Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Sep 29, 2007 4:35 PM

tb

68" MPD help

I just got a 68" MPD and mounted my Animals up on it and I am struggling a bit.   I am coming off a GOODE 9700, setup pretty much stock.   I'm a 35 off, few @ 38 skier (34 mph, 210 lbs).   

Where do I start with the bindings and fin?

I had the bindings nuetral (29 7/8) and the fin at .79, 6.850 tips, 2.50 and felt like I got little angle out of my offside.  The onside is not bad but might have a slight hesitation at the conclusion of the turn.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 Sun, Sep 30, 2007 2:35 AM

Ed Obermeier

Re: 68" MPD help

FWIW.  I'm about the same size as you, running the same size ski/same fin numbers (but not quite at your level though - I'm 32 off w/a few at 35, 34 mph.  Running D3 Leverage bindings rather than Animals, everything else pretty much identical to your setup).

What I've found is if the ski hesitates at the finish of the turn the fin needs to go forward a bit.  About a quarter-turn at a time (around 0.005) until it quits exhibiting the stalling.  Conversely if you get tip rise at the finish of the turn the fin needs to go towards the back of the ski a bit.  Works for me, I hope it's of some help to you.

Ed

#3 Sun, Sep 30, 2007 2:44 AM

tb

Thanks for the help.   I was thinking of trying the fin around .800 to help my onside.   What are your thoughts on getting the ski to be more aggressive on my offside?   Thanks!

#4 Sun, Sep 30, 2007 1:51 PM

Ed Obermeier

Probably can't be much help to you there, personally I've had no issues whatsoever with the onsides on this ski.  My problems manifest themselves on the off side and what I posted above is what I've found for that. 

Generally the more the tip of the ski stays down on the offside the better it's gonna hook up (if that's what you mean by aggressive) and flow through the turn but you have to find that point between showing a tendency to stall at the finish of the turn and getting tip rise.  Moving .005 at a time you'll be able to feel the difference and that point won't be hard to find, I've made only a couple of moves towards the back on mine as the water cools off and it's fixed the issue  both times.  I can't say why you'd have a problem establishing good angle from the off side - the only time it's an issue for me is if I'm impatient and don't let the ski completely finish the turn before starting to pull.

Again I don't know if this is of any help but this is my impression of the ski.

Ed

#5 Sun, Sep 30, 2007 2:55 PM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

TB - One thing that just help me dramatically as LFF on the 66" MPD was "the punch", extending my arm going into 1 ball with my thumbs up, whereas before i was thumbs down which was dropping my hips and doing all kinds of stuff by the time i got to 3 ball...that change in position and getting full extension just seemed to make the ski come RIGHT AROUND!!!giving me much more time on my 2-4 offside...

of course i've got lots of other stuff to work on like KEEPING MY ARMS STRAIGHT, i know Wade, one thing at a time!!! wink

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#6 Fri, Oct 5, 2007 3:48 AM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

TB,
     The bevels on this ski are very supportive.  They are sharper than those of the Goode which means you can be much more aggressive especially on the off-side turn.  It takes a little while to understand what I'm saying, but basically you can turn harder WITHOUT being punished.  The MPD is the first ski where I feel like I can go 100% without being worried about blow out.  Ski with this mentality and I think you will start to feel better with your set-up.  If not, give us a post about what you like and don't like and we'll try to dial you in.

Chris

#7 Sat, Oct 6, 2007 3:46 AM

tb

Chris:

Thanks............went out last night and started to feel what you are describing.    I am running the standard setup now, and I think with the DFT being .79 my onside and angle I get is unbelievable.   My offside will feel good occasionally,  but it still does not "hook up" right out of the turn as much as I would like.   I get a hesitation with the tip rising a bit.   Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#8 Sat, Oct 6, 2007 11:54 AM

Ed Obermeier

Take the fin towards the back of the ski 1/4 turn on the set screw (in other words, back the set screw off 1/4 turn) and double check all other numbers to make sure they're still spot on.  Should take out the tip rise and make it feel like it's on a rail.  I've made 3 such adjustments on mine as the water has gotten cooler and it 's solved the issue each time.  If it starts to feel like it's grabbing a bit at the finish of the off side you've gone back a little too far.

Ed

Board footer