Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Aug 17, 2007 5:12 PM

JSKIER

Setup Help

Hey if anyone could help make sure my settings are wacky i would really appreciate it...

I am 6ft 185 and am riding a SIXAM 1.1. 
I am running 22@36 pretty well...28@36 inconsistently

Depth: 2.43
Length: 6.878
Dist F Tail: .814
Heel to Tail...30 and 3/4

The bindings are one back from their neutral settings....

Thanks.  I am not a tinkerer...but the only thing i can say i am having problems falling "out the back" in my onside turns....struggling to keep my CM moving forward...

#2 Fri, Aug 17, 2007 11:50 PM

Shark

Re: Setup Help

What size of ski - is this the 67.5??

#3 Fri, Aug 17, 2007 11:51 PM

Shark

Sorry - I see it's the 69" - That's a big ski for 36MPH. What is the reason for that size??

#4 Fri, Aug 17, 2007 11:59 PM

Shark

Here are some computer generated numbers for your weight, using pretty slow water (125 uS) and 80 DegF.    

31.00"   7.003  2.492    0.895 - wing 6 to 8, no more.

Hard to tell without video and conditions info, but these should put more ski in the water, but at the same time shorten your turn radius, get you wider before the ball and keep you moving through the turn better.

#5 Mon, Aug 20, 2007 2:32 PM

JSKIER

Thanks Shark...
I don't have any great reason for the 69 other than i tried it at Drew Ross's and it felt pretty good.

That's quite a bit more tip and DFT than i have been using....would moving the bindings up one accomplish a little of that without mucking with the fin right away?

thanks

#6 Tue, Aug 28, 2007 6:01 PM

Shark

The planing angle of a ski is controlled by your boot position on the ski. A light skier on a large ski will plane with insufficient contact under the front boot =  tip high. To correct this, the boots go forward along with the fin to maintain the required slip in the ski, that's why the DFT # is higher. Basically you are climbing ahead on the ski, and putting more ski behind you for support and cross course speed generation.

The fin setting is to improve the performance of the ski as it rolls onto edge, putting more ski into the water before the ball, and allow for a faster turn as well. If the boots forward setting is necessary, then this fin setting is used for the same reasons.

#7 Wed, Aug 29, 2007 6:15 PM

JSKIER

Thanks shark-
that makes sense.  would i need to add tip though in addition to the binding and DFT?  seems like i should maybe just try that move first?

Board footer