Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Aug 27, 2007 6:07 PM

JC

68" MPD numbers

Looking for some fin/binding help with my 68'' MPD. Recently switched from an old D3 custom 4 - 69.5'', was consistently running into 32' at 36 mph. Since the switch can barely run 22' off never mind 28 or 32. Not sure on current settings, just looking to start somewhere. The ski turns unreal, but can't seem to maintain any angle or get wide. I know my style needs work and lots of people are rocking this ski so I want to give it a chance because I can see flashes of greatness in it. But it sucks losing 2 passes when you upgrade skis. I am 6'1'' and 200 lbs so the length should be OK. Gold fin. Any help would be appreciated!

#2 Mon, Aug 27, 2007 9:30 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: 68" MPD numbers

JC,
     A couple of questions:
1)  what boots do you use
2)  rear boot or toe loop

What are your current settings?  Front boot location, rear boot location (in inches from heel to back of ski), depth of fin, length using tips of caliper, tail measurement, and wing angle?

CR

#3 Tue, Aug 28, 2007 12:12 AM

JC

First of all, thanks for the quick response CR. Here are my settings - I use D3 leverage double bindings with a HO rear plate and they are in the middle holes or neutral- the front is 30.25 from the horseshoe to the back and the rear is 17.50'' - Fin distance from tale is 0.79 - length is 6.880 with tips and depth is 2.505 - the wing is about 8*. There is about an 1.25-1.5'' distance between my rear foot (toe) and the front heel / horseshoe because of the D3 binding placement on the HO plate, not sure what is normal. Hope this isn't to confusing. I appreciate you taking the time to help out a sandbagger such as myself.

#4 Tue, Aug 28, 2007 10:04 PM

Ed Obermeier

JC,

I don't pretend to know one-one hundredth of what Chris knows about this subject, however this is what is working for myself and a friend with an almost identical setup so I'll post it for whatever it may be worth to you.

I'm about the same size as you (6'3", 205 lbs, deep 32 into 35 off) and on the same length MPD using identical D3 boots as yours, rear on an Animal plate like yours.  I also know another fellow I occasionally ski with, almost identical to you in size, using the same length MPD and the same exact binding setup (he's running 35 into 38 off), so maybe this will be of some value.

We're both running the bindings one hole back from center (measurement from tail 30" as near as I can get).  Fin numbers for both are L=6.850 tips, D=2.505, DFT=0.805 (D3 method, as near as I can measure it anyway...).  With this setup mine runs smoothly through the turns on both sides with little slow down, finishs with loads of angle, and gets across course quickly.  If you're noticing any tendency for the ski to want to stop on your offside turns you definitely need to move the bindings back one hole IMO.  I ran my bindings center hole initally, but once the water warmed up the ski would stop at the apex of the off side turn and want to pitch me out the front.  Moving the bindings back a hole fixed the problem.

This works for a couple of us anyway, hope it's of some value to you.

Ed

Board footer