger froth-pile behind it, and I think it's great to train behind because if you can master your position behind the larger wakes, the boats you typically see at the tournament sceene just feel easier!

If you haven't read http://www.proskicoach.com/articles/sustainable_angle, do that.

Believe it or not, you are loosing control because you are trying too hard to hold your edge into the wake. You can hold more "angle" when not trying to hold an edge, at all... because... there is spray coming off the side of your ski... so you are sliding... so you really cant hold that edge THAT hard against a boat much stronger than you are... right? Just realx and stay balanced. As long as your free skiing, no one is counting how many turns you're making. If you can master smooth skiing with good rhythm, it will be easy to progress to the next level.

#3 Fri, Feb 29, 2008 2:33 AM

utahslalom

Wade,
I just got a copy of "slash" and must say...you're the man. Anyways, I just read that article. It's starting to make since. I'm sure I'll have to read that article several more times and do a lot of practicing before I fully understand. But for now, you're saying that even behind the Cobalt, I need to work toward a sharper angle? or is that not right??

#4 Fri, Feb 29, 2008 2:35 AM

utahslalom

oh... and what do you mean by "wakeboard pop" in that article?

#5 Fri, Feb 29, 2008 4:51 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

For where your at right now, it will be hard for you to try to acheive greater angle without loading the rope. So don't worry about how much angle/direction/lean that you have, focus more on keeping the arms straight and skiing relaxed and balanced. If you can do that the angle will come with practice. Trying to get more angle than you are physically/technique-wise ready to obtain = wakeboard pop

Wakeboard Pop:
Popping off the wakes / catching air / being bounced / getting thrown out of position when you hit the wakes. Feeling as if you were wakeboarding and catching air off the wakes.

#6 Fri, Feb 29, 2008 5:35 AM

utahslalom

Ok. That definatly gives me some things to work on. I'm beginning to understand what you mean. As the season progresses I'll let you know how things are going. I really appreciate your help... I'm loving this website already!

#7 Mon, Mar 3, 2008 3:11 PM

ChrisRossi

Utahslalom,
     I hope you are already starting to pick up info that will be useful for your upcoming season.  It was a pleasure to meet you at the boat show and I hope to run into you sometime on the lakes of Utah! 

Chris

Board footer